Officer Uniform

slim said:
PO if my grandson had been successful in being accepted at Drtmouth I would be proud to have the opportunity to buy his sword once he had passed out. Only got about another 11 years to wait.
Perhaps a hint to your grandad may help.
I have got his (the Ex-Greenjacket pongo's) bugle... shame I can't play might have tried for Bandie like a good mate of mine. Slight problem is that with the best will in the world neither of my Grandad's could buy me one, slight problem of one having drank too much and the other having smoked too much! My Dad was more than willing to fork out for the sword, he thought of joining the mob when he left school, but he never did, I think he wished he had!

So the recomended buys are 1) Cap from "Gary", 2) Most obviously a good bit of PT kit but 3) should I or should I not get my own sword before/during/after BRNC?

slim

War Hero
Potential_Officer said:
slim said:
PO if my grandson had been successful in being accepted at Drtmouth I would be proud to have the opportunity to buy his sword once he had passed out. Only got about another 11 years to wait.
Perhaps a hint to your grandad may help.
I have got his (the Ex-Greenjacket pongo's) bugle... shame I can't play might have tried for Bandie like a good mate of mine. Slight problem is that with the best will in the world neither of my Grandad's could buy me one, slight problem of one having drank too much and the other having smoked too much! My Dad was more than willing to fork out for the sword, he thought of joining the mob when he left school, but he never did, I think he wished he had!

So the recomended buys are 1) Cap from "Gary", 2) Most obviously a good bit of PT kit but 3) should I or should I not get my own sword before/during/after BRNC?

If dad is willing to buy your sword, accept his offer conditional on it being bought after you finish your training. :smile: Swords are expensive and not everyone completes training :sad:

War Hero
Potential_Officer said:
3) should I or should I not get my own sword before/during/after BRNC?
Before - no need
During - There are better things to be thinking about
After - Only if you really want one.

In practice you very rarely use one, weddings, divisions and courts martial is about it and you can borrow one for each of them.

Last time I carried one was when I got stung as parade commander for some ceremonial in the gulf about seven years ago.

Of course if you get landed with a staff job at Dartmouth, Raleigh or MWS then you'd use it a bit more than that, but I've never managed to p!ss off the appointer quite that much.

ml2sjw

Badgeman
i really hope you can wear you own trainers for running. The ones i got issued with for my AIB were ivery uncomfortable fine for the aib style gyms tasks etc but any running over four miles in them and i'd know about it the next day , I really don't want my feet to be any sorer than they absolutely have to be at BRNC.

Can any one confirm this either way?

Also while on the subject of PT, i had a look at the basic fitness standards i need to be at to avoid remedial PT, currently these are comfortably within my range.

Now i know the real answer to this is to be as fit as i possibly can when i turn up to BRNC but what in peoples opinions should i be aiming for in terms of fitness when i turn up at BRNC to make the PT part not a major issue?, Double the "acceptable" requirments for repititions and about 1/4 under the acceptable time for runs(as thats the theory i'm working on currently)

thanks

Unless things have changed radically in the last 40 years I wouldn't get over obsessed with the futness side, you only have to pass, no extra marks for being better. There will be other activities whic may or may not draw on your fitness that you will need/be able to do that will collect more points than just being super fit. Remeber an officer should be a well rounded personality not a look alike for Mr Schwartzeneger. After all fitness is a solitary sport , get into team sports.

War Hero
I'd second that. I think I finished Dartmouth less fit than when I started.

And yes you can use your own running shoes because the PT staff realise that different people have different bio-mechanical requirements.

I overpronate quite severely and if I was to run in Silver Shadows I'd be crippled in a matter of weeks.

When I did AIB it was white plimsoles, so if you mean then, they're only used in boats nowadays.

bucket

Badgeman
ml2sjw said:
Also while on the subject of PT, i had a look at the basic fitness standards i need to be at to avoid remedial PT, currently these are comfortably within my range.

