Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Officer Near Visual Acuity for Category 1 or 2

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you might be able to give a bit of advice on eye tests as I'm planning on joining up as an officer after rona lockdown is done and I had my eyes done privately to actually see what they are (as I want to ideally fly or be warfare) and my eyes are fine, within all those weird measurements I have no bloody clue about, apart from my near visual acuity, in my poorer eye (left eye) whilst my right eye (and shooting eye) is more than perfect 6/6 & N5 unaided with 6/5 & N4 aided. My poorer eye is 6/12 unaided and N7, with aid to 6/8 & N6... So I fall just short on my left eye with it not liking to read stuff up close as my eyes are naturally a bit longsighted.

Would this actually be an issue for me? As not meeting N5 in my poorer eye seems to throw me straight into the third category, even though my eyes are otherwise perfect for the first category. I guess if all else fails, I can wear a dress and be an atheist chaplain!

Thanks in advance.

RabC

MIA
Sadly there is no one on here medically qualified to answer your question. You may get answers where people “think” they know the answer but take them with a dose of salt. Speak to a recruiter who will be able to seek the correct advice on your behalf. Good luck in whatever your chosen profession ends up being.

soleil

War Hero
Hi everyone, I'm hoping you might be able to give a bit of advice on eye tests as I'm planning on joining up as an officer after rona lockdown is done and I had my eyes done privately to actually see what they are (as I want to ideally fly or be warfare) and my eyes are fine, within all those weird measurements I have no bloody clue about, apart from my near visual acuity, in my poorer eye (left eye) whilst my right eye (and shooting eye) is more than perfect 6/6 & N5 unaided with 6/5 & N4 aided. My poorer eye is 6/12 unaided and N7, with aid to 6/8 & N6... So I fall just short on my left eye with it not liking to read stuff up close as my eyes are naturally a bit longsighted.

Would this actually be an issue for me? As not meeting N5 in my poorer eye seems to throw me straight into the third category, even though my eyes are otherwise perfect for the first category. I guess if all else fails, I can wear a dress and be an atheist chaplain!

Thanks in advance.

There are two criteria for eyesight when it comes to eligibility, Visual Acuity and Colour Perception. The requirement for Pilots/Observers is 1/1, for Warfare Officers it's 2/1.

I see that you say that you are "planning on joining up as an officer after rona lockdown is done". I'm assuming that this means that you aren't currently engaging with the application system at the moment.

If that is the case, I would suggest that you complete the '"Request Your Application" page for Pilot now. Nothing you might think or imagine about your eyesight is really relevant, as it is the result of the eyesight test initiated by the AFCO which counts.

You will be that little bit closer to knowing whether Pilot is an option open to you once you are engaging with the actual application process. It could be that the right option for you will be Warfare Officer, but you will only know this once you have an ongoing application.

I wouldn't spend lots of time fretting and wondering, to be honest. Your time would be better spent going for a run, so that you are on your way to the standard of physical fitness you need; let the question of your eyesight sort itself out at a later date.

Last edited:
Sadly there is no one on here medically qualified to answer your question. You may get answers where people “think” they know the answer but take them with a dose of salt.

That's all I'm after, thanks :)
I have talked to the recruitment at an AFCO but they just shrug and say 'only the medical officer will know' sorta thing. Which is fair enough, as they're not medical after all.

You will be that little bit closer to knowing whether Pilot is an option open to you once you are engaging with the actual application process. It could be that the right option for you will be Warfare Officer, but you will only know this once you have an ongoing application.

Could that hamper my chances of warfare recruitment if I go for pilot and get declined for my eyes? Like they'd think I don't want to be Warfare or something.
Also keeping in top shape during the lockdown. Just trying to beat a 11:30 2.5k & 28:38 5k atm (happy for advice to boost pace!)

soleil

War Hero
That's all I'm after, thanks :)
I have talked to the recruitment at an AFCO but they just shrug and say 'only the medical officer will know' sorta thing. Which is fair enough, as they're not medical after all.

