Hello

Hoping someone can shed some light for me, I have read the related posts but would love a bit of confirmation as my situation is a little different.

I have recently applied for Logistics Officer, but am now stressing that I'm not going to meet the criteria.

I am in my final year of study for a Ba(Hons) in an art and design subject and am on course to achieve a 2:1.

I understand that you need 180/72 UCAS points to become an officer and this isn't waived with a degree (which I totally agree with especially considering mine isn't the most academic!)

When taking my A-Levels in 2014, due to personal circumstances I pretty much jacked them in and ended with a B & E at A2 and CEE at AS. I know that from this I can only use the B at A2, being 40 points in new money.

My plan was to self teach another A-Level whilst finishing up my degree, to bring me up to the 72 UCAS points required. I did call the careers office and explain this and all seemed fine.

However, I have now read that the UCAS points must be obtained over a 13 month period, which mine, of course, won't be!

Has anyone ever got around this? Or am I going to have to go for rating or sack the A-Level and take a Btec or something to get all 72 this year?

Would really appreciate some advice!

slim

War Hero
Micky Mouse degree holders make Micky Mouse Occifers.
Yer artyfarty degree would be more use on the lower deck but I cannot think what for.
Why is it tht those with Easy option degrees think that they have the same value as Maths and Science degrees?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Yer artyfarty degree would be more use on the lower deck but I cannot think what for.
Why is it tht those with Easy option degrees think that they have the same value as Maths and Science degrees?
I think the OP is well aware that his/her degree isn't the same value as a maths or science degree. This isn't the forum for an anti-officer or anti-arts degree rant Slim.

Last edited:
I appreciate your opinion but, as WreckerL said, I would never consider my degree to have the same value as a Maths or Science one, simply asking for advice on the technicalities. Have contacted my local AFCO this morning for clarification.

slim

War Hero
I think the OP is well aware that his/her degree isn't the same value as a maths or science degree. This isn't the forum for an anti-officer or anti-arts degree rant Slim.
Noted Wrecker
I am not anti-occifer but over the years have become very angry at the way governemnt have encouraged everyone regardless of educational qualifications to attend uni and get a degreee. These degrees are often not worth the parchment they are printed on but the youngster still ends up with a great deal of debt.
I am an advocate for university education but believe that this concept that everyone should have one only diminishes those who have had to work extremely hard for recognised degrees.
By all means let those that wish take Fun degrees but they should be made aware before signing up for them of their worth

slim

War Hero
I appreciate your opinion but, as WreckerL said, I would never consider my degree to have the same value as a Maths or Science one, simply asking for advice on the technicalities. Have contacted my local AFCO this morning for clarification.
Hello StressedOut
Sorry if I upset you that was not the intention.
By all means apply to be an officer in the RN but please be aware that many others with superior qualifications to yours will be fighting for the few jobs on offer.
It could be that your keeness and other qualities show through and you manage to get selected.
Another option of course is to apply to be an RFA officer they have Logistics as well as the RN though I don't know what their entry qualification are.
Best of luck with whatever you decide

Hello StressedOut
Sorry if I upset you that was not the intention.
By all means apply to be an officer in the RN but please be aware that many others with superior qualifications to yours will be fighting for the few jobs on offer.
It could be that your keeness and other qualities show through and you manage to get selected.
Another option of course is to apply to be an RFA officer they have Logistics as well as the RN though I don't know what their entry qualification are.
Best of luck with whatever you decide
Not at all. Thanks for this though. Yes I'm hoping my other life experiences and determination will be appreciated - I must add that whilst an art and design degree, the majority of it is based on technical drawings as well as procurement and budgeting, so hopefully this will be an advantage! Thanks for your help

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Not at all. Thanks for this though. Yes I'm hoping my other life experiences and determination will be appreciated - I must add that whilst an art and design degree, the majority of it is based on technical drawings as well as procurement and budgeting, so hopefully this will be an advantage! Thanks for your help
That's a problem for a lot of us, we see the course/degree title and make a judgement on that alone without knowing the actual course content.

I've got an O level Tech Drawing, does that count/ :)

slim

War Hero
That's a problem for a lot of us, we see the course/degree title and make a judgement on that alone without knowing the actual course content.

I've got an O level Tech Drawing, does that count/ :)
Only when used in conjunction with your ONC in Bullshtin :)