Officer?

YOSEP_83

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Oh dear.
Mr Ryan, if you are serious about joining the Corps, at any level, can I suggest a couple of things?
1. Good officers earn respect largely, in their early days, because they listen and learn from those more experienced and better than them.
2. I wasn't aware that officers went solo, as it were, leaving the team work to the rest. Must have missed that bit in training.
3. Education counts, as gazsmith lucidly points out. So write as though you have a brain.
4. Join the Army.

Toodle pip.

YOSEP_83 said:
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Oh dear.
Mr Ryan, if you are serious about joining the Corps, at any level, can I suggest a couple of things?
1. Good officers earn respect largely, in their early days, because they listen and learn from those more experienced and better than them.
2. I wasn't aware that officers went solo, as it were, leaving the team work to the rest. Must have missed that bit in training.
3. Education counts, as gazsmith lucidly points out. So write as though you have a brain.
4. Join the Army.

Toodle pip.

A sound suggestion for the youg fellow and if he joins the Blues and Royals he could erroneously be given a golden jubilee medal.

Ryan89

Midshipman
I am serious about joining the marines, its what i want to do more than anything, so if you have any useful input that would be great.

I wasnt implying that officers went solo, as gazsmith said, a marine can become an officer but an officer cannot beocme a marine. I want to keep my options open, start at the bottom and work my way up.

I am aware education counts hence the point of this whole topic.

If i wanted to join the fcuking army, i would.

Ryan,

1. Get yourself on a Potential Recruits Course. You'll spend three days at CTCRM and learn more than enough to make your decisions.

2. Stop calling the bootnecks 'marines'. They are Royal Marines in the same way that they belong to the Royal Navy. Institutional pride matters - as you will no doubt learn if you do join-up.

All the best for the future.

Wilberforce_Banyanker said:
Ryan,

2. Stop calling the bootnecks 'marines'. They are Royal Marines in the same way that they belong to the Royal Navy. Institutional pride matters - as you will no doubt learn if you do join-up.

This has already been brought to the young fellows attention so one can only assume he does not learn quickly a fact that does not bode well for a future in the Armed Services.

dondon

MIA
janner said:
The nice Sergeant fellow wakes them with tea and biccies around 0900, unless they've had a heavy night on the booze then its 1000.

Breakfast is served until 1100, followed by some manly things like naked mud wrestling and how to apply makeup properly (they call it something butch like camo cream, but we know the truth), About an hour of this is followed by silver service lunch and then a lay down in the afternoon.

After the afternoon nap the nice Sergeant takes them out for a gentle stroll to make sure they can eat their tea.

Works usually finished by 1600 after that their times their own

Sounds a tad tough to me , might suit the salvation army methinks :roll:

Ryan89

Midshipman
finknottle said:
Wilberforce_Banyanker said:
Ryan,

This has already been brought to the young fellows attention so one can only assume he does not learn quickly a fact that does not bode well for a future in the Armed Services.

alright, i understand, Royal Marines it is then, i didnt realise it was so important.

oldseadog

War Hero
Sound like he wants to join the U/S marines!

Think very carefully, not once or twice, but many times before you even consider applying to become an officer candidate!

Wearing the separate basket means that you will have to be mother and father to those under your command. You will speak to God, if he has the time! You may be the only one to come back from an op! Or you might not!

In my most humble opinion, being an officer is not to be applied for as it is the ability to take whatever shyte comes your way, analysing it, and making sure that you don't fcuk your men up.

If, and I repeat IF, you make it through initial selection (only 1 out of 10,000 applicants do!), then you will have to devote your life to the Corps.
Anything less means that you are letting the Corps down, and should never have been accepted in the first place!

Over the years I have had many sprogs asking me how to become an officer with the Royals. My answer is, and always has been "Don't!! I didn't want it, and now I have had to live with it. Can you?"

Don't let the ramblings of an old man put you off.

Good luck, young man - you'll need it!

OSD

Ryan89

Midshipman
Thanks for the advice, its greatly appreciated. I think, in terms of personality, i have what it takes to be an officer, however my fitness will need to be greatly improved.

Thanks again.

R