officer vs rating

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by Smiffy_85, Oct 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. officer vs rating

hi all,

I recently applied for the officer position in the royal navy but now I am having doubts. I am only at stage one therefore haven't had my psychometric test yet (22nd oct) - does the officer test differ from the rating test?

My friends and family want me to join as an officer as I have the qualifications but I am not very self confident that I will get passed the AIB. I was made redundant back in May and I am just dying to get in to the Navy, but if I go forward for officer and don't get through will I then have to wait a year until I can opt as a rating?

I was told that being a rating at 24 I would be mainly be surrounded by younger people (16/17) and that ratings are treated like shit. Is this true?

If I went in as a rating I would be determined to show committment and develop my experience to go up the ladder.

Can anyone give me any suggestions please?

Copied from blogs (original entry) - post comments here.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

No it's the same test however the focus is on the Literacy & numeracy sections for Officer- you need to aim around a minimum of 70% correct.

No, now that we have a convergence of Officer & Ratings recruiting, it is very straightforward to switch from one to the other.

Absolutely, we flog them with a cat'o'nine tails every day at 05:00 whether they need it or not.

Then again when have you ever heard a disaffected employee say their management are fantastic? If the person telling you this is still serving- ask why.

The average age of Ratings starting phase one training is nearer 20, although you still get plenty joining up to the age of 37, so you'll be far from the oldest in phase one training, rest assured. After the initial training, there are many people who have served many years in the fleet, content to remain a junior rate. Those that don't like being a Junior Rate can either moan about it, go for promotion if they think they can do the job or leave.

You are free to leave in the first 6 months, after serving 4 weeks.

Rather than wonder what if? Give it a go. Try for Officer but be prepared with fall back options.

Good luck.
  3. Thank you for your comments - my mum thinks im overthinking the situation between becoming an officer and rating - She just wants me to go in as an officer!!!

After the psychometric test I understand there is an interview, will the interviewee recommend either to continue as an officer or rating judging by my test results?
  4. You are the interviewee.

It is possible to advance the officer application process without knowing every minute detail about every stage including what the OCLO/AFCO had for breakfast.

Take a deep breath and a short walk to the AFCO.n :wink:
  5. Hello Claire,

A Thread of only a few days ago had an identical heading but asked different questions.

It drew a couple of pages of responses which you, and perhaps your mother, may find of interest.

Please have a look here: