Officers vs Rating

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by wannabeloggy, Oct 12, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

I have my AIB in 4 weeks and just wanted to get some questions clear...

What's the real difference between the role of an Officer vs a senior rating?
    Logistics vs Warfare?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    1. Hi all,

I have my AIB in 4 weeks and just wanted to get some questions clear...

What's the real difference between the role of an Officer vs a senior rating?
      Logistics vs Warfare?

2. The officer informs th senior rate of the job requirement, the senior rate then plans and implements the task. Junior ratings then carry out the actual work

3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Ratings follow a career path intended to make them deep technical orsubject matter experts. Officers follow a career path to make them broader leaders and strategic managers for the navy.

4. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

An Officer is an Officer from day one. A senior rating has to work for years to attain the rank. At least they used to?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good questions. What do you think the answers are?

A precis of branch functions:

Warfare - Fight the ship
    Logistics - Enable the ship to fight

6. Internal battle vs external battle

• Like Like x 1
  7. FOOD/FIGHT!!!!

8. Oh, that's disappointing.
    Having read the thread title I thought this was going to be "Who would win in a fight between..." :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I find it difficult to believe that God's gift to the AIB is within a month of the encounter and hasn't got that qn sorted. Let us know how you get on.

• Like Like x 3
  11. typical AIB question.
    A pretty basic one at that

12. I was wondering if the Royal Navy used an "up or out" process for officer promotion like the USN or it was still possible for an officer to spend his entire career as a Lieutenant, like the Royal Navy of Nelson's time?
    If so, when did things change?

13. Anybody suffering from Deja-Vu?
    :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Threads merged

15. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

These are questions 4 weeks before your AIB? I don't think so. Blatant trolling.

16. The senior rates run the Navy while the officers just pretend they do. It's worked well for a few years now :)

• Like Like x 3
  17. Pontius you are my kind of occifer, we were lucky in the FAA too have aircrew who knew their place...................................breaking their toys so we maintainers had plenty to keep us occupied then cancelling night flying so we could have early chops:D