Officer Recruitment - new direct entry policy

firefawkes said:
navalgazer said:
Firefawkes
Hope it's not too late, but the Direct Entry System details are out, and the system is essentially AFCO managed.
Entrants will have nothing to do with the RNR prior to AIB. After a pass at AIB they are Acting Sub Lt and go straight to the Wardroom.

Thanks for that Navalgazer. :)

I’m pleased to see that it is consistent with what I’ve been told so far by the AFCO. However, these few details appear to be the sum total of the information currently available on Direct Entry within the RNR! Any other queries I have posed to the AFCO have been met with ‘It’s a new scheme - we don’t know much about it’, and “You’ll need to ask at your unitâ€. This would be fine if my unit had all the details, but they don’t! I know that DEO was only introduced at the start of August, but what is the point of launching a new scheme before the AFCOs and RTUs have been given any details about it and why, 3 months after the launch, is there still a lack of information? :roll:

I now have my dates for AIB, so we’ll see what happens after that!

Ah Firefawkes, it was ever thus. Someone in the good ideas club obvious put the plan out before doing the staffwork.

Good luck on your AIB, get the beers in when you pass.

M(R)

Captain_Jacks

Lantern Swinger
firefawkes said:
navalgazer said:
Firefawkes
Hope it's not too late, but the Direct Entry System details are out, and the system is essentially AFCO managed.
Entrants will have nothing to do with the RNR prior to AIB. After a pass at AIB they are Acting Sub Lt and go straight to the Wardroom.

Thanks for that Navalgazer. :)

I’m pleased to see that it is consistent with what I’ve been told so far by the AFCO. However, these few details appear to be the sum total of the information currently available on Direct Entry within the RNR! Any other queries I have posed to the AFCO have been met with ‘It’s a new scheme - we don’t know much about it’, and “You’ll need to ask at your unitâ€. This would be fine if my unit had all the details, but they don’t! I know that DEO was only introduced at the start of August, but what is the point of launching a new scheme before the AFCOs and RTUs have been given any details about it and why, 3 months after the launch, is there still a lack of information? :roll:

The DE Officer has been launhed and is about encouraging people to join the RNR who want to be officers. :twisted:

The main point is that these potential people are not part of the RNR but outside until they complete and pass and AIB. They will be given encouragement and help. It is to try and stop the "snotty nose officer type" lording over all other ratings while they are part of the CC/CW team. It then will allow AB's to get experience in leading people for the LS rate.

If people join the RNR it is because they want to give a committment to the navy, regardless of rank or rate. It is then up to the divisional system to encourage them to reach their potential either SR or Officer. :?

From a personal point of view, 10 years in lower decks was a good grounding before moveing to the dark side. :eek:

The RNR is what you want to make it and you should always strive for the rank or rate you want or should be at!! All these people who should be in senior posts, but are happy being an AB, are wasting their talent and are not fulfiling their potential or giving their ALL to the Navy.

Go for your AIB, enjoy and pass well. Come and join the dark side and have fun in the wardroom :D

I now have my dates for AIB, so we’ll see what happens after that!

who_blue

Badgeman
Hey,

Just a quick question for those of you in the know... if I passed an AIB about three years ago and am considering a transfer from green to dark blue would I be eligble to go through this program without having to resit AIB?

All help appreciated,

W_B

Edit: - to correct typing error

GCYZ

Lantern Swinger
Dangermouse said:
Whether they join via NE or go direct to the Wardroom, it must be remembered that its is incumbent upon the rest of the Officers to ensure that S/Lts are properly trained and that includes leadership and the right attitude to the value and experience of the SRs and JRs they serve with.

And personally I have absolutely no problem with a SR or Killick putting a JO in their place, IF they need to.

Its not what you wear on your sleeve or shoulder, its how you use it. Teamwork is vital in just about everything we do and every member of the team is vital too. There is no place for arrogance, only professionalism.

Spot on DM. Too often ASLT's are allowed to think they have made it on passing AIB.

Best bit of advice I heard given to a new Acting subbie was to compare daily rates of pay as a real indicator as to where their position in life was.

IMHO:
If we are to have direct entry officers, gold stripes should only be handed out after successfully passing a NE course at BRNC. i.e. Complete NE in unit as an OC, pass AIB, go to BRNC as an OC. if successful, pass out at Saturday divisions as an ASLT. Return to unit, start task book. If they fail-recommended to remain as a JR or binned.

