Officer Promotion Timescales

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Marshmallow, Mar 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Just a question out of curiosity: How long does the average officer stay at each rank? ie: At what age can you reach certain ranks?

I just spent about an hour looking through all of the ships and their Captains/Commanders and looking at their ages. It seemed to be that most Commanders were in their 40's, however there were exceptions as some Commanders were really young, around late 30's I think. Is this just an anomaly? Or if you do really well can you expect to gain the higher ranks before you're 50/40?

Any replies would be appreciated!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Think it depends on how much faeces one is willing to display on ones nasal cavity.
  3. Or be good at your job!
  4. 2 years as a Middie, 3 as a subbie, between 4 - 8 years as a Lt, and then after that it all gets a bit interesting. The average age for promotion to Capt RN is 43ish.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Stop it!!!!!

It may set a precedent!! :pottytrain5:
  6. Cheers Alfred, did you mean Captain, as in the rank Captain or as in Captain of a ship? (ie: Commander at 43 yrs old)
  7. Captain is a rank, captain of a ship is a title although the captain of a ship can be a Captain..simples.
  8. Yeah that's what I meant, sorry I didn't word it well... What I meant was, was Alfred stating that the average age of promotion to a Captain is 43 or the average age of Captain of a ship?
  9. You were asking about ranks. Captain is a rank as already stated. That was the answer.
  10. Marshmallow

Just as an aside, as you are interested in age.

A couple of years ago, the CO of HMS Example was a 29 year old.
  11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Of course during WW2 there were Boat Skippers as Lts in their mid 20's
  12. Nice, that's something to aim for!
  13. Did you google HMS Example? Just saying. ^~
  14. Yeah I already know what it is, I know it's a URNU ship but at 29 yrs old you wouldn't think you were doing 'badly' on the promotion front if you were commanding that ship.
  15. Ah, now your an expert on promotion.....:toothy10: Yes I'm sure you would be doing very well to get command of any ship.
  16. I know of an URNU CO-desig who is about 25/26.
  17. Nelson was three when he got promoted to Admiral. FACT!
  18. You mean 3 limbs of course.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. So it is possible to be a Captain by 25/26 but not make Captain, or is it, do you have a Captain of a boat?
  20. Erm....

Captain Royal Navy = rank.
    'The Captain' = Commanding Officer of a ship, can be of any rank from Lt RN to Capt RN.

It would be impossible (under current rules) to be a Capt RN at 26.