Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Officer Recruitment rejected because of GCSEs?

kais58

Midshipman
So I'm in the process of joining, and just had a call to say that because they're no longer doing the RT because of the current epidemic, they're using GCSE results instead, as such, my ~12 GCSEs A-C I did 12 years ago aren't enough on their 'matrix' and that I am not eligibible to proceed. (I have over 200 UCAS points and a Hons degree since)

Am I just stuffed then until if/when they bring back the RT?

Last edited:

kais58

Midshipman
It was for Pilot, I can see now that it has actually been closed.

Edit: and to clarify, I was declined for any officer position. Recruiter alluded to it being because I only got C in my English GCSE which meant on their matrix I assume my literacy wasn't up to standard.

Last edited:

kais58

Midshipman
Why don't you resit your GCSEs?
It'll cost you but you can do it through distance learning.
I've looked into it and will do once schools open again if the Navy don't start doing the RT again, though I really want to know what the actual requirements are so I know if I need to do more than just English again and what grade I need (If anyone has that from the trial last year or now that would be great)

lb3817

Midshipman
So I'm in the process of joining, and just had a call to say that because they're no longer doing the RT because of the current epidemic, they're using GCSE results instead, as such, my ~12 GCSEs A-C I did 12 years ago aren't enough on their 'matrix' and that I am not eligibible to proceed. (I have over 200 UCAS points and a Hons degree since)

What did you get in English, Maths and Science out of curiosity? Trying to see how I will fair... although I would presume the pilot role has higher qualifications than Warfare (what i'm looking at)

kais58

Midshipman
What did you get in English, Maths and Science out of curiosity? Trying to see how I will fair... although I would presume the pilot role has higher qualifications than Warfare (what i'm looking at)
My core GCSEs were:
Maths A
Physics A
Chemistry A
Biology B
English C
English Lit C

Planning to redo my English GCSE in sep assuming colleges open again, best of luck with your app and I think Warfare Officer has the same requirements as pilot at the RT level as here: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/medi...ce-library/br-3-vol-1/chap7_para_0759_v10.pdf
Edit: that document is definitely old, still has the old max ages

lb3817

Midshipman
My core GCSEs were:
Maths A
Physics A
Chemistry A
Biology B
English C
English Lit C

Planning to redo my English GCSE in sep assuming colleges open again, best of luck with your app and I think Warfare Officer has the same requirements as pilot at the RT level as here: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/medi...ce-library/br-3-vol-1/chap7_para_0759_v10.pdf
And they rejected you? Jeez

Even though mine are all passes and are mediocre, I might have to wait until the RT is back. Sounds like they're being harsh with the GCSE screening

kais58

Midshipman
I can only assume it’s because of the current situation, that they’re only carrying on the pipeline for people they’re certain can pass the stages. CBAT, AIB and in person medicals are all postponed anyway afaik and doesn’t look like BRNC is happening either so not really losing out, would be delayed anyway.

lb3817

Midshipman
I can only assume it’s because of the current situation, that they’re only carrying on the pipeline for people they’re certain can pass the stages. CBAT, AIB and in person medicals are all postponed anyway afaik and doesn’t look like BRNC is happening either so not really losing out, would be delayed anyway.
Ah fair enough. Maybe waiting for RT isn't as annoying as I thought.

kais58

Midshipman
Ah fair enough. Maybe waiting for RT isn't as annoying as I thought.
I would like to know what they were using instead of NSRT last year when they trialled not running them, if it was the same or not, but not been able to find any info on that as my recruiter didn’t know if they would bring them back or not, hence me going for my GCSE again just to hedge my bets on them actually doing NSRT again for officers.

lb3817

Midshipman
I would like to know what they were using instead of NSRT last year when they trialled not running them, if it was the same or not, but not been able to find any info on that as my recruiter didn’t know if they would bring them back or not, hence me going for my GCSE again just to hedge my bets on them actually doing NSRT again for officers.
Didn't know about that trial? Maybe they were finding NSRT ineffective for assessment?

