Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Officer joining requirements

icarus11

Midshipman
Hi everyone, I was looking at the Warfare Intelligence Officer role and wanted to ask about the entry requirements. It says you need 72 UCAS points / 5 GCSE’s. All I was wondering was do you need both the UCAS points and the GCSE’s? I have over 72 UCAS points but not 5 GCSE’s so I was wondering wether that would be enough or you need both to join as an officer, thanks in advance.

soleil

War Hero
Hi everyone, I was looking at the Warfare Intelligence Officer role and wanted to ask about the entry requirements. It says you need 72 UCAS points / 5 GCSE’s. All I was wondering was do you need both the UCAS points and the GCSE’s? I have over 72 UCAS points but not 5 GCSE’s so I was wondering wether that would be enough or you need both to join as an officer, thanks in advance.

Did you take an alternative exam to the GCSEs, Icarus or did something happen which meant that you sat your GCSES but didn't pass any?

icarus11

Midshipman
Did you take an alternative exam to the GCSEs, Icarus or did something happen which meant that you sat your GCSES but didn't pass any?
I probably could’ve worded that better haha. I have sat my scottish equivalent to gcse (national 5/higher) in high school but i only have 3 of them, not 5 as the eligibility states. I do however have over 72 UCAS points which is the amount required which makes me wonder if that would be enough to join as an officer or if I would need more gcse’s in which i’d join as a rating (which is my main goal however curious as to wether this is enough to join as an officer)

soleil

War Hero
I probably could’ve worded that better haha. I have sat my scottish equivalent to gcse (national 5/higher) in high school but i only have 3 of them, not 5 as the eligibility states. I do however have over 72 UCAS points which is the amount required which makes me wonder if that would be enough to join as an officer or if I would need more gcse’s in which i’d join as a rating (which is my main goal however curious as to wether this is enough to join as an officer)

Which subjects are your Scottish N5s in and at which grades?

icarus11

Midshipman
Which subjects are your Scottish N5s in and at which grades?
I have History at (Nat 5 - A) (Higher A) (Adv higher B)
Modern studies national 5 at C
English (nat 5 B) (Higher D)
I only have the basic national 4 maths and national 4 german however which i don’t think counts as a gcse since you don’t sit an exam for it, it’s pass or fail. I feel my qualifications are in a similar subject area but again it’s the UCAS points i have which make me curious , could be one for afco to answer

Last edited:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
A wether is a castrated ram (a male sheep) or a castrated billy (a male goat). Farmers will castrate their male goats or sheep to create wethers to ensure only the best male breeds with the females.

soleil

War Hero
Icarus

I've been referring to a document called BR3 to try to understand whether what you are offering as your GCSE equivalents would match what is asked of Officer applicants.

Para. 0756 seeks to clarify the equivalents in the modern Scottish system.

What it says is "Within a National 5, a student will receive a grade A to D. There is no A* however grades A to C map across to the equivalent GCSE grade (A to C). Therefore, where the matrix currently stipulates that a candidate must hold a GCSE A* to C, this will equate to a National 5 grade C or above."

A quick calculation suggests to me that you might be missing 2 at N5 level and that one of the missing 2 is Maths.

Can you say how you have calculated your UCAS points?

PS You will need to run this past the AFCO as well, just for confirmation.

soleil

War Hero
Something which I wanted to add was a suggestion that you ask at local colleges whether you could study for the two N5s you are missing, making sure that one of them is Maths, during the next 12 months.

I'm not quite sure whether actual classes will be available, but they may be planning online tuition, at least for this coming term.

icarus11

Midshipman
Icarus

I've been referring to a document called BR3 to try to understand whether what you are offering as your GCSE equivalents would match what is asked of Officer applicants.

Para. 0756 seeks to clarify the equivalents in the modern Scottish system.

What it says is "Within a National 5, a student will receive a grade A to D. There is no A* however grades A to C map across to the equivalent GCSE grade (A to C). Therefore, where the matrix currently stipulates that a candidate must hold a GCSE A* to C, this will equate to a National 5 grade C or above."

A quick calculation suggests to me that you might be missing 2 at N5 level and that one of the missing 2 is Maths.

Can you say how you have calculated your UCAS points?

PS You will need to run this past the AFCO as well, just for confirmation.
I entered my qualifications into the UCAS calculator. Ill speak to AFCO about it but really i’m not too fussed as i plan to join as a rating anyway. Thanks for your help and advice

soleil

War Hero
I entered my qualifications into the UCAS calculator. Ill speak to AFCO about it but really i’m not too fussed as i plan to join as a rating anyway. Thanks for your help and advice

You're welcome.

I'm assuming that this is the Rating role which interests you:

When you speak to the CA at the AFCO, ask him/her to tell you about the Upper Yardman and Senior Upper Yardman schemes. They are designed to provide opportunities for the promotion of ratings on the Trained Strength to obtain commissioned rank (become an Officer).

Although you may not have the academics for Officer entry at the moment, this doesn't mean that the opportunity won't exist for you later via the UY/SUY schemes.

Something which is worth bearing in mind is that for the UY scheme, you would still need your 5 GCSE equivalents. Although there will be chances to pursue GCSEs while serving, if you have time on your side (and you may do, depending on the waiting time for entry), it's worth checking whether there is scope for obtaining your two missing N5s during your wait to join.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Young_Spike *** MED OFFICER JOINING REQUIREMENTS *** The Fleet 10
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
L Joining as Officer but undecided, need helping choosing Joining the Royal Navy 25
Spiced Buoy Leadership oppertunities before joining as officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
R Joining as a Warfare Officer at 31 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Rum_pot Joining as rating then joining as an officer Joining the Royal Navy 19
W Joining as a Logistics Supply officer RFA 5
J Joining as an officer at 26 (soon 27) years old Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
torizis Joining the navy as a Medical or Dental Officer Joining the Royal Navy 7
T Joining RM Officer Joining the Royal Navy 2
C Joining as Deck Officer Cadet RFA 1
A Joining as an Logistics Officer with foreign education certificates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M Joining as a Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B Joining up as a Logistics Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
W Joining as an officer... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Joining back up as an officer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
E In process of joining as RM officer The Corps 6
soleil RN Recruitment Advert - Joining As An Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
I Joining problems officer level Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M MN Officer joining RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
C "Joining the RFA as an Engineering Officer Cadet through the HND route" RFA 3
T Thinking of joining the Navy as a Warfare Officer The Fleet 3
ipitythafool Joining the RNR as a Officer? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 40
W Ex-Army Officer thinking of joining RMR RMR 10
Akritoi Joining as an Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam's Op-Ed MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2
T Waiting Time Warfare Officer Joining the Royal Navy 3
H Engineering Officer question RFA 6
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer briefing on coronavirus (COVID-19): 21 September 2020 MoD News 0
A Intelligence officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
MoD_RSS HMRC appoints Chief Digital and Information Officer MoD News 0
M Cadet Deck officer college choices. RFA 9
J Intelligence Officer Lifestyle and Questions Joining the Royal Navy 3
P Officer academic requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Officer or Rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
Y Logistics Officer RFA 2
S Employment Opportunities and Qualifications for Warfare Intelligence Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S RN Diving Officer The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Richard Irvine appointed as UK’s Deputy Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for Asda Stores Limited MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for TJ Morris Limited MoD News 0
Z Logistics Officer Training RFA 4
CiviPilot Deferring University Entry Waiting for Officer Application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Publications Officer (Apprentice) MoD News 0
I marine engineering officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
I Officer Near Visual Acuity for Category 1 or 2 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Good routes for RNR GE Officer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2