Official histories-WW2 submarines

Discussion in 'History' started by spearfish, Apr 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What official histories were written about RN submarine operations in WW2?

2. Don't think there was anything other than the 'Staff History' series volumes that dealt with the areas of conflict and submarine operations as a part of the overall picture.

They did a book called HM Submarines in about 1942 as a HMSO book.

If you can get hold of 'the British Submarine' by Commander FW Lipscombe its a good reliable book based on the Staff Histories.
    Another one is Brit Subs at war 1939-45 by Alistair Mars

3. One of the finest books about Submarines in WW2 is "War Beneath the Sea", by Peter Padfield - covers the submarine operations of all nations and puts them into perspective. There is a semi-official history, with the accent on the RN, by Cdr Richard Compton-Hall - The Underwater War 39-45. Technical details of the world's WW2 submarines is in Ermilio Bagnasco's aptly-named "Submarines of World War Two". Try Googling for the above or look at Amazon.

Any particular questions you had?

4. Thankyou for the replies.It was the title of the staff histories I was after.I have got the others you mention,plus one by Lt.Cdr.Mars on RN boats in ww2

5. Another good reference dit - Silent Victory by Clay Blair Jr
    Printed 1975 ,1072 pages,the complete history of ww2 US submarine operations.

6. I think my brother has a book on covering Submarines that have sunk other submarines.