Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Officer progression post BRNC

Unfortunately many young officers see being a D.O. as a thorn in their side rather than using the experience to progress their careers

Its a shame that you are right, I sound like I've drunk the kool-aid here but, the Divisional System is one of the best things the Navy has, without a doubt.

A thorn it is not! But I don't think your average AB knows just how much hilarity they can add to their DO's day! Jack is somehow simultaneously the wittiest, funniest and often most infuriating example of humanity to inhabit this planet!

WreckerL said:
Confused me now, I thought PO was an officer?
Confused me too, to be honest!

Last edited:

slim

War Hero
Its a shame that you are right, I sound like I've drunk the kool-aid here but, the Divisional System is one of the best things the Navy has, without a doubt.

A thorn it is not! But I don't think your average AB knows just how much hilarity they can add to their DO's day! Jack is somehow simultaneously the wittiest, funniest and often most infuriating example of humanity to inhabit this planet!

Confused me too, to be honest!

While serving I was informed that thr Royan Naval Divisional system was the finest way to manage men going. I was also informed that the Army and RAF had nothing to compare with it.

I'll say this in public, rather than keeping it to a PM. For any young Dabber Officer out there, I would urge you, in the strongest possible terms, to pass your CQ1 exam(s) ASAP, ideally before the end of your first assignment.

rmAET

Badgeman
What would rank would I be on joining BRNC having served 5 years as an AB? And subsequently how long would I need to serve to pick up the next rank?

wannabejack

Lantern Swinger
What would rank would I be on joining BRNC having served 5 years as an AB? And subsequently how long would I need to serve to pick up the next rank?

You'd be a Midshipman on joining and leaving BRNC. And I'm pretty sure that as a UY you'd still be a midshipman for 12 months then a S/Lt for 30 months. Your seniority might speed that up by a few months though - just speculating on that one.

dsgrnmcm

Lantern Swinger
I'll say this in public, rather than keeping it to a PM. For any young Dabber Officer out there, I would urge you, in the strongest possible terms, to pass your CQ1 exam(s) ASAP, ideally before the end of your first assignment.

ATG, in dabber terms do you mean first draft as in FCA? Seems a bit soon after IWOC?

Yup, and not really. Nav 1-3 (Rules of the Road, General Nav and something else!) and HM1 are all completed on PNO Course for MCMV NOs, as well as FNO Course. They are a benchmark of knowledge, and getting them completed early is a signifier to your Ops Officer/XO/CO as to your intent for the future, and thus allows reporting to be focused appropriately. The CQ1 practical is a different kettle of fish (and quite hard), and I would suggest that aiming to pass it at the same time you hit the mandatory 36 months sea service is a good headmark.

dsgrnmcm

Lantern Swinger
So after SFT, IWOC on a first job I.e. OOW 9 on a FF/DD or GUNZ/CORRO on a MM/PP while you are getting your BWQ and PE'd also do CQ1?

So after SFT, IWOC on a first job I.e. OOW 9 on a FF/DD or GUNZ/CORRO on a MM/PP while you are getting your BWQ and PE'd also do CQ1?

PE should take a couple of weeks, BWQ done in 6 - 9 months (12 at the most). What are you going to do for the rest of your 18 - 24 months? You can always find reasons not to do something like this, and then, like some of my contemporaries, you'll suddenly be a mid-seniority Lt Cdr and not passed any of them.

Full disclosure, I took 7 when I was an OOW; Gulf deployments pass very slowly otherwise.

For CQ1 - yes. For CQ2 - no. CQ2 has a significant Warfare and Command level element to it; you definitely won't be able to do the Warfare stuff until post-PWO (or studying v v hard), the Command level element (Op Auth in particular) will depend entirely on you and your comprehension of stuff.

Tomahawk

Lantern Swinger
I'm trying to understand all of this, especially the acronyms and hopefully retain it so if I somehow manage to get into the RN as a Warfare Officer, I've got this to guide me for future progression.

CWOHILDRETH

Midshipman
I'm trying to understand all of this, especially the acronyms and hopefully retain it so if I somehow manage to get into the RN as a Warfare Officer, I've got this to guide me for future progression.