Zoidberg

War Hero
The link that Kais posted above shows the required Recruit Test Scores for each branch. In the up to date version of the document it was pulled from, the matrix now just has a 0 instead of a score for all officer jobs.

What it means for recruitment, I couldn't say but if I were to hazard a guess it's that the NSRT has been axed for officer roles.

lb3817

Midshipman
The link that Kais posted above shows the required Recruit Test Scores for each branch. In the up to date version of the document it was pulled from, the matrix now just has a 0 instead of a score for all officer jobs.
Ah got you. Does this mean GCSE results are being taken on a person by person basis, without a standard "matrix" mark?

Zoidberg

War Hero
Ah got you. Does this mean GCSE results are being taken on a person by person basis, without a standard "matrix" mark?

Well the matrix also has minimum requirements for GCSEs, but I haven't got a clue what the AFCO are doing to weed people out.

Jackthedusty

Midshipman

Hi Kais, do you have an application running at the moment? I believe the criteria has changed since your original post.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Just a bit of clarification with regards system engineer cadet officer recruitment RFA 1
C Officer Recruitment Process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
soleil RN Recruitment Advert - Joining As An Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
E Deck officer recruitment RFA 8
G Royal Marine Officer Recruitment The Corps 3
I Officer Recruitment Query - Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
K Warfare Officer Recruitment and The Boat Shortage Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
firefawkes Officer Recruitment - new direct entry policy Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 53
R Officer recruitment The Corps 6
MoD_RSS IWD spotlight on Chief Information Security Officer, Kirsty Jordan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Andrew Garton to take over as BPDTS Chief Financial Officer (CFO) MoD News 0
E 2021 joining timeline - Engineering officer cadet RFA 1
G Change from Officer to Rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Dstl exchange officer inducted into United States Space Force MoD News 0
M Officer requirements UPO/Careers Office 6
D WARFARE OFFICER TRAINING + CAREER PIPELINE (up to date, 2021) Joining the Royal Navy 10
L The Return of the Warrant Officer Two The Fleet 27
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Jonathan Van-Tam opinion piece in The Sunday Telegraph MoD News 0
M Questions regarding the Royal Navy Medical Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Death of serving CNC police officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tom Cargill appointed as new Wilton Park Chief Executive Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mal Singh is to step down as BPDTS Ltd’s Chief Finance Officer MoD News 0
T Diving Officer Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Inspection Report Published: An inspection of the Home Office Presenting Officer function MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty on national alert levels MoD News 0
N Logistic officer UPO/Careers Office 8
K Officer leaving: how much notice? Finance & Pensions 10
R Logistics officer submariner questions Joining the Royal Navy 1
B Met officer questions UPO/Careers Office 16
LandScrubber Deck Officer courses? RFA 14
MoD_RSS Remarks delivered by H.E. Governor Nigel Dakin CMG, and Chief Medical Officer, Dr Nadia Astwood, at the national press conference on COVID vaccination MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from Chief Medical Officer, Professor Chris Whitty about new strain of Covid-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Medical Officer’s annual report outlines health challenges in England MoD News 0
N Chief Petty Officer Eric Cousins. Nearest & Dearest 2
C Warfare Officer Surface to Sub Joining the Royal Navy 2
R Engineering officer or engineering advanced apprenticeship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
L Engineering officer docked duties Submariners 4
jjake101 How do you choose between officer and rating roles? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Former prison officer jailed for longer MoD News 0
TechnicPR RN Police. Rating to officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
MoD_RSS Rich McHugh to take over as the new BPDTS Chief Executive Officer MoD News 0
S Joining Process - Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Finance and Procurement Officer MoD News 0
R What is the average day of a Warfare Officer (submarines) whilst on patrol? Submariners 6
MoD_RSS Puppy lovers should paws for thought to avoid being ‘Petfished’ this Christmas, warns Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Youngest ever officer rewarded for heroism at sea MoD News 0
R Air Traffic Control Officer The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam's Op-Ed MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2