Officer or Rating

DingDong

Lantern Swinger
If you join as a marine, and are successful you have to do the commando section again.

Although I am an RN Lt, the calibre of person who joins as a RM officer is much higher than any other service and the competition is fierce for Late Commission.

If you have the qualifications for commissioned service, apply. If you are looking for Esprit de Corps, leadership, excellent people to work with then i would say you would gain all of that on either side of the fence.

However, the pension is better and the job prospects as an officer far outweigh those of a GD. All of the sexy jobs are open to you, and the opportunity to command a rifle troop seems like a gift handed from god himself.

But as i say, i am an RN Lt and this is only an observation

flaggolf

What qualifications do you have? A levels or Graduate look at a commission. I am an instructor in the Maritime Warfare School and have a mixture of pre RN academic achievments accredited to my students. The Graduates do not find the course I teach COMMUNICATIONS INFORMATIONS SYSTEMS BASIC LEVEL a challenge.

Aim High my friend, Aim High

Darkershadeofblu

Lantern Swinger
As in previous threads you can always drop down( no disrespect to the lower deck), but you can't always rise through the ranks as you will be constantly monitored for your officer like qualities (or lack of them) when trying to gain a commission once within the Corps. If you have the ability and the quals go for it now!

flaggolf said:
What qualifications do you have? A levels or Graduate look at a commission. I am an instructor in the Maritime Warfare School and have a mixture of pre RN academic achievments accredited to my students. The Graduates do not find the course I teach COMMUNICATIONS INFORMATIONS SYSTEMS BASIC LEVEL a challenge.

Aim High my friend, Aim High

When i finish college next year I will have A-levels. I know that an officer would lead to a higher pension but money not really an issue however it may become on. But being "one of th lads" the commradship etc appeals greatly!

War Hero
I get the impression that you're hoping someone will validate going in as a Marine rather than going for a commission, but it really depends what you want to do long term.

The two routes will give you very different experiences, you'll find that you'll get the camaraderie etc as an officer but the relationship with your troop will be different than if you're part of the troop as a marine, then later NCO. It's not an all or nothing situation.

Taking the UY or SUY route will lead to more respect from those you lead in future because of that history, but it's not automatic and you can lose any respect very easily regardless of the route you take. Plus the credibility you gain quickly expires

Personally I'd say that if you're academically qualified then go for a commission, if you don't achieve it then shift target and try for either UY or SUY later in life.

Karma said:
I get the impression that you're hoping someone will validate going in as a Marine rather than going for a commission, but it really depends what you want to do long term.

The two routes will give you very different experiences, you'll find that you'll get the camaraderie etc as an officer but the relationship with your troop will be different than if you're part of the troop as a marine, then later NCO. It's not an all or nothing situation.

Taking the UY or SUY route will lead to more respect from those you lead in future because of that history, but it's not automatic and you can lose any respect very easily regardless of the route you take. Plus the credibility you gain quickly expires

Personally I'd say that if you're academically qualified then go for a commission, if you don't achieve it then shift target and try for either UY or SUY later in life.
I know what you mean but its not the money i'm interested i want to be part of something and get stuck in. I'm not looking for someone to validate going in as a marine i was just wondering if i got the choice whuch would be better for me. thanks

War Hero
Honour_Courage_Respect said:
...its not the money i'm interested...

I didn't say anything much about the money, either way it's not too bad after the first few years. Above average anyway, but nothing special.

i want to be part of something and get stuck in.

If someone isn't prepared for that then they don't have a place in the service regardless of what badges they wear.

Latest Threads