At the same time Upper Yardies should only be able to go CW at minimum AB1 level, thus allowing JR's to focus on initial training and still being deployable if they fail AIB.

hammockhead

Lantern Swinger
who_blue said:
Just a quick question for those of you in the know... if I passed an AIB about three years ago and am considering a transfer from green to dark blue would I be eligble to go through this program without having to resit AIB?

If you are already commissioned you don't need to sit AIB. If not you will have to resit.

who_blue

Badgeman
hammockhead said:
who_blue said:

If you are already commissioned you don't need to sit AIB. If not you will have to resit.

Oh dear, has it changed much since 2002/3?

Afraid it has. Can't remember the exact changes but I do know that the fitness test is in there somewhere.

Someone else who has done it recently can provide a better outline otherwise I will have a word with a couple of the lads at my unit who have recently sat it.

LTP

Uncle_Albert

War Hero
Regarding the transfer of civilian management skills to the wardroom, I've sent over thirty people to AIB in the past four years, and one of the biggest lessons I learnt is that there was no correlation between civilian management ability and AIB pass rate.

Most of the time all we have on here is anecdotal evidence, which is not without worth, but I've got enough hard numerical scores and AIB reports to point to a definite lack of correlation. In the tests of leadership ability in the AIB, I've had company directors bomb out completely and kids from school keep it together like Jack Bauer on fire, and the whole range inbetween.

PussersMuddle

Midshipman
Morning Shippers & Shackles,

I'm shiney brand new to Rum Ration, greetings to one and all.

I'm kinda in the same boat as firefawkes here. I've been out the mob for more years than I care to think about, served as a Pinkie on the Lowestoft and the Yarmouth (Crazy Y), and for the last few years been toying with the idea of joining the RNR. As usual real life tends to get in the way of all the best laid plans, what with new job, marriage, moving house, I never really got round to following it through. Things have settled down now and the time feels right to look into it again. I've turned 40 this year and I know if I don't do it now I probably never will. I worry that my 'maturing years' might favour against me.

The advice I've seen so far, in this thread and others, has proved to be useful and I appreciate all your frank and honest input. Especially on the mess-deck/wardroom discussions.

Hope to dit with more of you soonest.

Captain_Jacks

Lantern Swinger
Greetings Pussers Muddle

You should join the RNR because you want to not because you think you have something to prove (too many in wardroom for that).

Why do you want to ge back to navy Life?

The RNR now is completely different since i joined after leaving the MOB. 20 years combined service and they still dont realise that i am still wandering around with that same piece of paper :wink:

If you want a bit of fun with the navy again for a few years then great come back and i am sure that you will enjoy yourself, just dont come back thinking that you will get your PO/CPO/commission straight away and then you may get disappointed

The Navy will use you and work you hard, but you will have fun. remember FTRS is only available if the navy need You and your skill set and you need to get yourself on the trained strenght!

How do you feel about going through Raleigh again!! :?: 40 years old is not too old depending on your mental fitness (you are only as old as the woman you feel :D ) If you find that tough then BRNC is even harder, fun but harder.

If you want it go for it! Come and join us in the RNR, and if you are really unlucky you can even come across to the dark side!! :twisted:

The end of the RNR recruitment team 8)

PussersMuddle

Midshipman
Thanks for the response C_J.

I guess the bottom line is I miss it. I miss the banter, the camaraderie, the sense of humor, the 'doing stuff'. I almost, ALMOST, signed up again just before I finished uni about 10 years ago. But my current employer (who actually isn't 1 million miles away from being like one of the services anyway, or at least the MOD) offered me a job and I accepted.

I'm not sure I've got anything to prove, apologies if I gave that impression, but I'm certainly not as fit as I once was. But I won't know unless I try right?.

buster

Banned
PussersMuddle said:
Morning Shippers & Shackles,

I'm shiney brand new to Rum Ration, greetings to one and all.

I'm kinda in the same boat as firefawkes here. I've been out the mob for more years than I care to think about, served as a Pinkie on the Lowestoft and the Yarmouth (Crazy Y), and for the last few years been toying with the idea of joining the RNR. As usual real life tends to get in the way of all the best laid plans, what with new job, marriage, moving house, I never really got round to following it through. Things have settled down now and the time feels right to look into it again. I've turned 40 this year and I know if I don't do it now I probably never will. I worry that my 'maturing years' might favour against me.

The advice I've seen so far, in this thread and others, has proved to be useful and I appreciate all your frank and honest input. Especially on the mess-deck/wardroom discussions.

Hope to dit with more of you soonest.
go for it.
i rejoined at 39 and have loved it. your maturing years and previous service will be an asset, not a hinderance. only gripe i had was starting again as a baby, cos i had been outside more than 5, hey ho. :p

Latest Threads