Officer Recruitment rejected because of GCSEs?

kais58

Midshipman
So I'm in the process of joining, and just had a call to say that because they're no longer doing the RT because of the current epidemic, they're using GCSE results instead, as such, my ~12 GCSEs A-C I did 12 years ago aren't enough on their 'matrix' and that I am not eligibible to proceed. (I have over 200 UCAS points and a Hons degree since)

Am I just stuffed then until if/when they bring back the RT?

Last edited:

kais58

Midshipman
It was for Pilot, I can see now that it has actually been closed.

Edit: and to clarify, I was declined for any officer position. Recruiter alluded to it being because I only got C in my English GCSE which meant on their matrix I assume my literacy wasn't up to standard.

Last edited:

kais58

Midshipman
Why don't you resit your GCSEs?
It'll cost you but you can do it through distance learning.
I've looked into it and will do once schools open again if the Navy don't start doing the RT again, though I really want to know what the actual requirements are so I know if I need to do more than just English again and what grade I need (If anyone has that from the trial last year or now that would be great)

lb3817

Midshipman
So I'm in the process of joining, and just had a call to say that because they're no longer doing the RT because of the current epidemic, they're using GCSE results instead, as such, my ~12 GCSEs A-C I did 12 years ago aren't enough on their 'matrix' and that I am not eligibible to proceed. (I have over 200 UCAS points and a Hons degree since)

What did you get in English, Maths and Science out of curiosity? Trying to see how I will fair... although I would presume the pilot role has higher qualifications than Warfare (what i'm looking at)

kais58

Midshipman
What did you get in English, Maths and Science out of curiosity? Trying to see how I will fair... although I would presume the pilot role has higher qualifications than Warfare (what i'm looking at)
My core GCSEs were:
Maths A
Physics A
Chemistry A
Biology B
English C
English Lit C

Planning to redo my English GCSE in sep assuming colleges open again, best of luck with your app and I think Warfare Officer has the same requirements as pilot at the RT level as here: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/medi...ce-library/br-3-vol-1/chap7_para_0759_v10.pdf
Edit: that document is definitely old, still has the old max ages

lb3817

Midshipman
My core GCSEs were:
Maths A
Physics A
Chemistry A
Biology B
English C
English Lit C

Planning to redo my English GCSE in sep assuming colleges open again, best of luck with your app and I think Warfare Officer has the same requirements as pilot at the RT level as here: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/medi...ce-library/br-3-vol-1/chap7_para_0759_v10.pdf
And they rejected you? Jeez

Even though mine are all passes and are mediocre, I might have to wait until the RT is back. Sounds like they're being harsh with the GCSE screening

kais58

Midshipman
I can only assume it’s because of the current situation, that they’re only carrying on the pipeline for people they’re certain can pass the stages. CBAT, AIB and in person medicals are all postponed anyway afaik and doesn’t look like BRNC is happening either so not really losing out, would be delayed anyway.

lb3817

Midshipman
I can only assume it’s because of the current situation, that they’re only carrying on the pipeline for people they’re certain can pass the stages. CBAT, AIB and in person medicals are all postponed anyway afaik and doesn’t look like BRNC is happening either so not really losing out, would be delayed anyway.
Ah fair enough. Maybe waiting for RT isn't as annoying as I thought.

kais58

Midshipman
Ah fair enough. Maybe waiting for RT isn't as annoying as I thought.
I would like to know what they were using instead of NSRT last year when they trialled not running them, if it was the same or not, but not been able to find any info on that as my recruiter didn’t know if they would bring them back or not, hence me going for my GCSE again just to hedge my bets on them actually doing NSRT again for officers.

lb3817

Midshipman
I would like to know what they were using instead of NSRT last year when they trialled not running them, if it was the same or not, but not been able to find any info on that as my recruiter didn’t know if they would bring them back or not, hence me going for my GCSE again just to hedge my bets on them actually doing NSRT again for officers.
Didn't know about that trial? Maybe they were finding NSRT ineffective for assessment?

Zoidberg

War Hero
The link that Kais posted above shows the required Recruit Test Scores for each branch. In the up to date version of the document it was pulled from, the matrix now just has a 0 instead of a score for all officer jobs.

What it means for recruitment, I couldn't say but if I were to hazard a guess it's that the NSRT has been axed for officer roles.

lb3817

Midshipman
The link that Kais posted above shows the required Recruit Test Scores for each branch. In the up to date version of the document it was pulled from, the matrix now just has a 0 instead of a score for all officer jobs.
Ah got you. Does this mean GCSE results are being taken on a person by person basis, without a standard "matrix" mark?

Zoidberg

War Hero
Ah got you. Does this mean GCSE results are being taken on a person by person basis, without a standard "matrix" mark?
Well the matrix also has minimum requirements for GCSEs, but I haven't got a clue what the AFCO are doing to weed people out.

Hi Kais, do you have an application running at the moment? I believe the criteria has changed since your original post.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Just a bit of clarification with regards system engineer cadet officer recruitment RFA 1
C Officer Recruitment Process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
soleil RN Recruitment Advert - Joining As An Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
E Deck officer recruitment RFA 8
G Royal Marine Officer Recruitment The Corps 3
I Officer Recruitment Query - Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
K Warfare Officer Recruitment and The Boat Shortage Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
firefawkes Officer Recruitment - new direct entry policy Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 53
R Officer recruitment The Corps 6
P Officer academic requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
T Officer or Rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
Y Logistics Officer RFA 2
S Employment Opportunities and Qualifications for Warfare Intelligence Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
S RN Diving Officer The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Richard Irvine appointed as UK’s Deputy Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for Asda Stores Limited MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for TJ Morris Limited MoD News 0
Z Logistics Officer Training RFA 4
CiviPilot Deferring University Entry Waiting for Officer Application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Publications Officer (Apprentice) MoD News 0
I marine engineering officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
I Officer Near Visual Acuity for Category 1 or 2 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Good routes for RNR GE Officer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS Charity Commission appoints Nick Baker as new Chief Operating Officer MoD News 0
C Warfare Intelligence Officer Joining the Royal Navy 2
C Application referred to senior medical officer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
D Information on RFA Cadet Officer (Deck) course RFA 6
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Investigation Support Officer, Southampton MoD News 0
T Systems Engineer Officer Training and Beyond RFA 2
MoD_RSS Magnox announces new Chief Operating Officer MoD News 0
F Possible Rejoin - SE Officer opportunities RFA 1
L Hydrographic and Meterology Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
C Weapons engineer Officer application (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 1
S Air Engineering Officer or Hydrographer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 47
L Joining as Officer but undecided, need helping choosing Joining the Royal Navy 25
MoD_RSS New Permanent Secretary at the Cabinet Office and Chief Operating Officer for the Civil Service MoD News 0
H Army JNCO to Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
P Join as a Rating or Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
R Officer entry, bad A levels but have a foundation degree Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
SeaBiscuit RFA Officer Cadet Interview and AIB RFA 1
T Officer Inreview Questions Pre-AIB Joining the Royal Navy 2
N Intelligence Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
K Qualifications required to become a Warfare Officer, i.e UCAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Chief Medical Officer for England announces four further coronavirus cases MoD News 0
S Medical reviewed by senior medical officer Joining the Royal Navy 2
D Warfare Officer AIB Feb 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
MoD_RSS British Officer takes command of Gulf maritime security mission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Officer awarded first Chief Firearms Instructor’s coin MoD News 0
B RN Officer RT Tests Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6