Officer recruitment

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by robin, May 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm about to graduate from university and I don't have a clear idea of what I want to do; my degree is not career-specific and I've never wanted to go into (yawn) sales or recruitment or any of that bollocks. I've done travelling and I'm tired of being a bum so I've been thinking about the military. I'm interested in the RM or the Paras because they have a reputation for being the best and if I'm going to do the forces I'd like to be all that I can be. I was just wondering if anyone out there could humour me with some advice.

I know I may not sound that enthusiastic but a career in the military has been on my mind since I was 15. I don't want to join the rat race, I'd sooner do something that's actually worthwhile; I'm up to speed with current affairs, pretty intelligent if I may be imodest for a second and I have good people skills. I know that marines are hard bastards; I'm not in great shape but if I decide I want to go for it I'll get in training for a while first. How does this all sound, if you see what I mean?

2. Be careful when you bat around terms like 'the best'.

Tends to get up people's noses. :)

Sounds like you have the motivation, but if you're doing it for the prestige or some kind of status, they'll quickly pick up on that at your various interviews.

I'd suggest thinking quite seriously as to why you want to join HMAF and look at what you can bring to the party.

3. If you're thinking about the Paras or the Royals then I recommend that you get enthuastic pretty quickly. or you won't make it past the first interview.

If you decide to commit - then good luck. But you'll need to commit to it completely as these two groups are tough to get into and even tougher to stay in. If you make it though the basic training then you will have achieved something which many aspire to but don't achieve. The RM recruiting slogan of 99.99% need not apply is very appropriate - but if you get through, you will be a very different person.

I sincerely doubt that you will find anything else that is nearly so rewarding and even if you don't stay in more that a few years - you will be a better person for the experience.

4. Robin, i worked in RM officer recruitment for a year or so a couple of years back. THe first step is to get on the web site or get in touch with your local AFCO and register your interest. You will then get an 'interview' with either an RN or RM officer who will advise you on your best course of action for the future. THis initial interview is not a selection filter but a process for giving advice. That said if you are a knobber they will just loose your application form.
    Next intake you will be able to join for the RM starts in September 07. You have missed the deadline for this years intake. It is a two stage interview process. Both stages are two day residential courses. THe first is a physical filter, the second more cerebral. The paperwork you need to pass both is available through the process i outlined above. For every successful RM officer applicant we get about 100 enquirers like yourself. Therefore in recruitment terms no one really cares about RM officers - the ones who are going to make it just sort themselves out.

In short - it is a simple process that requires you to drive it along. Get on the pull up bar, get running, and read a quality news review (The week/The economist) and a decent broadsheet newspaper every day.

5. My post is a bit off the current topic but this seems like the right thread to be on. Since my 2nd year at university I'd had a strong desire to join either The Army or The Royal Marines and was making all the appropriate inquiries. My parent's weren't too keen and really wanted me to serve with The Royal Navy, probably due to the fact that both my Grandfathers had done so (family history and tradition etc). For some reason, that I now realise was a complete lack of backbone to do what I wanted, I went through the process and ended up starting at BRNC Dartmouth in January 2005. It's not that I had a bad time there, far from it in fact, but each day that passed convinced me that I'd made the wrong decision. To cut a six month long story short I left in July. I have a pretty good job but have decided that I want to go for a commission in The Royal Marines or possibly The Army, as I should have done a few years ago.

I am 24 and have recently joined the TA as a soldier (I'm going on a seven week course with them in July). I really want to go for a commission in The Royal Marines - I can't think of any job I'd want more and I don't want to make any more regretful decisions. What I’d like to know is if anyone here thinks I’ve got a good chance of getting in, or do you think I'll be told to Foxtrot Oscar for not doing it before and for quitting The Navy? I've been told that The Army might be a better, if not preferred, option because the AIB could have some serious issues with me, having left the service before. My other concern is my age - The earliest I could apply would be the end of August and it's not exactly a quick step to Lympstone.

6. I am not up to date with the mobs attitude to people in your circumstances. I suspect a lot depends on quite how you exited BRNC and what you told them. If your story is consistant then possibly they may be willing to take a second chance.

You must remeber that military training is not cheap and they will always be reluctant to throw good money after bad and if they have a choice between you and some one else who hasn't given up before then I suspect you can work out how the axe will fall.

Whatever I susp[ect you have little time left and really need to talk to the two services and work out which way to jump, because this will certainly be your last shot at it.

Good luck

Peter

7. Thanks for the advice. I left BRNC on good terms. I'd never failed anything and on their records it just says 'voluntary withdrawal from training'. I certainly will speak to both services although I think I'd have more chance of becoming an Army officer.
    The other route I was considering, since I would rather serve with The Royal Marines, was to try joining as a RM Commando and not as an officer. Do you know what the chances are, if you show potential, of going for a commission after serving for a few years? If this is a realistic possibility then I think the AIB would be more likely to accept me since I would have shown them I'm not about to jump ship (no pun intended).