Officer Interview for RN

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by wjspence, Jun 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I am currently in the process of applying for Officers in the RN and need a little help with regards to the career pipeline for an officer. I am mainly interested in going down the warfare route if that helps at all.

Mainly with what would happen after the first 28 weeks at Dartmouth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

2. Potential Officer is your man!!! :wink: :wink: Wanabee Snotty

3. I'm going down the same route and have been doing some research on it but there is a bit on conflicting stuff out there. And I'm not sure about the difference of going in with a degree. There's a page on the RN website which tries to describe what happens but it's a bit confusing when everyone splits off to their chosen branches. I'll look for the link.

4. To do what? Make a human pyramid? :lol:

Speak to your AFCO mate. There are people here who can give you the right information (such as Ninja_Stoker) but generally the more interaction you have with your specific Lt./adviser/imaginary friend the better, rather than turn up with weeks in the interim without having make any contact. At least, that's my view/opinion..

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Quality. 8)

Wanna job?

6. Oh go on :wink:

7. Register your details on the careers section of the Royal Navy website and they will soon get in touch to arrange an initial interview with you, which is less an interview and more a chat about what you want to do in the RN. (However dress as if you are going to a formal interview, and it would help if you have a vague idea about the RN, but they are not looking for someone who can recall all of Jane's Fighting Ships!)

After Dartmouth is where you all go your different ways per branch, and this has just changed with the introduction with IOT 09, check out the latest edition of the Navy News to see a double page spread on the changes of Dartmouth.

A degree is not always necessary (except for Engineers), however those with a degree are awarded 3 years Seniority and will pass out of Dartmouth as Sub-Lieutenants, those without a degree will pass out as God's Chosen Midshipman. The Navy can award varying degrees of seniority dependant on previous experience, e.g. civilian bridge experience, or for a Masters degree.