Officer non-grad educational standards

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by cupoftea, Nov 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I found this on the PRMC forum.

Does this (in particular my bold) apply to RN officer candidates as well?

I currently hold 150 UCAS points at AS level, grade C at the highest. I was going to make up the shortfall by doing an extra AS level by correspondence study but if the RN requirements are the same then it looks like the hill just got a bit steeper. :roll:
  2. As I feared... the hill is steeper.

Thank you for the clarification Chris, much obliged.
  3. Don't get disheartened, with the amount of time it takes to process the average application you could probably complete any course.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The bit you have to be careful of, for graduates in particular, is that you still need the A Level or equivalent UCAS points even if you have a degree.

It all gets a little confusing:

You should contact AIB for verification of academic requirements & whether it's acceptable to "top-up" using a grade A or B AS Level or whether you need to obtain the full 180 UCAS within a two year period if you are over 13 months since graduating.

AS Levels are only valid at grade B or better.

Best of luck.
  5. I'm in a similarly annoying position at the moment, i'm a graduate but when I was at school for sixth form I was living overseas. I did some random foreign qualifications, they have a UCAS points value but I am currently awaiting confirmation from the AIB that they will accept them... one day they'll actually let me sit my board :roll:
  6. Thanks for the input gents.

Ninja_Stoker what is the minimum return of service for a pilot?