Officer or Rating

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by TrialsLife, Oct 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

I know this is a question which has proabbly come up in the past, but I did a quick search and couldn't find the answers I wanted.

I'm currently in the process of joining up as a ET ME, RT has been compleated medical is on Saturday. I've always liked the idea, of joining up as a rating and then working my way up to officer as I feel I would benefit more from it this way.

Looking at some of the posts on here, getting from rating to officer is a long drawn process, and much of it comes down to luck of the draw. So I am thinking of going for ME officer.

What I'd like to know is;

Do officers get the same level of training as a rating?

How often would the job be "hands on"?

Is the waiting list any longer for a ME officer?

Do you have to have a degree? I'm in my last year of HNC in mech/man engineering. UCAS points are not a problem.

Thanks for any help.
  2. Hi TL!

The answer on your waiting time question is that the waiting time for MEO is/has been shorter. For Officer Entry, it's not so much "Waiting Time", rather the length of time it takes a candidate to work his/her way through the different segments of the application process, ie RT, PJFT, Eyesight Test, Medical, Sift Interview and an appointment with the AIB. There would then be a gap while the successful candidate waits for a space at BRNC. As things stand, someone applying recently for MEO would probably have been quoted, say, 9-12 months, starting from when he/she walks into the AFCO to when he/she walks into BRNC. However, so much is about to change - this could all look very different in a few weeks' time.

The PDF for MEO is here:
  3. As for hands on, an engineering officer very rarely gets to use his hands. An EO is a management figure. I have lost count of the number of guys we get coming into to AFCO from uni, who think as an engineer they will get to fix and solve problems. That is what technicians are for. An officer reports to the skipper when the defect is reticfied and gets all the praise. Pats on back and drinks in the wardroom. Where as the technicians will get shit for something else breaking normally sky tv. Oh well who wants to be a technician?
  4. Thanks soleil, thats cleared a fair few things up! I understand things are changing at the momment, just need to sit tight!

Cheers digger, I thought that may be the case with an officer. I'm currently a maintenance technitian, just on my 4th and final year as an apprentice. Training in my current work place is poor, most of the time I'm left to my own devices and alot of the time I don't get a chance to lead a breakdown, just sit and watch as someone does something without explaining. Which is the reason why the Royal Navy appeals to me, so I can get out of where I am and be trained properlly. I've always like the idea of joining as a rating, and working my way up as I feel that experianced ratings would make the best officers (just my opinion).

Even though the waiting times are long, and the road to officer from a rating would be long, I think I'm going to stick with being a rating. If there was a chance that I could join as an officer and have the same sort of training as a rating, i.e electrical instalation, welding etc I would.

Cheers for the help.
  5. Tell me more about these drinks.

On topic and not wishing to hijack the thread.

I assume that the role specific courses after brnc require a certain amount of past experience and know how (which is why an engineering based degree is required). At which point I wonder does a EO transfer from the learning a learning role to a management role (I appreciate it's always learning and will have a grey merging phase, but when does time spent lean more heavily on management).
    For the role I'm looking it, I assume AWEO is primarily learning, DWEO is a 50:50 role leaning towards man management and WEO is (time wise) 95% man management.