Officer: PJFT?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Kelborn, Jan 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Pre-Joining Fitness Test (PJFT) must be completed before you will be accepted for training; this consists of a 2.4km run on a treadmill at a selected civilian fitness test centre which must be completed within the following times:

Above quoted from the "all you need to know about joining as a RATING.

Although I haven't yet received the application pack, I've already started getting in shape. I hadn't moved for about the last 5 years but am slowly cutting time of my 2.4km time.

But my question is this, are applicants for officer required to do the run? If not, how is fitness evaluated? I read that during the AIB you're required to do the multi stage thingamebob (beep test), are there other physical tests?

I'm not worrying at this point, I'm just accumulating informationg. Thanks in advance, Kel.

2. I wrote PJFT in the search box then chose Newbies and RN Branches and got this
    HERE

Look down the page and you will see it. You could then try the other three pages.

You've been on here since Jan 07! :thumright:

3. Hah, I wish, maybe if I had been on for that long. I wouldn't be such a noob.

Cheers harry.

:(

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There's currently no PJFT requirement for Officers, nor medical before AIB (except Royal Marines), however Potential Officers now undergo the Recruiting Test before the AIB at long last.

Many think it madness, however there are those that think it entirely appropriate because "It's always been like this". Therefore it is completely feasible for a 4 foot 11 inches tall, 30 stone, colour-blind, psychotic asthmatic with 5 GCSE's & 140 UCAS points at A level to roll up at huge expense at HMS Sultan without a hope in hell of passing AIB.

Sadly, I'm not joking.[​IMG]

5. At AIB the only fitness assesment is the bleep test, however, i would advise getting some upper body strength work in as you will look a bit of a noob if you can't swing on a rope across the water chasm.

I applied before the recruiting test came in so i'm not sure how that works, i know at BRNC you have to do a 2.4km run, a swimming test, sprints and situps and pressups, maybe some other things.

BAsically get as fit as you can! Nothing to lose by doing it, possibly only to gain in the long run (no pun intended :D)

6. Hey I passed =(

7. The division of labour between that of the mind and that of the hands.

It reminds me of when that old skipper, Odyyseus, used to plug his crew's ears with wax lest they heard the enchanting songs of the Sirens. However, because he was the skipper he used to leave his own ears unplugged and the beauty of their singing would wash over him. Trouble was the lads had to lash him to the mast in order to keep the daft bugger from jumping over board all day, but it was a damn sight better than having to row the fecking thing! :thumright:

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I rest my case. [​IMG]