Could that hamper my chances of warfare recruitment if I go for pilot and get declined for my eyes? Like they'd think I don't want to be Warfare or something.
Also keeping in top shape during the lockdown. Just trying to beat a 11:30 2.5k & 28:38 5k atm (happy for advice to boost pace!)

Personally speaking, I can't see how it would affect your chances of being selected for Warfare Officer; it's actually a sensible option for an applicant to have.

Something you should know is that it can be pretty difficult to get from that moment when you fill in the online form to walking up the hill to BRNC to join as a Pilot. As long as there isn't something in play which could be a bar to entry, it makes sense for someone applying for Pilot to consider what they would do if Pilot were not possible. There will be several candidates at any one point who are discovering that they aren't 1/1 in eyesight terms; it's not something they would know until they had been officially tested. The AIB must see a fair few candidates who thought that Pilot was for them and then had to consider other options. They wouldn't be surprised to be presented with someone in that situation. Presenting a positive attitude at that point would be important, in my view.

Fill in that form.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Andrew Garton to take over as BPDTS Chief Financial Officer (CFO) MoD News 0
E 2021 joining timeline - Engineering officer cadet RFA 1
G Change from Officer to Rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Dstl exchange officer inducted into United States Space Force MoD News 0
M Officer requirements UPO/Careers Office 6
D WARFARE OFFICER TRAINING + CAREER PIPELINE (up to date, 2021) Joining the Royal Navy 10
L The Return of the Warrant Officer Two The Fleet 27
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Jonathan Van-Tam opinion piece in The Sunday Telegraph MoD News 0
M Questions regarding the Royal Navy Medical Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Death of serving CNC police officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tom Cargill appointed as new Wilton Park Chief Executive Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mal Singh is to step down as BPDTS Ltd’s Chief Finance Officer MoD News 0
T Diving Officer Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Inspection Report Published: An inspection of the Home Office Presenting Officer function MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty on national alert levels MoD News 0
N Logistic officer UPO/Careers Office 8
K Officer leaving: how much notice? Finance & Pensions 10
R Logistics officer submariner questions Joining the Royal Navy 1
B Met officer questions UPO/Careers Office 16
LandScrubber Deck Officer courses? RFA 14
MoD_RSS Remarks delivered by H.E. Governor Nigel Dakin CMG, and Chief Medical Officer, Dr Nadia Astwood, at the national press conference on COVID vaccination MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from Chief Medical Officer, Professor Chris Whitty about new strain of Covid-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Medical Officer’s annual report outlines health challenges in England MoD News 0
N Chief Petty Officer Eric Cousins. Nearest & Dearest 2
C Warfare Officer Surface to Sub Joining the Royal Navy 2
R Engineering officer or engineering advanced apprenticeship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
L Engineering officer docked duties Submariners 4
jjake101 How do you choose between officer and rating roles? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Former prison officer jailed for longer MoD News 0
TechnicPR RN Police. Rating to officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
MoD_RSS Rich McHugh to take over as the new BPDTS Chief Executive Officer MoD News 0
S Joining Process - Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Finance and Procurement Officer MoD News 0
R What is the average day of a Warfare Officer (submarines) whilst on patrol? Submariners 6
MoD_RSS Puppy lovers should paws for thought to avoid being ‘Petfished’ this Christmas, warns Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Youngest ever officer rewarded for heroism at sea MoD News 0
R Air Traffic Control Officer The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam's Op-Ed MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2
T Waiting Time Warfare Officer Joining the Royal Navy 3
H Engineering Officer question RFA 6
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer briefing on coronavirus (COVID-19): 21 September 2020 MoD News 0
A Intelligence officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
MoD_RSS HMRC appoints Chief Digital and Information Officer MoD News 0
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Cadet Deck officer college choices. RFA 9
J Intelligence Officer Lifestyle and Questions Joining the Royal Navy 3
P Officer academic requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5