Officer interview questions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Scuba Boris, Apr 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

Due to unforeseen circumstances I have made the decision to switch my application from MCD to RNO.

I am now going for my formal interview to be assessed for AIB and part of the requirements is to understand all aspect of the job and I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I am supposed to know the fitness requirements for an officer, and apart from the PJFT times, I cannot find anything else. I can find requirements for ratings, divers and marines but not officers. Can someone shed some light on the specifics please?

Secondly, during the first 30 weeks at BRNC what opportunity is there for returning home, is it just at the end of each 10 week interval or are there weekends during etc?

Thirdly, on the print out from the navy a non grad recruit starts as a midshipman/2nd lieutenant on £16k then after BRNC goes up to £24k. The graduate is just listed as £29k - £32k. I am assuming the graduate officer starts on the same £16k for BRNC then their salary will go to the higher figure, is that correct?

And finally, i knew that at Raleigh the food was about £4 a day and the living costs were £17 a month. What are the costs for an officer at BRNC?

I have been reading the Times and Independent newspapers, reading up on NATO and the UN and learning the whole fleet and the role I am applying for, just need a little help with these last few questions and so any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

2. Are you applying for Warfare Officer, SB?

3. No Soleil, I'm going for Logistics Officer

4. The only fitness requirement pre-entry is the PJFT. Once in, you will do PT but you don't need to know specifics. It is more important for your Sift Interview that you understand your training pipeline and future job.
    Not totally sure on the BRNC leave issue, but suspect weekend leave is allowed after the first few weeks. However, you will find yourself worked hard and a beer and curry in town with your new mates may be a more attractive option!
    Good luck.

5. Hi, during the first term there are no visits home, just families weekend at week 5 (family come to Dartmouth, visit college have a look round, meal out sat eve, church on sun, lunch, watch a bit of phys ect). You won't get a day off at all for those 10 weeks!

2nd term there are a few weekenders (home leave). Depending how far away home is from Dartmouth. You need to be able to gat home and back from fri eve til sun eve. You won't have your car.

3rd term is initial fleet time so you are away.

You get 2 weeks off between each term.

Mess bill is roughly £400 per month, accom, meals, laundry and bar etc.

Graduate pay starts at 29k from day 1 of training.

Hope this helps, good luck.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Only for graduates joining BRNC before April 2013, thereafter it's the same pay for graduates and non-grads: £24,615

More here: Changes afoot: When to join as an Officer?

7. Thanks N S I forgot about that.

8. The weak never started, the good died along the way-the rest became Navy Divers! ;-)

9. Thanks guys,

you've been very helpful with the quick responses, just hope the interview goes to plan and i get on the AIB soon. All this talk of time at BRNC makes me wish i was there already!!

10. It's to get you used to wardroom life from the outset, mess bills are a way of life for hossifers.

11. And Senior Rates.......... maybe someone could start a thread about why........?

• Like Like x 2
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I enjoyed that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Never mind all that - how did you get past the '11 character' nazi?

14. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer