Officers and Leadership

Seadog

War Hero
Who knew?

Should we ever face a conflict where battle winning risk taking is needed, it would be interesting to see if behaviour could be amended.
There's a scene in Star Trek TNG ( so phaser me ) in which Picard is briefing his officers on some galactic grand strategic way to restore the correct timeline. Someone speaks out and Picard says, "this is a briefing, I'm not seeking your consent".

Commander's intent, not Committee's intent.

I notice the classic miss-management approach I have seen many time, commonly called Shite Hawk Management, is missing

For those not familiar with this management technique, Bod with influence enters arena, screams, shouts, squawks and throws shite in all directions, then leaves, those left behind, sometimes with the WTF (edited due to Dapps observation) expression on their faces, sort out the crap and get on with the job.

Those that use this method, unless they have a guardian angle in higher places don’t get too far up the ladder, sometimes one rung above their level of incompetence. True leaders seem to have the ability to rise to the top, whatever they do, the military may tune and mould these skills, but the drive and commitment was given to these people from birth, nothing to do with silver spoon in mouth either.

Last edited:
Like I'm wearing at the moment!
I’ll put it into Chefy terms, Capt SO has just drained down on SO, about the inefficiency of his department, he has no idea what the Capt is talking about, but is not taking a rollicking lying down, so enters the gallery makes a lot of noise, throws shite at all those present, then sods off, Chefs all look at each other think WTF and get back to cooking scran.

I’ll put it into Chefy terms, Capt SO has just drained down on SO, about the inefficiency of his department, he has no idea what the Capt is talking about, but is not taking a rollicking lying down, so enters the gallery makes a lot of noise, throws shite at all those present, then sods off, Chefs all look at each other think WTF and get back to cooking scran.
Oh, I see. WTF. That's not quite what you said! :D:D
I should have known better by now!

I think that the examples of leadership relating to SCOOW or ME OOW being directive are not strictly correct.

This area is the blurred area between command and leadership. Giving someone direction to steer, revs, machinery ops are more along the command mode rather than leadership. The same officer or NCO asking someone to do a similar operation without the OOW tag would be leadership.

Being retired from RN but having since worked in the O&G industry there are similar times when you need leadership and others where you need command. Leadership to get the team pulling together to get the plant up and running again to make money, command when directing people to board a chopper or when you perform platform drills (or exceptionally have to deal with a Major Accident Hazard for real).

Some civvies still get confused about the skills we gain in the armed forces and think all we do is bark orders at everyone. When we tell them of the leadership skills we have and the difference between command and leadership they tend to be even more impressed that many possess both skill sets.

However, the long term benefits of suncreen have been medically proven (especially in the Gulf), and if I could offer just one piece of advice, it would be to wear suncreeen*...
A great piece of advice, I have been suffering with facial and head skin cancer for several years, two months ago I had some cut out of my left shoulder, put paid to my golf for two months.

Hello,

I was originally applying to be a Warfare Officer however things went sour with my colour vision.

I am considering applying for TMO.

I was wondering what you do in this role and where could you be in that role in 10-20 years

Thanks

Seadog

War Hero
Hello,

I was originally applying to be a Warfare Officer however things went sour with my colour vision.

I am considering applying for TMO.

I was wondering what you do in this role and where could you be in that role in 10-20 years

Thanks
Why consider applying for a role that you seem to know nothing about?