Officers and Gentlemen

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by BVGS01, Dec 29, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody know where I could watch the full BRNC documentary officers and gentlemen online? You can buy it but £26 seemed a bit steep. Thanks.
  2. Sorry I just found the other thread on this, although that was a while back.
  3. I'm a gentleman?
  4. Have done a lot of searching online recently for this but can't find it anywhere!
  5. I know, I'm probably going to just buy it because I'm just too desperate to see it. Could I post it here or on YouTube or would that be illegal?
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

News to me, too.

Unless I'm mistaken, Naval Officers are many things, but I thought they were specifically not gentlemen.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. I was told very clearly at Dartmouth that I'm not a gentleman. Of course, that could be because I'm an SUY.
  8. I bought it, I felt like it was worth it for the insight. I couldn't find it anywhere online either other than from tiger lily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Is this a thread about oxymorons?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Well, yes, obviously that also stops you from being a Gentleman, but being a Naval Officer is the first reason why you are not a Gentleman. We were never able to Purchase our Commissions (as Gentlemen did), and instead had to qualify for them.
  11. It seems worth it so I'll just pay up. How good was it?
  12. Yeah I really enjoyed it. You don't get a lot for what you pay for. (4 x 1 hour episodes if my memory serves correctly) however I thought it was great. How much of a real likeness it is to actual training I don't know, I imagine it is toned down slightly. But definitely gives you an idea.

13. Are you joining then?
  14. Yeah. Just waiting for my Aircrew medical results to come back okay and I have joining instructions for BRNC in February.

15. It's only BRNC: you'll have kit to keep clean, you'll do some lectures and stuff, phys will be thrown in, and by the end of it you'll be full of piss and vinegar, ready to take on the Fleet. Enjoy the ride, don't worry about the details before you join up - the place is continually changing, so there is little point in getting hung up on what they did, or didn't, do however many years ago.
  16. Although I haven't started yet I completely agree with you. Everything I've heard backs up every point you just made. However, even if the training structure differers, the vast majority of the experience will be similar. Everyone knows the basics to military training regardless of which branch and which force you join. All I can say is that I thoroughly enjoyed the documentary, it gives you a first hand account from lots of different recruits as to the experiences they have had. The good and the bad. The DVD would never have convinced me not to go because my ultimate goals lie beyond Dartmouth. But what it didn give me was an insight into life at BRNC and also meant I could reassure my very nervous parents. All in all it was worth the £26 to me.

17. You mean you have to take exams!o_O I thought it was just the "Air, Hair, Lair" oral test, or is that just a pongo thing for the Brigade of Guards?
  18. Does this mean I was a Chief Small Gentleman?
  19. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Dartmouth - an average boarding school with an over excited CCF.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. AG you do not need the Oxy bit, Officers hang their swords in shame hence not gentlemen? that's what I understood but I stand to be corrected. May be you are mixed up with that Richard G film about American recruits?