Officers' Rank Lace - London

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Green_and_Blue, Aug 23, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone recommend somewhere in London able to stripe up Officers uniforms.

I am looking for something closer to the Uniforium quote of £45.

Rather than the Gieves quote of £170+
  2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

For Admiral of the Fleet lace and sewing £170 is a bargain. Assuming you are a Sub Lieutenant, that's steep but that's Gieves.

Go to Waterloo and get on a train to Pompey.
  3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

You could try PJHQ - they have a tailor (Gary Beverly?) who comes in regularly and he can probably do it.

Question is, by the time you've made two trips to Portsmouth, will it be cheaper than just paying G&H in the first place?
  4. Two off peak returns £80.
  5. Just put it on with Velcro.................................Thats what a lot of Matelots did with their Hooks:p
    Worked for them:(
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Seadog

London to Pompey postage: £5

I sent my mess jacket from Shrivenham to get laced at Baun. I wouldn't buy kit from them but their lacework is fine. They added a few quid to the bill for posting it back.
  7. Shrivenham Seadog.................Some people get all the cushty numbers:(
  8. Seadog

I wouldn't call any of the Command and Staff Courses cushty. Life as DS less so, they tell me.

But I loved it. Education not training.
  9. Gieves uniform and lacing is an investment. An excellent place to network and give a good impression to those above. Even middies should consider building relationships with staff there. A Gieves uniform always fits better and stands you out from the crowd.
  10. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Agree - busy site, with a lot of people taken by surprise by how much work is involved in the courses.
  11. When Mark Stanhope was 1SL, he allegedly (according to their tailor visiting Collingwood, anyway) got his #1s from Turner Virr: since they had the BRNC contract, if they were good enough for the cadets they were good enough for the boss.

I got my cap from Gieves, my 1s from Turner Virr and the rest of my kit is all pussers' issue - I went through the "ally kit" routine in the TA in the 1980s and all the stuff we bought ourselves then is standard issue now anyway...
  12. Are you in the Modern RN?
    You sound more like a precocious social climber from the 60s
    Steward load up my Purdeys.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. I guess needing to stand out from the rest with your uniform was a reflection on the fact you didn't stand out from the rest with the quality of your work, all your posts now start to make sense.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. One might be surprised........if one refrained from leaping to conclusions. Such fun!
  15. Fixed that for you , no charge.
  16. All sorted. Thank you for the help.
    Pre booked with T&V to save on "5 week turn around time".
    Post down and back.
  17. Brittania
    I believe that you are Norman and I claim my £5:00
    If you are not Norman then you are Son of Norman
  18. Pleased you got it sorted and sorry for derailing your thread.
  19. I am not Norman and I am neither son (nor indeed daughter) of Norman. I am keeping the money. Thank you.
  20. Who is Brittania?
    He is neither Norman or Son of Norman, he is not even the Pimpernell.
    Investigate his existance in the new thread coming to a site not to far from you soon