Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Officer or Rating?

TigerSharkie

Midshipman
Hello, wondering what everyone’s experience is of joining as a rating and commissioning to officer? (If this is applicable)

And (most important question) would you recommend joining directly as officer or waiting for a commission?

Cheers

Waspie

War Hero
Cop a look at this lot.

It's amazing what you find when you do a search. (Top right of home page) Saves us ulduns getting all sarky because it's only been asked a gazillion times!!!!!

TigerSharkie

Midshipman
My apologies, cheers for the reply.
I only recently discovered the old thread after posting (it vomited a load of options at me).
Would be good to get some new opinions however, if these threads are older :)

But will check them out - again, thank you

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
If you want to be an officer, join as an officer. Joining as a rating aspiring to be an officer is fraught with danger, what if you don't make it and are stuck as a rating?

crash_evans

War Hero
I can only echo what [mention]WreckerL [/mention] and [mention]soleil [/mention] have said.

If you have the brains, don’t waste your time as a lower deck. Hoping to be a grown up later down the line may lead you into danger.

What is your heart set on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TigerSharkie

Midshipman
Thank you for your replies lads/ladies.
I currently have A levels, a degree under my belt and I’m going for a masters during my wait time, relevant to the WO role I intend to apply for. I perhaps need to relax from my gung-ho attitude and bide my time. Which I shall. (And which is why I have selected a masters programme, as I would like to spend my wait time preparing and bettering myself)

Waspie

War Hero
@SeaHawk14 .

Can't speak for now. But the navy of 25 odd years ago, if it recognised talent would nurture and help.

TBH, I don't see the point if you have the qualifications and requisite skill set to start at the bottom, ie, rating and then work up a very long ladder. When!!! You have the necessary to start half way up the ladder with more financial benefits and perks!!! Just not logical.

soleil

War Hero
Thank you for your replies lads/ladies.
I currently have A levels, a degree under my belt and I’m going for a masters during my wait time, relevant to the WO role I intend to apply for. I perhaps need to relax from my gung-ho attitude and bide my time. Which I shall. (And which is why I have selected a masters programme, as I would like to spend my wait time preparing and bettering myself)

Which subjects are your degree and Masters in, TS?

TigerSharkie

Midshipman
But I have always been interested in the navy - I’ve done a good work up of my sea warfare history, I’m currently just looking into British occupation of the Caribbean and different bits and pieces that happened there.
I’m a big nerd at heart. I just love to learn and want to put it to good use.

Waspie

War Hero
But I have always been interested in the navy - I’ve done a good work up of my sea warfare history, I’m currently just looking into British occupation of the Caribbean and different bits and pieces that happened there.
I’m a big nerd at heart. I just love to learn and want to put it to good use.

I hope you're using a suitable rum and I assume 'pieces' refers to pieces of eight!!!

pompeyexpat

War Hero
I’m going to echo what others have said; as someone who commissioned from the ranks and has been involved in training young officers.

If you want to be an Officer, join as an Officer. I enjoyed my time (all 20 years of it) on the lower deck, but I didn’t join with the intention of commissioning.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Join as a Rating or Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
T Advice on officer or rating please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
Rum_pot Joining as rating then joining as an officer Joining the Royal Navy 19
W Rating to Officer after Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 8
T Advice needed: officer vs rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Rating to officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Walter_white Should I do A levels and become an officer even though I've already applied as a rating? Joining the Royal Navy 25
T RNR-Transferring from Rating to Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
sweetpea UK, Naval Officer and Rating Service Records, 1802-1919. History 6
S Went for officer got offered rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
I SCC Rating and Officer? SCC and URNU 2
G Apply to RN as Rating or Officer? Help please! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
S Logistics Officer (SM) and Rating promotion... Submariners 16
D Rating to Officer...? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
D If an application for officer has failed, can you still pursue a career as a rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
2 Can i transfer to be an officer once i have trained up to be a rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
A Rating or Officer? RN or RFA? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Switching application from Officer to Rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
M Going from Rating to Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Officer or Rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
T Rating to Officer ?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
S rating to officer The Gash Barge 9
C Rating to Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
A Rating to Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
T Officer or Rating?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
S officer vs rating Blogs 4
B Officer vs Rating The Gash Barge 25
L Rating to Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
philcom3 rating to officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R077 RN Aptitude Test info (rating, officer etc.) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Can i join as a Rating and become an Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
J Officer entry vs Rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
H Officer or Rating The Corps 31
T Rating-Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
N Are you an Officer/NCO/Rating, etc (1:naval survey)? Site Issues 18
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam's Op-Ed MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2
T Waiting Time Warfare Officer Joining the Royal Navy 3
H Engineering Officer question RFA 6
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer briefing on coronavirus (COVID-19): 21 September 2020 MoD News 0
A Intelligence officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
MoD_RSS HMRC appoints Chief Digital and Information Officer MoD News 0
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Cadet Deck officer college choices. RFA 9
J Intelligence Officer Lifestyle and Questions Joining the Royal Navy 3
P Officer academic requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
Y Logistics Officer RFA 2