Tomahawk, are you in the process for applying yet?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

CQ1 - Command Qualification 1. Required for Command of a P2000 or XO of a Fish Boat. Also a prerequisite for CQ2.
CQ2 - Command Qualification 2. Required for Command of a MCMV or XO of FF/DD. Also a prerequisite for Command of a Frigate or Destroyer.
PE - Platform Endorsement. Certification from your CO that he/she thinks you are safe to drive the ship on his/her behalf, in a peacetime environment.
BWQ - Bridge Warfare Qualification. Certification from your CO that he/she thinks you are safe to drive the ship on his/her behalf, in a wartime environment.

OpAuth - Operational Authority. A Command exam that explores your ability to understand how and where to bend(break?) the rules that govern our safe use of warships.
HM1 - Hydrography and Meteorology 1. Basic weather as it relates to operating ships.

Anything else?

Tomahawk

Lantern Swinger
CQ1 - Command Qualification 1. Required for Command of a P2000 or XO of a Fish Boat. Also a prerequisite for CQ2.
CQ2 - Command Qualification 2. Required for Command of a MCMV or XO of FF/DD. Also a prerequisite for Command of a Frigate or Destroyer.
PE - Platform Endorsement. Certification from your CO that he/she thinks you are safe to drive the ship on his/her behalf, in a peacetime environment.
BWQ - Bridge Warfare Qualification. Certification from your CO that he/she thinks you are safe to drive the ship on his/her behalf, in a wartime environment.

OpAuth - Operational Authority. A Command exam that explores your ability to understand how and where to bend(break?) the rules that govern our safe use of warships.
HM1 - Hydrography and Meteorology 1. Basic weather as it relates to operating ships.

Anything else?

Brilliant, thanks for that! Think that's everything I was stuck on.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
You'd be a Midshipman on joining and leaving BRNC. And I'm pretty sure that as a UY you'd still be a midshipman for 12 months then a S/Lt for 30 months. Your seniority might speed that up by a few months though - just speculating on that one.

Don't believe so UY - go to S/Lt directly.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Progression to Officer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
T Warfare Officer Training Pipeline & career progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
G Weapon Engineering Officer Career Progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R progression of a weapons engineering officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
K Logistics Officer ( submariner) Training Pipeline and Career Progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
H WARFARE OFFICER - career progression after completing training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
A officer career progression The Corps 0
TechnicPR RN Police. Rating to officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
MoD_RSS Rich McHugh to take over as the new BPDTS Chief Executive Officer MoD News 0
S Joining Process - Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Finance and Procurement Officer MoD News 0
R What is the average day of a Warfare Officer (submarines) whilst on patrol? Submariners 3
MoD_RSS Puppy lovers should paws for thought to avoid being ‘Petfished’ this Christmas, warns Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Youngest ever officer rewarded for heroism at sea MoD News 0
R Air Traffic Control Officer The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam's Op-Ed MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2
T Waiting Time Warfare Officer Joining the Royal Navy 3
H Engineering Officer question RFA 6
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer briefing on coronavirus (COVID-19): 21 September 2020 MoD News 0
A Intelligence officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
MoD_RSS HMRC appoints Chief Digital and Information Officer MoD News 0
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Cadet Deck officer college choices. RFA 9
J Intelligence Officer Lifestyle and Questions Joining the Royal Navy 3
P Officer academic requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Officer or Rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
Y Logistics Officer RFA 2
S Employment Opportunities and Qualifications for Warfare Intelligence Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S RN Diving Officer The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Richard Irvine appointed as UK’s Deputy Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for Asda Stores Limited MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for TJ Morris Limited MoD News 0
Z Logistics Officer Training RFA 4
CiviPilot Deferring University Entry Waiting for Officer Application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Publications Officer (Apprentice) MoD News 0
I marine engineering officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
I Officer Near Visual Acuity for Category 1 or 2 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Good routes for RNR GE Officer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS Charity Commission appoints Nick Baker as new Chief Operating Officer MoD News 0
C Warfare Intelligence Officer Joining the Royal Navy 2
C Application referred to senior medical officer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
D Information on RFA Cadet Officer (Deck) course RFA 6
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Investigation Support Officer, Southampton MoD News 0
T Systems Engineer Officer Training and Beyond RFA 2
MoD_RSS Magnox announces new Chief Operating Officer MoD News 0
F Possible Rejoin - SE Officer opportunities RFA 1