Official - RNR Get a "New" Reserve Training Centre.

trehorn2

Lantern Swinger
Prochnow,

You're welcome matey - anytime. I must remember my thermals next time though. And a hot flask of tea.

HOW COLD!!!!

I was a dead loss for the rest of the day.

trehorn2

Lantern Swinger
stirling said:
So CERES has one officer/ SR to every two JR's....good manning :dwarf: :thumright:

Where was the last unit you saw that was evenly manned? Add to that the "direct officer entry" and your just asking for brass.

Only two of the officers in the unit photo have become so since we have been in existence. All of the others have arrived at CERES "ready made" from either the RN or other RTC's.

Would you prefer us to turn them away? "Sorry guv, we're top heavy on brass. JR's only mate", great idea!

As for the senior rates one is a PSI, one has worked his way through the RNR and the other two are ex-RN.

We're not a brass-o-phobe are we?

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
rosinacarley said:
...Brighton unit (name? sorry old age) with KA in Portsmouth.

buster said:
sussex rings a bell. but my mind plays tricks on me .

Correct - the Brighton unit was Sussex; however it wasn't merged with KA - KA was formed as a result of the merger of Sussex, Wessex and Southwick.

I was member of Sussex from '92 until it closure in '94 and was one of the chosen who was allowed to transfer (we all had to apply). There seemed to be some fairly arbitary decisions about who was transferred over with people local to Pompey being binned while others from many miles away being transferred - the powers that be then wondered why attendance at drill nights was so low. A further dis-incentive to attendance was the proposal that the KA duty watch should be attached to the Excellent main-gate duty watch and should be available from 1830 to 2330.

Another bone of contention from the early days of KA was the large number of technical rates (stokers etc) that were allowed to transfer to KA pending a final decision on the disposition of their branches (despite the loss of 10 MCM and the sweepers). As soon as the formal commissioning ceremony had been held in June 94 they were quickly shown the door as SNLR - there was much bad feeling about this amongst the Sussex Old & Bold!

Like others, I'm glad tro see the RNR beginning to think strategically about where to operate - anyone fancy opening a unit in Petawawa so I can rejoin? :)

FlagWagger said:
rosinacarley said:
...Brighton unit (name? sorry old age) with KA in Portsmouth.

buster said:
sussex rings a bell. but my mind plays tricks on me .

Correct - the Brighton unit was Sussex; however it wasn't merged with KA - KA was formed as a result of the merger of Sussex, Wessex and Southwick.

I was member of Sussex from '92 until it closure in '94 and was one of the chosen who was allowed to transfer (we all had to apply). There seemed to be some fairly arbitary decisions about who was transferred over with people local to Pompey being binned while others from many miles away being transferred - the powers that be then wondered why attendance at drill nights was so low. A further dis-incentive to attendance was the proposal that the KA duty watch should be attached to the Excellent main-gate duty watch and should be available from 1830 to 2330.

Another bone of contention from the early days of KA was the large number of technical rates (stokers etc) that were allowed to transfer to KA pending a final decision on the disposition of their branches (despite the loss of 10 MCM and the sweepers). As soon as the formal commissioning ceremony had been held in June 94 they were quickly shown the door as SNLR - there was much bad feeling about this amongst the Sussex Old & Bold!

Like others, I'm glad tro see the RNR beginning to think strategically about where to operate - anyone fancy opening a unit in Petawawa so I can rejoin? :)

Thanks for sharing that FW, I was Vivid at the time and we were so caught up with being branch transferred from ROs to Ops(HQ) - and what a success that branch turned out to be!

stirling2

Banned
trehorn2 said:
stirling said:
So CERES has one officer/ SR to every two JR's....good manning :dwarf: :thumright:

Where was the last unit you saw that was evenly manned? Add to that the "direct officer entry" and your just asking for brass.

Only two of the officers in the unit photo have become so since we have been in existence. All of the others have arrived at CERES "ready made" from either the RN or other RTC's.

Would you prefer us to turn them away? "Sorry guv, we're top heavy on brass. JR's only mate", great idea!

As for the senior rates one is a PSI, one has worked his way through the RNR and the other two are ex-RN.

We're not a brass-o-phobe are we?

Wind your neck in Trehorn......the emotions in my post should have told you i was having a laff. :rendeer: :rendeer:

trehorn

War Hero
Sorry mate, but i cant believe that something POSITIVE like this can be turned into something to complain about!

I'm starting to believe the stories about this section of RR.

Yes, i know! If i dont like it i know what i can do, yawn!!!!

grumbly

As part of the ship's company of Leeds CTC who were commissioned as HMS CERES on Sunday 7 October 1984 I am delighted to see it rise from the ashes of the Options for Change cuts of the early 90s.

icantfly

Lantern Swinger
trehorn said:
Sorry mate, but i cant believe that something POSITIVE like this can be turned into something to complain about!

I'm starting to believe the stories about this section of RR.

Yes, i know! If i dont like it i know what i can do, yawn!!!!

Well, my comment is pretty simple. You've all done a bloody good job, so congrats and good luck for the future!!

:thumright:

Bisley

War Hero
Apart from this sight there doesn't seem to be much publicity about this new reserve unit. Not even on the RN web site. Is this being kept quiet for reason?? ^_^;

trehorn

War Hero
Probably just one of those things that will quietly happen. We'll make plenty of noise about it but how much coverage it will get elsewhere i dont know.

When the unit first opened we sent a nice article into NN with photo's of the OIC, the unit etc etc. We thought it deserved a bit of publicity as it was the only RN establishment in Yorkshire since Forest Moor went civvy.

NN were kind enough to shrink our article from a good A4 size to approx 3" by 2" write up with no phots.

Always seems to be the same with NN. They don't seem to like putting photo's of reservists in their publications.

itsamuppet

Lantern Swinger
You need to have a Sea Cadet Unit Affiliated to you then you get 5 pages to yourself.

Lets face it the NN gives the RNR a wide berth as most of it is covered by the Maritime Reserve Publication, which is great but only available to the minority who already know what a great job we are doing.

Without decent publicity we won't attract enough people to fill these new units. the latest advert in the NN for reserves is half the size of our competitors and we don't even get a mention in the Navys TV ad's unlike the other two reserve forces.

Hopefully your local rags will give you the support you quite rightly deserve and allow you to get in plenty of free advertising.