Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Officer Uniform

Well having passed the AIB I'm now wondering what happens for when I (still hopefully, two hurdles left to go!) what happens about kit?

Do I buy the lot, suits, boots, sword and all, or am I issued with anything?

Advice appreciated.
 

silverfox

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
Once you get called forward to BRNC you will get a comprehensive set of joining instructions that will tell you everything you need to know. There is no need to rush out and get stuff now, particularly on the sword front.
 
left_handed_sailor said:
You say charity - I say a great release for those inner held frustrations!

Keep saying the same though - somebody will eventuallly believe you!!

The Charity Cross Dress, I believed was a long held tradition in HM Forces and long may it continue!

Thanks for the answers, wasn't thinking of getting anything now, just a heads up so I know, I've not even got a joining date.

But still are there any limitations to the Sword? And I'm assuming you need it with you on arriving.
 

slim

War Hero
Potential_Officer said:
left_handed_sailor said:
You say charity - I say a great release for those inner held frustrations!

Keep saying the same though - somebody will eventuallly believe you!!

The Charity Cross Dress, I believed was a long held tradition in HM Forces and long may it continue!

Thanks for the answers, wasn't thinking of getting anything now, just a heads up so I know, I've not even got a joining date.

But still are there any limitations to the Sword? And I'm assuming you need it with you on arriving.

Hand to hand combat with swords has long since been discontinued.
You will certainly need to take a sword with you to pick up litter when you are on skirmishing duty. You must withdraw your sword from its scabbard (in an officer like manner) and smartly use the tip to pick up said litter (dwelling a pause of two marching paces between each pick-up)
 
Potential_Officer said:
But still are there any limitations to the Sword? And I'm assuming you need it with you on arriving.

PO, you don't need to bring your own sword. Apart from swords being very expensive, you'll probably get arrested on the train for possessing a weapon & end up in jail :wink:

BRNC will provide you with a sword for drill.
 

JeffB

Badgeman
I was in the clothing store at BRNC recently and was told that the issue of uniform is all much more organised than it used to be. As I understand it you will be sent a form with your joining instructions which you return with all your clothing sizes and the kit will be waiting for you in your accommodation on arrival. All sounds a lot more organised than my day when you had to lug everything down to the college yourself.

Time was when the various thieving tailors outfits would fight over the new entry for trade to make your No1 uniform and mess dress (you were given a cash allowance) but I understand that this is now all arranged on a contract basis (after your arrival).

Don't worry about a sword. On the rare occasions that you need one they can be borrowed from the various naval base stores organisations. They really are too expensive to buy unless you really want to show off - (probably not a good idea at BRNC!)
 

silverfox

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
JeffB said:
I was in the clothing store at BRNC recently and was told that the issue of uniform is all much more organised than it used to be. As I understand it you will be sent a form with your joining instructions which you return with all your clothing sizes and the kit will be waiting for you in your accommodation on arrival. All sounds a lot more organised than my day when you had to lug everything down to the college yourself.

Time was when the various thieving tailors outfits would fight over the new entry for trade to make your No1 uniform and mess dress (you were given a cash allowance) but I understand that this is now all arranged on a contract basis (after your arrival).

Don't worry about a sword. On the rare occasions that you need one they can be borrowed from the various naval base stores organisations. They really are too expensive to buy unless you really want to show off - (probably not a good idea at BRNC!)

Thats correct - tip is to pay attention to filling in the measurement forms to avoid faffing about in the first few days, although there is time allocated for such activities, its just that the clothing store is at the top of the hill!!

Top tip for pre joining? Get your fitness sorted. You will get a booklet with a laid out 6 week programme that will get you through the intial weeks - you would not believe how many cadets seemed to think they could ignore it and it will be ok - trust me, it won't and you will save yourself a world of hurt and embuggerance. This was one of my pet hates - fitness is one of the areas where there is no difference between you and the people you aspire to command - how can you possibly start to gain their trust and respect if they can pass and you can't. mini rant over....
 
All good advice guys, much reassuring having seen the prices, yes Gym Membership and talking to my RMR friend about PT is checked off, being a fat knacker doing PT does not sound like a fun prospect!
 

simonjgriffithshr

Lantern Swinger
JeffB said:
the kit will be waiting for you in your accommodation on arrival.
It's not quite that good, although it is only Fisher Hall you have to lug it to your cabins from.

All the uniform is provided and swords are lent out as and when necessary.
 
A

angrydoc

Guest
Sandhurst still operates the cash allowance thing, and the O/Cs all run to their favourite tailors to get their dress uniforms sorted out. Thankfully the RN leads the way in organisation here, and the tailor (Perry, if my memory serves me correctly) will sort all.

Incidentally, Gieves is by far the superior tailor...
 

slim

War Hero
angrydoc said:
Sandhurst still operates the cash allowance thing, and the O/Cs all run to their favourite tailors to get their dress uniforms sorted out. Thankfully the RN leads the way in organisation here, and the tailor (Perry, if my memory serves me correctly) will sort all.

Incidentally, Gieves is by far the superior tailor...

