Officer to Rate...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by djcopio, Oct 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My first post, so be kind... Now, I got given the hoof after 2 phases at Dartmouth (failed ABLE since I couldn't find my own arse with both hands and a compass...).

Since I don't fancy the prospect of farting around in a civvy office for the next 20 years, and having enjoyed the non-bullshit bits of Dartmouth, I'm off to Raleigh in a couple of months.

Assuming I don't come with any airs and graces, and promise upon my honour never to use the phrase "when I was at Dartmouth"; I ask in all seriousness, what are my chances of getting out alive? I'm fully prepared to take some flak, but every experience I had with Jack indicated that if I keep my head down, and don't come the flash harry, I'll be OK.

What do you reckon?
  2. I reckon that you're correct in your assumptions. You won't be able to hide it because your knowledge of the RN and your personal admin will give it away, even if the staff don't, but if you're a good mate to have around and you discreetly pass on the useful stuff you've learned you'll be O.K. There will always be the odd pillock to give you some shit but then there always would be anyway. Good luck and have a good career.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Already, I like the cut of your your jib.

It's doubtful you'll have snags with Raleigh as you've already identified the potential pitfalls.

It's refreshing to see someone that doesn't think they must be an Officer simply because of their qualifications & never a rating.

Odds are, you'll get further opportunities to become an Officer later in your career.

Best of luck - enjoy it.
  4. you dont say what you are joining raleigh as??
  5. Agree with other posters.

You seem to have a mature head on your shoulders, and your post speaks volumes. Well, chapters maybe. The instructors at Raleigh, as indicated by Stix are, in my opinion, thoroughly professional, and short of a little ribbing which I get the impression you can handle, you'll have no snags.

Good luck.
  6. I have to say I do find this rather reassuring. I did note that those who'd done a couple of terms in their URNU, and then liked to let everyone know what great naval warriors they were, tended to shut up shop as soon everyone realised they were, in essence, walting!

I'm applying as CISSM. One of my old chums is still X(SM) and was over at Dolphin block the other day; he asked a few career type questions on my behalf, and as it's such a short manned branch, it looks like I should make leading hand in a few years provided I work hard and stay off the beers. Beyond that, I'm not sure what my feelings will be in the future, if I'll want to go back to BRNC (awful lot of responsibility) or possibly investigate one of the other branches (I have an interest in photography, and working for Navy News looks a good draft!). That said, where they are so short, I dare say the SM chaps will want to get their moneys worth, so it's all academic really.

As for the banter, one of the many, many things I learnt is that you shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke. Coming from Pompey and being able to read without using my finger, I'm fairly well acquainted with inbound humour.

Thought it might be worth poking my head above the parapet first though, just to get a sense of what might be in store...
  7. But do your lips move?

Good luck - brave decision, make use of your experience at Raleigh helping out the younger/less experienced lads, and pulling the team along. That will earn you respect from the staff.
  8. Excuse my ignorance, but how long is 2 phases? Is that 2 terms, or something different?

BTW, best of luck, Raleigh is only for a short time, and everything is different once you join the fleet.
  9. Well, I turned up in January, I was gone by about April, so something short of a dog watch. Only sea time I saw was aboard the mighty Bristol when we came down for BSSC.

As for reading, I can almost do that mouth shut, but I still have to take my shoes and socks off to count above 10.

Worried you called it a brave decision though... you'll be telling me it's character building next!