Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OFSTED inspections for HM Forces

I'm not sure about Melanie's statement that "Our inspections place the interests and experiences of recruits and trainees at the heart of our work". I think one could argue that the interests of the armed forces is paramount. I understand the argument which goes 'serving the interests of the recruit serves the interests of the forces' but that is not, I think, how it will play out. Nobody will be allowed to fail anything ever again now that OFSTED have their hands on training. Any and all failures will be treated as the fault of the training team or trades instructors for the simple reason that OFSTED will argue that there is no such thing as the bone or unsuitable trainee. According to some of the ARRSE threads technical trades people are already being allowed to pass courses with a mark of 40% and it will get worse. Don't believe me? Wait and see.

OFSTED
 

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
HarryBosch said:
I'm not sure about Melanie's statement that "Our inspections place the interests and experiences of recruits and trainees at the heart of our work". I think one could argue that the interests of the armed forces is paramount. I understand the argument which goes 'serving the interests of the recruit serves the interests of the forces' but that is not, I think, how it will play out. Nobody will be allowed to fail anything ever again now that OFSTED have their hands on training. Any and all failures will be treated as the fault of the training team or trades instructors for the simple reason that OFSTED will argue that there is no such thing as the bone or unsuitable trainee. According to some of the ARRSE threads technical trades people are already being allowed to pass courses with a mark of 40% and it will get worse. Don't believe me? Wait and see.

OFSTED

Can tell you for fact Harry thats been the pass mark at Sultan for a long time.
 
You're not even half good enough ... Pass! Perhaps baby bootnecks will soon be able pass out if they complete about one and a half cdo tests :)
 

chieftiff

War Hero
Moderator
I wouldn't worry about it too much Harry, it's nothing more than a self appreciation and advertising exercise. The Armed Forces have been subject to inspection from the Adult Learning Inspectorte for years, "NEW OFSTED" as they comically call themselves are nothing more than "OLD OFSTED" combined with some other organisations, one of which is............ you guessed it the ALI.

The threat of inspection by ALI was good for the services, it introduced several policies which had been lacking for some time: A robust QA process for dealing with failure, a robust qualification process for instructors (all instructors dealing with under 18 are currently trained to BTEC level 4 in instructional studies including the pink and fluffy arts so much lacking in the past) All instructors dealing with the vulnerable (specifically under 18's) must now undergo CRB checks and there is full funding and membership eligibility of the IfL specifically for servicemen to continue with CPD with the aim of becoming a fully qualified teaching professional. The school I have just left in my pursuit of civilian happiness has encouraged all its staff to gain the the CertEd and now the QTLS qual, their pass marks range between 65% and 80% depending on the qualification (mechanics or technicians) and we had a 3% rate of "deferred success" and 0.15% failure rate.

To be honest most military colleges now operate on a par with the civilian ones, introduction of so many civvy instructors has ensured that. OFSTED's approach to inspections may ruffle some feathers (on both sides!) but the big changes already occurred when the ALI signed their memo of understanding.
 

Karma

War Hero
Audit by external organisations is nothing new, and since we're now handing out civvy qualifications on many course then it's got to happen.

Notwithstanding that, I can see your concerns about OFSTED, although I'd argue that part of the problem is that OFSTED don't offer a fresh pair of eyes, merely retired Heads of Department and Head Teachers who just end up perpetuating the same old adherence to process and making sure the evidence is all ticked off, rather than looking at the outcomes.
 
witsend said:
HarryBosch said:
I'm not sure about Melanie's statement that "Our inspections place the interests and experiences of recruits and trainees at the heart of our work". I think one could argue that the interests of the armed forces is paramount. I understand the argument which goes 'serving the interests of the recruit serves the interests of the forces' but that is not, I think, how it will play out. Nobody will be allowed to fail anything ever again now that OFSTED have their hands on training. Any and all failures will be treated as the fault of the training team or trades instructors for the simple reason that OFSTED will argue that there is no such thing as the bone or unsuitable trainee. According to some of the ARRSE threads technical trades people are already being allowed to pass courses with a mark of 40% and it will get worse. Don't believe me? Wait and see.

OFSTED

Can tell you for fact Harry thats been the pass mark at Sultan for a long time.
#

it may be the pass mark for the stokers but the WOO's have to get 50%. No inference is being made that we are cleverer in any way i promise
 
In another thread concerning the educational establishment, we are being banned from schools. Shorely the appropriate response is obvious here?
 

Karma

War Hero
drunken_engineer said:
In another thread concerning the educational establishment, we are being banned from schools. Shorely the appropriate response is obvious here?

