officer training

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by rnr recruit, Nov 23, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey

im about to take my RT in January and if all my other tests go well I might get the chance to go in Hermes as I have already applied for Hermes, my only problem is that I don't have 5 c GCSE'S I have 3 c's and none in English or maths, could my other qualifications boost me up, I have a BTEC Extended diploma level 3 (Triple merit), a GNVQ in automotive engineering, all told I have around 250 UCAS points.

Another problem I am facing is that I wear glasses and I cant wear contact lenses, is this a problem

2. I fink dat u may b 2 fick 4 occifer
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. hahaha funny guy guessing that spelling is a pun at me, would have expected more from a war hero as it says on your profile,

just trying to get some advice
  4. I did my GCSES almost 7 years ago, should this really count, I was not that far of a c in the first place
  5. You ain't got, you ain't got - don't worry son, the world needs shit shovellers as well as senior managers.

I suggest a great career awaits you as a rating until such time as you can get these Quals. Loads of other jobs need GCSE English and Maths Grade C - Teaching, Nursing etc.

Says it all really - see that lovely blonde nurse over there? I was not that far off shagging her last night...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A-men to that ;)

Unfortunately the only accepted equivalent for GCSE's are iGCSEs or Baccalaureate. NVQs/BTECs are not accepted in lieu of GCSEs unfortunately.

The BTEC L3 triple award, passed at merit or better can be accepted in lieu of the A Levels only.

Glasses are fine as long as your corrected & uncorrected visual acuity (VA) meets at least VA3. (No greater than +/- 6.00 in any diopter).
  7. Nothing to do with your spelling. For some reason the RN requires 5 GCSE O levels at level C or above. Now this is a minimum requirement and I would expect very few unless they were exceptional individuals (such as a member of the Royal family) to be accepted for officer training with such low academic results.
    Those who do occasionally make the grade with these qualifications are probably already serving on the lower deck and have a proven track record which makes them suitable for selection.
    The question that you should be asking yourself is "Why do I wish to be an officer in the Royal Navy, and what do I have to offer"?
    Royal Naval officers are and should be a special type of person, not many youngsters are selected.
    Why not join as a rating in a technical trade and try your luck for a commission after a couple of years, the RN will even pay for you to retake the required GCSEs.
  8. thanks, sorry I might have took your comment the wrong way, at the time it sounded malicious, I knew it was a long shot and iv kind of read up since my first comment earlier and it looks like if you don't have the qualifications go ratings and work up
  9. If your intention is to join as a rating and then try for officer selection I wish you the best of luck. It will be some time between applying to join the RN and your actual joining date. May I suggest that you use this time to study for Maths and English GCSE examinations at your local college of Knowledge?
    This shows the RN that you are keen to progress in your career.
    Once you have joined and completed both part 1 and part 2 training see the schoolie and discuss with him/her your best plan of action to acquire the qualifications needed to become an officer.
    Finally remain keen after training, do not do what I and many others did, slacken off and have a great life pissing up and other distractions.