Gieves is also happens to be one of the most expensive. :smile:
 

silverfox

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
Quality costs, I'm afraid..........

What I did as a Mid was to start an allotment of a few quid a month in an account, saved me from pissing it up against a wall and then when I did need something, the cash was there.

Shame I wasn't so bright when it came to cars and mortgages......
 

Brains

Lantern Swinger
Congratulations on your AIB pass P_O! You don't say whether you're going RN or RNR. The answers above are all good for the RN.

If you are becoming an RNR officer then you do not get your no.1s or mess kit provided. Once your appointment is formal, then you get a grant of around £550 which you'll quickly discover doesn't stretch far. It's unlikely to get you 1 made-to-measure suit from one of the 'usual' pompey tailors.

If you're going RNR then try Baun's on Queen St as they do 'off-the-rail' uniforms for c.£250+lacing (I think) or otherwise second hand kit from 'tin trousers' at Nelson or there's always ebay :)
 

sulzer

Lantern Swinger
Re uniform: An ex MN turned RN told me that the trick was to go to a MN outfitter and order a suit BUT tell them not to put the braid on yet as the employing company wasn't decided. Then when required tell them RN, as ever this will be much cheaper than a naval tailor.
 
Brains said:
Congratulations on your AIB pass P_O! You don't say whether you're going RN or RNR. The answers above are all good for the RN.

If you are becoming an RNR officer then you do not get your no.1s or mess kit provided. Once your appointment is formal, then you get a grant of around £550 which you'll quickly discover doesn't stretch far. It's unlikely to get you 1 made-to-measure suit from one of the 'usual' pompey tailors.

If you're going RNR then try Baun's on Queen St as they do 'off-the-rail' uniforms for c.£250+lacing (I think) or otherwise second hand kit from 'tin trousers' at Nelson or there's always ebay :)

No I've sold my soul to Her Majesty's pleasure, subject to Medical and obviously the MoD allocating me a place, I will be there 24/7 say goodbye to those lie-ins and hello to the career that was described as "like being imprisoned, only with the risk of drowning!"

Looking forward to it.

Off topic completely, but if a Matelot is the nickname for "those who work for a living" what is the nickname for Royal Navy officers?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Wearing of Medal Ribbons on Officer No1 Uniform? The Quarterdeck 8
N Buying my officer's No 1 uniform Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 21
MoD_RSS Andrew Garton to take over as BPDTS Chief Financial Officer (CFO) MoD News 0
E 2021 joining timeline - Engineering officer cadet RFA 1
G Change from Officer to Rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Dstl exchange officer inducted into United States Space Force MoD News 0
M Officer requirements UPO/Careers Office 6
D WARFARE OFFICER TRAINING + CAREER PIPELINE (up to date, 2021) Joining the Royal Navy 10
L The Return of the Warrant Officer Two The Fleet 27
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Jonathan Van-Tam opinion piece in The Sunday Telegraph MoD News 0
M Questions regarding the Royal Navy Medical Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Death of serving CNC police officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tom Cargill appointed as new Wilton Park Chief Executive Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mal Singh is to step down as BPDTS Ltd’s Chief Finance Officer MoD News 0
T Diving Officer Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Inspection Report Published: An inspection of the Home Office Presenting Officer function MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty on national alert levels MoD News 0
N Logistic officer UPO/Careers Office 8
K Officer leaving: how much notice? Finance & Pensions 10
R Logistics officer submariner questions Joining the Royal Navy 1
B Met officer questions UPO/Careers Office 16
LandScrubber Deck Officer courses? RFA 14
MoD_RSS Remarks delivered by H.E. Governor Nigel Dakin CMG, and Chief Medical Officer, Dr Nadia Astwood, at the national press conference on COVID vaccination MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from Chief Medical Officer, Professor Chris Whitty about new strain of Covid-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Medical Officer’s annual report outlines health challenges in England MoD News 0
N Chief Petty Officer Eric Cousins. Nearest & Dearest 2
C Warfare Officer Surface to Sub Joining the Royal Navy 2
R Engineering officer or engineering advanced apprenticeship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
L Engineering officer docked duties Submariners 4
jjake101 How do you choose between officer and rating roles? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Former prison officer jailed for longer MoD News 0
TechnicPR RN Police. Rating to officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
MoD_RSS Rich McHugh to take over as the new BPDTS Chief Executive Officer MoD News 0
S Joining Process - Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Finance and Procurement Officer MoD News 0
R What is the average day of a Warfare Officer (submarines) whilst on patrol? Submariners 6
MoD_RSS Puppy lovers should paws for thought to avoid being ‘Petfished’ this Christmas, warns Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Youngest ever officer rewarded for heroism at sea MoD News 0
R Air Traffic Control Officer The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam's Op-Ed MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2
T Waiting Time Warfare Officer Joining the Royal Navy 3
H Engineering Officer question RFA 6
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer briefing on coronavirus (COVID-19): 21 September 2020 MoD News 0
A Intelligence officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
MoD_RSS HMRC appoints Chief Digital and Information Officer MoD News 0
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Cadet Deck officer college choices. RFA 9
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top