Officer selection question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jabar123, Mar 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

im thinking of applying as a warfare officer, but i don't have a degree. does that put me any significant disadvantage compared to graduates?

Many thanks
  2. In a short answer, no.

I'm not sure how it works on antedated seniority for degrees and age and such like - can N_S and SuperMario help out? - but this will effect both your initial pay and subsequent promotions.

If it is a question regarding intellectual capacity, I would suggest there is as much variance between graduates as there is between non-grads and grads.

If you want to be First Sea Lord, then you need to join at 18!
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not necessarily, however I'm sure some bored individual somewhere (yawn) will be keen to point out that capitalisation of the letter "i" is an advantage at AIB for the essay writing bit when refering to oneself.

Pay no heed.

Best of luck.
  5. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm not bored, I'm just a grammar Nazi.

Correct utilisation of apostrophes might also be a useful skill to acquire.

"im" should be "I'm". And if we're being very pedantic, you shouldn't be using many apostrophes at all in an essay, apart from when using the possessive, i.e. "The Occifer's hat". "I'm" should be "I am" at all times in all official documents, just like "They're" should be "They are" and so on.

I shall now go and hang my head in shame at my grammar fanaticism.
  6. Jabar

What do you actually have in the way of qualifications?
  7. It's ok, I joined at 18, you can breathe easily now.

Anyway, NS, for my own edification, what are the rules on degrees, age and seniority. Has it gone back to the old system, or is it still on educational qualification only?
  8. Hi Jabar,

As far as I can tell there is only one difference between graduates and non-graduates, which is resolved after professional training, About 2-2.5 years into your career.

Upon completion of basic training, a non-graduate will hold the rank of Midshipman, while a graduate will be a Sub-Lieutenant. Your wage reflects this distinction ( more here: ). After professional training, graduates and non-graduates will be promoted to Lieutenant and the differences end there.

For Warfare and Logistics Officers there is an in-service degree scheme which gives you a Foundation Degree (FdSc) upon completion of professional training at no extra work. You can then go on to complete a full degree in your own time. I can't remember where the information on the degree scheme is; it's somewhere on the Navy Careers website but it's late and I need sleep.

Information on the qualifications you need to join as an Officer can be found here: the-officers-package

By the way, this is all from pre-joining research; I'm not actually in the RN yet and so I could be wrong!
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  9. Ninja_Stoker

With effect from 1 Apr 07, irrespective of age, seniority on entry is awarded dependent upon educational qualifications.

The new mega-BR, that is BR3 (and in the public domain hosted on the RN Website) lists Officer seniority & rank upon joining in relation to qualifications held, Chapter 49, Section 2, Article 4912:

Officer Promotion beyond this in in chapter 66

Although BR3 was updated in December 2010 there are still a few anomalies such as UCE's & E(IS) Officers being mentioned etc., etc.
  10. Thanks for the link, just had a quick look and this caught my eye...

"(b) Officers who hold a 1st or 2nd Class Honours degree – two years’
    seniority in addition to that awarded at Para 4912 g sub para (1) (i.e.
    Lieutenant with 1 year's seniority)."

...what?! Am I reading this properly?
  11. Ninja_Stoker

It probably helps if you read it in context, bearing in mind what was stated above about there not being any E(IS) officers anymore, and the rest applies to TMO's...:

12. Thanks, I thought that seemed a little odd.
  13. Right, so if you want to make the most of your career, either join at 18 (non-grad) or 21 (grad); anything else will probably career foul you at some point.