Officer Processing Times

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jamesofdeath, Dec 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening Y'all.

First post on here so be kind please! I'm James, 24, looking for some helpful advice seeing as my local AFCO were useless when I went along there (the guy didn't even know the trade I was talking about existed!).

So, for the last 2 years I have been trying to get into the RAF as a Weapons System Officer. Everything looked good to go this year until the SDSR and now they've cut that trade out completely for another 2 years. I looked at different options left with the RAF but it seems that although they'll take my application just now, the processing times are 2 years away, for example the latest info I have been given is that I will sit my Pilot aptitude test if I go for that branch but would not begin training until July 2012.

Somebody has suggested the Navy to me to do a similar role; Aircrew Officer - Weapon Systems. The chappy at the AFCO told me that the Navy are still inviting applications for Officers but he hasn't told me about the processing times so that's really what my question is. If I put my name down for this trade, is the recruitment process moving along at the moment or will I be put on a waiting list for 2 years before I begin training? Any info would be fantastic!!

2. Hello James

Welcome to Rum Ration!

What do you have in the way of educational qualifications?

3. Hi Soleil,

8 credit standard grades (including maths and english), 6 Highers (level B and C) and an MA Degree in History.

4. James

As long as the 6 Highers come to 180 UCAS Points and everything else adds up, you can apply to be an Officer (although not every Officer job is open to you, because some need Engineering degrees). A candidate enquiring this week who successfully navigates all the stages of the Officer recruitment process, might be looking at a place at BRNC next September or January 2012.

I am assuming that you are thinking of this job:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/linkedfiles/upload/pdf/aw_faa_l3_rn_ao_v2_web.pdf

5. That's the one right there. I am considering looking at pilot also as the upper age limit is 25 (although I am currently 24 and would turn 25 in October next year so I'd be cutting it fine and would need to get onto the September intake!) but the Navigation Officer is my main choice. All the points add up :)

The waiting times don't seem as bad as I would have presumed!

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome, a promising start: "The AFCO were useless, but be nice to me."

Firstly the RAF WSO flies fixed wing, the RN have only very recently re-branded the Observer as Weapons Systems/Navigator & they are only rotary wing at present. It is therefore understandable when it comes to comparing like for like as they are different jobs. (As an aside it's amazing some numpty didn't re-brand it Supply Chain, Bombs Delivery). On the careers publication it states the following in the very first paragraph: "Your official title in the Royal Navy will be Observer".

Secondly, the question arises as to why it's taken two years to reach failure for the RAF. If it was due to still being in education, then there appears to be a gap of one or two years in achieving a Masters Degree. If it was due to medical or other suitability reasons, then pretty much the same rules apply for RN as RAF with regard standards for entry. An 18 year-old applicant already has 7 years more availablity than someone joining aged 25 - it's worth bearing in mind that aircrew are a very expensive commodity & the armed forces are age discrimination exempt.

The RN are much the same as the RAF when it comes to pilots as we've got plenty thanks, but not enough aircraft. For rotary wing Observers/ Weapons System/Navigators or whatever they call themselves this week, applications are being accepted, however places are few & far between.

In any event, Warfare & Aircrew Officers need to commence initial training (currently at BRNC, but watch this space) at least one day before their 26th birthday.

The advice, if eligible, is therefore to pull one's finger out & submit a completed application to sit the recruiting test & get the ball rolling rather than dripping about your local AFCO as you are possibly cutting it rather fine - even if you make the grade.

Good luck.

7. That's the chavest self intro since Chico's.
    You'd be better off waiting for the RAF. As a Hi 5 from the Squadron Leader is now the only salute nescessary on most RAF Stations you'd fit right in.

Ah well, the doorman 's not always the best man to chat with.

Once again the RAF seems right for you. Stick with it your Brylcream's in the post.

8. James,

I applied to be an X(SM) at the end of this Summer and am currently waiting on my date for AIB. My interviewer at Sift told me that assuming all goes well at AIB I can expect a September 2011 entry to BRNC. Although I applied before the SDSR, it was only a month or two at the most so I guess you could expect a roughly similar waiting time.

Ewan

9. You do really need to get cracking with the selection as soon as possible. Bear in mind that most AFCO's will be closing for Xmas from 17 Dec through until 4th Jan.

The clock is ticking, quickly

SM

:) :santa:

10. Welcome James

Firstly we know AFCOS can be useless but them sort off sentiments should be reserved for many years after you have Joined, they don't buy the wets , generally like the good life, but In general AFCOS not that I know many, bring a great deal of life experience to the table. They have served their Country, fought in wars and offer an excellent service to poeple who have yet to encounter the Royal Navy.

11. Hi, thanks for the advice. The AFCO have been back in touch with myself and there was a misunderstanding about which trade I was hoping to go for which has now been cleared up, all is looking much better. That being said, I don't think it is unreasonable to be unhappy about going to a careers office for advice and being given the wrong advice.

Ninja_Stoker, it has taken 2 years as I was deferred from all services for 2 years on medical grounds. My deferment ran out in September of this year but then obviously with the SDSR everything changed and a lot of options have gone out of the window which is when I started seriously thinking about the Fleet Air Arm and the roles offered. I left school in 2004 and graduated from uni in 2008. The information I was given by a Warrant Officer today would suggest that processing times at the moment are quite quick and a September intake (provided I pass all the tests) is what they would be aiming for so that's good news :)

Cheers for the help!

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Fair call.

Specifically, what advice was incorrect from the RN side of your enquiry?