Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Officer progression post BRNC

wannabejack

Lantern Swinger
I was just going off what was on my joining letter (i've been in for less than a year). The way it's worded implies that it's the case for all UYs. Didn't realise it wasn't. I stand corrected!

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ive just looked this up for reasons I wont bore anyone with Wave_dodger lol.

Is this not right wannabejack?

on entry..

less than a years service...Midshipman

1-2 years service ............Midshipman with 1 years seniority

2-3 years service.............Sub Lieutenant

3 years +........................Sub Lieutenant with 1 years seniority

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-an...ents/naval publications/br 3/br3book/ch66.pdf

Thanks Fella, DII has been a bit slow here we couldn't get BR3 to load (must be past its bed time).

I did wonder - it would have been a brave step to make all UY instant Mids.

cjg375

Lantern Swinger
Ive just looked this up for reasons I wont bore anyone with Wave_dodger lol.

Is this not right wannabejack?

on entry..

less than a years service...Midshipman

1-2 years service ............Midshipman with 1 years seniority

2-3 years service.............Sub Lieutenant

3 years +........................Sub Lieutenant with 1 years seniority

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-an...ents/naval publications/br 3/br3book/ch66.pdf

That table only applies to pre-Sept 13. After Sept 13 it's the same as direct entry for UY.

6634. Promotion to Lieutenant RN/Captain RM pre and post 1 Sep 13 - Upper Yardman/ Corps Commission candidates
a. Post 1 Sep 13. With the exception of the September 2013 UY/CC entry, for whom pre-Sep 13 promotion rules will continue to apply (see Para 6634 sub para b), ratings and other ranks promoted via the UY and CC schemes respectively will be awarded the same rank and seniority on entry as their Direct Entry officer counterparts (set out at Para 6632 sub para a and Para 6633 sub para a).
b. Pre 1 Sep 13. UY/CC officers were awarded up to three years' antedated seniority on entry based on their time served as a rating or other rank that reckoned for engagement purposes (see Table 66-4). No additional award was made for educational qualifications held.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

DruAde

Lantern Swinger
Lol why dont they make it easy to actually find out ?? Why leave pre sept 2013 in the doc if its not right then?

cjg375

Lantern Swinger
Lol why dont they make it easy to actually find out ?? Why leave pre sept 2013 in the doc if its not right then?

Cos there are still people in the pipeline that are affected by the old rules. They will have worked out when no one is affected anymore and it'll be removed in the next update after. Some changes to RN rules take up to 8 years to work through.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thought I was right - if I wasn't a lot of paperwork I'm currently reading would have been wrong. Had me worried for a while - it's not unknown for the Navy to slip in additional changes and forget to broadcast it internally.

cjg375

Lantern Swinger
Wannabe You were right. From 1 Sep 13, all officer entrants including UY go by these rules:

6632. Promotion up to Lieutenant RN pre and post 1 Sep 13 - Direct Entry Warfare, Engineering, Logistics and Medical Services Officers)
a. From 1 Sep 13. Regardless of an individual's age or educational qualifications held on entry, all Direct Entry Warfare, Engineer and Logistics officers will join BRNC Dartmouth as a Midshipman. On completion of 12 months' service from their date of entry, officers who have successfully completed Initial Naval Training (Officers) (INT(O)) will be promoted to Sub Lieutenant. Individuals who fail to complete INT(O) within a year of joining the RN will not be promoted at this point and, instead, will become eligible for confirmation as a Sub Lieutenant once the training has been completed successfully (see Para 6641 for the rules relating to backdated awards of pay and seniority). Thereafter, officers will be eligible for promotion to the rank of Lieutenant on attaining 30 months' seniority as a Sub Lieutenant. Promotion beyond the rank of Lieutenant is by selection.

Last edited:

DruAde

Lantern Swinger
yep I can see the paragraph now. Fook thats harsh. What about SUY ? They cant be midshipmen that would be totaly BS.

chapter 66-34

Last edited:

cjg375

Lantern Swinger
From BR3 Ch 50 all SUY join BRNC as SLt with some seniority based on their final rating rank. So no they don't get dropped to middie.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Progression to Officer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
T Warfare Officer Training Pipeline & career progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
G Weapon Engineering Officer Career Progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R progression of a weapons engineering officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
K Logistics Officer ( submariner) Training Pipeline and Career Progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
H WARFARE OFFICER - career progression after completing training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
A officer career progression The Corps 0
TechnicPR RN Police. Rating to officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
MoD_RSS Rich McHugh to take over as the new BPDTS Chief Executive Officer MoD News 0
S Joining Process - Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Finance and Procurement Officer MoD News 0
R What is the average day of a Warfare Officer (submarines) whilst on patrol? Submariners 3
MoD_RSS Puppy lovers should paws for thought to avoid being ‘Petfished’ this Christmas, warns Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Youngest ever officer rewarded for heroism at sea MoD News 0
R Air Traffic Control Officer The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam's Op-Ed MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2
T Waiting Time Warfare Officer Joining the Royal Navy 3
H Engineering Officer question RFA 6
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer briefing on coronavirus (COVID-19): 21 September 2020 MoD News 0
A Intelligence officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
MoD_RSS HMRC appoints Chief Digital and Information Officer MoD News 0
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Cadet Deck officer college choices. RFA 9
J Intelligence Officer Lifestyle and Questions Joining the Royal Navy 3
P Officer academic requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Officer or Rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
Y Logistics Officer RFA 2
S Employment Opportunities and Qualifications for Warfare Intelligence Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S RN Diving Officer The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Richard Irvine appointed as UK’s Deputy Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for Asda Stores Limited MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for TJ Morris Limited MoD News 0
Z Logistics Officer Training RFA 4
CiviPilot Deferring University Entry Waiting for Officer Application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Publications Officer (Apprentice) MoD News 0
I marine engineering officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
I Officer Near Visual Acuity for Category 1 or 2 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Good routes for RNR GE Officer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS Charity Commission appoints Nick Baker as new Chief Operating Officer MoD News 0
C Warfare Intelligence Officer Joining the Royal Navy 2
C Application referred to senior medical officer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
D Information on RFA Cadet Officer (Deck) course RFA 6
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Investigation Support Officer, Southampton MoD News 0
T Systems Engineer Officer Training and Beyond RFA 2
MoD_RSS Magnox announces new Chief Operating Officer MoD News 0
F Possible Rejoin - SE Officer opportunities RFA 1