Now i know the real answer to this is to be as fit as i possibly can when i turn up to BRNC but what in peoples opinions should i be aiming for in terms of fitness when i turn up at BRNC to make the PT part not a major issue?, Double the "acceptable" requirments for repititions and about 1/4 under the acceptable time for runs(as thats the theory i'm working on currently)

thanks
If you are comfortably within the range then don't stress yourselves, the staff will be looking to see you have the drive to push yourself and support your team mates - good leadership skills. Whether you demonstrate this in the gym or elsewhere they will always be keeping an eye. If you know phys is a strong point for you look at others in your class who are maybe a bit weaker there and help them out if they want it. Don't forget what may be your weak point may be their strong point! you never know when you need an oppo!

Don't worry about a sword - not necessary, certainly not until you pass out.

K

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Don't worry about levels of fitness - just get to the standard they proscribe in the booklet you will get and complete your RNFT in the apprpriate time - there are no bunus points for getting a substantially faster time - but killing yourself in the process

When you get to BRNC the main drive will be to get you fit enough for the moor exercises so there will be work in boots and load carrying - with no prior level expected other than your ability to complete the RNFT.

Get the message about the RNFT...??

I find the current emphasis on fitness interesting, when we joined there was no fitness test though most were pretty fit because we almost all played sport at school. We then got fitter at Dartmouth partly because the opportunities for sport were excellent (they even met with approval from the Aussie ASLts who were ther then) and that coupled with the need for cadets to go everywhere except the quarterdeck at the double ensured we left even fitter. Mind you doubling back up from Sandquay after a 2 hour session pulling 32 ft cutters was a trifle painfull.

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Do you know they don't do pulling any more.... gig racing yes, but those early morning boating sessions involving a bunch of unimpressed cadets and even more unimpressed seniors as coxn's....thinning out in a whaler and hiding behind the pontoons in the dark.. happy days.

Anyway - yes, fitness, as I said the fitness is twofold - RNFT for obvious reasons being one and the second being preparation for dartmoor. Again the days of yore have passed on - no more boots dms and puttees.... we try to get more out of them and prepare them in a way that we weren't so that they can concentrate more on what they are supposed to be doing - not to say that they don't get beasted - they just get beasted more thoroughly.... Once the NE phase is finished then the fitness regime is pretty much one that you would recognise Peter.

DMS boots and puttees, we had ordinary boots and our parade gaiters, which you had to get back up to Frank Trickey's standards by your next spell on the parade ground which was usually the next morning. I 'bought' my forst DMS boots (from RM stores0 for parachutetraining as a Sub.

ml2sjw

Badgeman
silverfox said:
- not to say that they don't get beasted - they just get beasted more thoroughly....
Well that's comforting to know :shock: :lol:

That said on the fitness font I'm not obsessed with it, just its one of the few areas where i can actually properly prepare myself for, I was just wondering if i should aim to be far fitter than the basic standards if i want my initial period at BRNC to be slightly less hellish.

I think my fill in job working on EOD consulting is making me a little paranoid, suspecting some kind of trick. Guess I will carry on business and usual fitness program wise and turn up at BRNC at a decent level of fitness.

Also at 174 centimeters and 62KG i think the odds of me being mistaken for Mr Schwarzenegger are rather slim :lol:

Thanks for the advise guys any other pearls of wisdom are more than welcome.

P.S Bucket
. If you know phys is a strong point for you look at others in your class who are maybe a bit weaker there and help them out if they want it. Don't forget what may be your weak point may be their strong point! you never know when you need an oppo!
I was taught that lesson during my sixth form job, for want of a better phrase using "troops to task" is only slightly behind leading by example/inspiration as top characteristics of a good leader to tool i always aspire to use if not always successfully. After all I'm certain part of the reason i passed my AIB was the amount of information i was able to absorb from chatting to the in service candidates on my board as at least two questions on my interview and three on my service knowledge test i picked up. That goes without mentioning the other less tangible things i picked up.

Also Silver fox RNFT my TLA isn't up to speed yet, i assume you mean Royal navy fitness test, have i made an ass out of me......

Silverfox
Do they still have that pleasant punishment ROB Charlie at BRNC, I just used to lovedoubling round the ramps witha Mk4 above my head. It did make Whale Island GI 'encouragements' more bearable though.