Officer Qualifications

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by cheezestring, May 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently serving in the RNR, and I would like to join the Royal Navy as an officer. I have the required GCSE’s, but I am unsure on the further education side of things. I’m finishing my Btec National Certificate in Business in June, and should come out with 200 UCAS points. I have spoken to AFCO and they have advised me that even though Btec GNVQ’s are not accepted, Btec Nationals maybe ok. However they will need to send of my certificates to AIB to make sure. As I won’t have these until August, can anyone advise me if they know if Btec National Certificates are ok or not. Alternatively, I’ve heard that there may be an email address for the AIB where I could ask them directly. Does anyone know where I could find this?

Thanks for your help.
  2. CS
    What do you want to join as? Different branches have different entry requirements (you need a degree to be an engineer for example). You require 180 UCAS points. If the summary of modules on the BTEC course shows sufficient diversity (eg an ICT BTEC shows both software engineering and maths/statistics) then it may be acceptable. This can only be determined by AIB and ACLOs must refer to the AIB before any decision can be given to the candidate.
    Basically, it's down to your AFCO/ACLO to get the paperwork to AIB.
    Hope this helps
  3. I want to join as a pilot/observer. I have an Engineering GNVQ with advanced maths as well, but AFCO have advised me that the GNVQ isn't an acceptable qualification. But hopefully by sending my Btec Business and the GNVQ Engineering, it will show that I have gained the necessary UCAS points in an acceptable qualification as well as show my diversity. I guess the best thing to do is wait until I get my Business certificate and send them all off and see what AIB say.
  4. i was told BTEC National certs are considered acceptable for UCAS points when i asked.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Doubtless you were.

Colleges are notorious for claiming Public & Uniform Service BTEC (for example) as being worth "XXX" A Levels or UCAS points. Indeed they may well be, but not always by employers.

The people to ask are your AFCO's not your colleges because colleges and universities generate income by getting people on courses, whereas an AFCO actually costs money & therefore offers correct careers advice because we get sued if we don't.

Universities do the same as colleges, offering invented degrees to follow popular trends such as the current ones offered in "Forensic Science" which no more qualify the graduate to be a forensic scientist than a GCSE in dual science. The clue is in the fact it's a 3 year BA, not a medical degree.

As stated previously, all BTEC awards need to be faxed to AIB to verify the academic content counts as two non-overlapping subjects. Most don't & do not take your colleges word for it either.

The bottom line is check the validity of the course with your AFCO before you embark on it & potentially waste a couple of years that would have been better spent studying A levels.

Good luck.
  6. I don't know how possible or feasbile it may be, but would it be possible to get an A-Level (different from your BTEC) and combine them to get the points needed and so they're not overlapping.
    I don't know how long a local college A-Level course may take, or if there is an 'Open College' in the same vein as Open University. Could be worth considering/researching if you don't get a good answer from AIB.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Spot on, as long as you get an A or B in AS level to add to your all-up total, then you may find yourself eligible if you do it within a set timescale. (Your ACLO can advise the complexities involved).
  8. I'm thinking that if my qualifications aren't acceptable, then I might join as a rating and get some hands on training and experience, and try and get a commission from within the service, rather than spend another 2 years at college. Any idea on time scale for going rating to officer?
  9. Ninja_Stoker

You can generally apply for Officer if eligible, at any stage after completing phase two training onwards.
  10. Sorry ninja,

I was told my someone that RN accepts them, but it was a ICT BTEC, which is probably why.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Quite possibly.

No-one disputes the UCAS points, it's the fact that the academic content must be verified acceptable by the AIB, not your college tutor. it may well be that your BTEC is accepted, but make sure you ask your potential employer, not the person getting paid to teach you the subject.

The issue is confirm it at the AFCO, not your college.
  12. Hi Uncle Ninja

the previous comment about going in as a rating and then applying from within, do you not still need the required qualifications to go along the UY route once in?
  13. If you are going the UY route its 5 GCSE's if you go the SUY route its 4 GCSE's