Officers steward uniform 1946

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
No doubt I'm going to have the p*ss taken out of me, and my apologies for bumping such an old thread; but Class III rig was retained for Artificer Apprentices and Local Entry Ratings (from Hong Kong) after they were generally withdrawn in 1956 for most civil branch junior ratings (this was also about the time civil branch officers lost their distinction cloth colours, apart from doctors and a few others); until it's final demise in September 1997, when it was deleted. No doubt that had something with handing Hong Kong back to China.
The LEP chefs and stewards all wore that rig on the Rusty B when I was on there 1974 - 1977, they all disappeared when it was de-commissioned in late '76 though

Skipperino

Badgeman
Junior ratings of the supply and secretarial, regulating, and medical branches wore Class III rig until 1956, when they were put back into square rig (I think there may have been others), but I think there were several non-tiffs that wore it between that date and 1966, anyone have any idea who that was?

So would the chefs and stewards have worn the diagonal Serge suit with black buttons and red cap badge, or the tropical tunic with white buttons (the tropics version of Class III)?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
They wore black buttons and red cap badge IIRC. I never saw them in full tropical rig as far as I remember. The commissioning book shows them in white shorts and trop shirts with black socks and shoes.

Junior ratings of the supply and secretarial, regulating, and medical branches wore Class III rig until 1956, when they were put back into square rig (I think there may have been others), but I think there were several non-tiffs that wore it between that date and 1966, anyone have any idea who that was?

So would the chefs and stewards have worn the diagonal Serge suit with black buttons and red cap badge, or the tropical tunic with white buttons (the tropics version of Class III)?

When my Great-Granddad (a former comms rating) visited me at Raleigh for my passing out parade, he wouldn't stop dripping about me being in class II rig as apparently I'd not earned the right to wear it, being an SA and not a seaman.

Latest Threads