Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello

Hoping someone can shed some light for me, I have read the related posts but would love a bit of confirmation as my situation is a little different.

I have recently applied for Logistics Officer, but am now stressing that I'm not going to meet the criteria.

I am in my final year of study for a Ba(Hons) in an art and design subject and am on course to achieve a 2:1.

I understand that you need 180/72 UCAS points to become an officer and this isn't waived with a degree (which I totally agree with especially considering mine isn't the most academic!)

When taking my A-Levels in 2014, due to personal circumstances I pretty much jacked them in and ended with a B & E at A2 and CEE at AS. I know that from this I can only use the B at A2, being 40 points in new money.

My plan was to self teach another A-Level whilst finishing up my degree, to bring me up to the 72 UCAS points required. I did call the careers office and explain this and all seemed fine.

However, I have now read that the UCAS points must be obtained over a 13 month period, which mine, of course, won't be!

Has anyone ever got around this? Or am I going to have to go for rating or sack the A-Level and take a Btec or something to get all 72 this year?

Would really appreciate some advice!

slim

War Hero
Micky Mouse degree holders make Micky Mouse Occifers.
Yer artyfarty degree would be more use on the lower deck but I cannot think what for.
Why is it tht those with Easy option degrees think that they have the same value as Maths and Science degrees?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Yer artyfarty degree would be more use on the lower deck but I cannot think what for.
Why is it tht those with Easy option degrees think that they have the same value as Maths and Science degrees?
I think the OP is well aware that his/her degree isn't the same value as a maths or science degree. This isn't the forum for an anti-officer or anti-arts degree rant Slim.

Last edited:
I appreciate your opinion but, as WreckerL said, I would never consider my degree to have the same value as a Maths or Science one, simply asking for advice on the technicalities. Have contacted my local AFCO this morning for clarification.

slim

War Hero
I think the OP is well aware that his/her degree isn't the same value as a maths or science degree. This isn't the forum for an anti-officer or anti-arts degree rant Slim.
Noted Wrecker
I am not anti-occifer but over the years have become very angry at the way governemnt have encouraged everyone regardless of educational qualifications to attend uni and get a degreee. These degrees are often not worth the parchment they are printed on but the youngster still ends up with a great deal of debt.
I am an advocate for university education but believe that this concept that everyone should have one only diminishes those who have had to work extremely hard for recognised degrees.
By all means let those that wish take Fun degrees but they should be made aware before signing up for them of their worth

slim

War Hero
I appreciate your opinion but, as WreckerL said, I would never consider my degree to have the same value as a Maths or Science one, simply asking for advice on the technicalities. Have contacted my local AFCO this morning for clarification.
Hello StressedOut
Sorry if I upset you that was not the intention.
By all means apply to be an officer in the RN but please be aware that many others with superior qualifications to yours will be fighting for the few jobs on offer.
It could be that your keeness and other qualities show through and you manage to get selected.
Another option of course is to apply to be an RFA officer they have Logistics as well as the RN though I don't know what their entry qualification are.
Best of luck with whatever you decide

Hello StressedOut
Sorry if I upset you that was not the intention.
By all means apply to be an officer in the RN but please be aware that many others with superior qualifications to yours will be fighting for the few jobs on offer.
It could be that your keeness and other qualities show through and you manage to get selected.
Another option of course is to apply to be an RFA officer they have Logistics as well as the RN though I don't know what their entry qualification are.
Best of luck with whatever you decide
Not at all. Thanks for this though. Yes I'm hoping my other life experiences and determination will be appreciated - I must add that whilst an art and design degree, the majority of it is based on technical drawings as well as procurement and budgeting, so hopefully this will be an advantage! Thanks for your help

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Not at all. Thanks for this though. Yes I'm hoping my other life experiences and determination will be appreciated - I must add that whilst an art and design degree, the majority of it is based on technical drawings as well as procurement and budgeting, so hopefully this will be an advantage! Thanks for your help
That's a problem for a lot of us, we see the course/degree title and make a judgement on that alone without knowing the actual course content.

I've got an O level Tech Drawing, does that count/ :)

slim

War Hero
That's a problem for a lot of us, we see the course/degree title and make a judgement on that alone without knowing the actual course content.

I've got an O level Tech Drawing, does that count/ :)

Only when used in conjunction with your ONC in Bullshtin :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Reserve Officer Entry- Quick Query UCAS Points Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K Qualifications required to become a Warfare Officer, i.e UCAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
L UCAS Points - Officer entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
D Gaining extra UCAS points for officer entry. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
eddietheboyp UCAS points for officer The Fleet 10
S Officer entry....no UCAS points Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 103
MoD_RSS Rich McHugh to take over as the new BPDTS Chief Executive Officer MoD News 0
S Joining Process - Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Finance and Procurement Officer MoD News 0
R What is the average day of a Warfare Officer (submarines) whilst on patrol? Submariners 3
MoD_RSS Puppy lovers should paws for thought to avoid being ‘Petfished’ this Christmas, warns Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Youngest ever officer rewarded for heroism at sea MoD News 0
R Air Traffic Control Officer The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam's Op-Ed MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2
T Waiting Time Warfare Officer Joining the Royal Navy 3
H Engineering Officer question RFA 6
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer briefing on coronavirus (COVID-19): 21 September 2020 MoD News 0
A Intelligence officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
MoD_RSS HMRC appoints Chief Digital and Information Officer MoD News 0
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Cadet Deck officer college choices. RFA 9
J Intelligence Officer Lifestyle and Questions Joining the Royal Navy 3
P Officer academic requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Officer or Rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
Y Logistics Officer RFA 2
S Employment Opportunities and Qualifications for Warfare Intelligence Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S RN Diving Officer The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Richard Irvine appointed as UK’s Deputy Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for Asda Stores Limited MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for TJ Morris Limited MoD News 0
Z Logistics Officer Training RFA 4
CiviPilot Deferring University Entry Waiting for Officer Application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Publications Officer (Apprentice) MoD News 0
I marine engineering officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
I Officer Near Visual Acuity for Category 1 or 2 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Good routes for RNR GE Officer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS Charity Commission appoints Nick Baker as new Chief Operating Officer MoD News 0
C Warfare Intelligence Officer Joining the Royal Navy 2
C Application referred to senior medical officer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
D Information on RFA Cadet Officer (Deck) course RFA 6
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Investigation Support Officer, Southampton MoD News 0
T Systems Engineer Officer Training and Beyond RFA 2
MoD_RSS Magnox announces new Chief Operating Officer MoD News 0
F Possible Rejoin - SE Officer opportunities RFA 1
L Hydrographic and Meterology Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
C Weapons engineer Officer application (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 1