Different beasts. OFSTED is central government, the NUT is a bunch of left wing trade unionists. In the education sector the actual level of central control over Local Education Authorities, schools and FE colleges is pretty patchy.
 
Hi Chief and Karma,
I see where you are both coming from. However, I think the military has much to teach those who wish to make teaching ever more prescriptive. On my command courses I remember having to follow a certain format (Revise, Introduce, Main Body, Conclusion, Discussion/Q&A, Look Forward .. I think:) ) but when I did my PGCE I was shocked at how teachers are regarded in terms of the lowest common denominator. In civilian teaching it does not matter what one's experience is, OFSTED will always assume you are useless or bone until they 'discover' otherwise. The 'discovery' that you are a good teacher is, of course, highly dependent upon how many boxes tyou can get ticked in 1 hour. God forbid one does something outside of the tick sheet! That's when one needs the confidence and experience to look them in the eye and let them know that one not onbly knows how to teach but that one continues to learn from Head Teachers still in the trade rather than headteachers who long ago jumped ship.

I'm in a new job and during my interview I told tham that I had learnt nothing about teaching that I did not learn as a JNCO, SNCO and PW. The only difference is, I informed them, was that I learnt about how to be a good teacher without even knowing who the **** Vygotsky was! At interview, I asked them to consider that Vygotsky (for all his democratic sounding views about education) was an out and out Marxist and that his left wing views are visible in his writings concerning the education of young children. I then asked the panel what they thought about celebrating somebody so closely linked to education a la Soviet style. They were, of course, left speechless! :)
 
True Karma, and I stand corrected. Maybe if they did a better job looking at the school output we could do away with recruiting tests and NAMET. Is OFSTED coming in to check that the RN is picking up where schools leave off and teaching 16-17 year olds to read, write and add up?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Ofsted: phased return to inspections MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted consults on new approach to Cafcass inspections MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted suspends all routine inspections MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Routine Ofsted inspections suspended in response to coronavirus MoD News 0
R12_CV OFSTED Inspections slate all three services... Bases / Shore Est 21
MoD_RSS Amanda Spielman launches Ofsted's Annual Report 2019/20 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted warns of risk to children ‘out of sight’ during pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted announces new early years inspection arrangements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted: Children hardest hit by COVID-19 pandemic are regressing in basic skills and learning MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Ofsted report highlights need to get matching right MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted: School leaders determined pupils won’t become 'the COVID generation' MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted seeks to make oversight of subcontractors more comprehensive and transparent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted support for area SEND arrangements this autumn term MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted visits to schools and colleges to begin this month MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted statement on new Ofqual board committee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted to visit local authorities and children’s social care providers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted to visit nurseries and childminders this autumn MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to Ofsted’s post-inspection processes and complaints handling MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Ofsted chair announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted replaces Ofsted Online website MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted to visit when schools and colleges return in the autumn MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted wins landmark prosecution case of school that breached conditions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted to review students’ and apprentices’ online further education experience MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted seeks views on proposals to revise post-inspection arrangements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted launches point-in-time surveys MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted consults on changes to inspection framework for teacher training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Amanda Spielman launches Ofsted's Annual Report 2018/19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Why we do research at Ofsted MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted publications during pre-election period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted launches point-in-time surveys MoD News 0
MoD_RSS What’s changing at Ofsted in autumn 2019? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted is changing how it inspects schools MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Ofsted board members MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted: Let us inspect multi-academy trusts (MATs) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Multi-academy trusts: discussing Ofsted's research on their role and accountability MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Ofsted Chief Inspector repeats call for outstanding school exemption to be lifted as more schools lose top Ofsted grade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Ofsted’s new inspection arrangements to focus on curriculum, behaviour and development MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: 9 out of 10 parents know the Ofsted rating of their child’s school or childcare provider MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Ofsted launches point-in-time surveys MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Ofsted reports during local elections pre-election silence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Ofsted: Stronger partnerships needed to tackle knife crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Ofsted launches a consultation on proposals for changes to the education inspection framework MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Statement on Court of Appeal judgment: Durand Academy Trust -v- Ofsted MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Ofsted Early Years Pedagogy and Practice Forum members announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Amanda Spielman launches Ofsted's Annual Report 2017/18 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Ofsted Chief Inspector launches her second Annual Report on state of education and children’s care in England MoD News 0
soleil FE Week: "Ofsted Watch: Royal Navy Apprenticeships Are ‘Outstanding’" Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS News story: Ofsted rates Armed Forces initial training outstanding and good MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Ofsted awards RAF Apprenticeship Scheme top marks MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News story: Army apprenticeships impress Ofsted MoD News 0
Similar threads


















































Top