officer eyesight tests conducted at boots?

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think thats wrong, I'm pretty certain ALL MoD (inc CS) eyesight tests are now conducted at Specsavers under a Government framework agreement.

I went t'boots and had a contact lense consulation as well as the test- cheers MOD. I had a form and could book when i wanted though- does the navy have opticians? (Genuine question as i don't have a scooby)

There is a link to eyesight standards somewhere, but unless you have a good knowledge of eye related things it is mostly gobeldygook! Is there something eye related in particular that is worrying you?

BRd 1750A Chapter 5. Details of eyesight standards required for all branches and how they go about testing. Hope this helps.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

I did a colour perception test recently on a 14 plate set which seems to be the same as the one which is used for the medical and I only just passed it on the borderline so If I had to repeat it not one but twice then I will probably fail it.

I did mine at Boot's. You should receive a letter from your AFCO informing you of all the details, such as where and when.

My AFCO even booked my appointment for me, which I thought was rather kind of them.

I did a colour perception test recently on a 14 plate set which seems to be the same as the one which is used for the medical and I only just passed it on the borderline so If I had to repeat it not one but twice then I will probably fail it.

Well i imagine the stringent requirements for that role are in place for a reason. Probably better to misjudge a colour sat in a comfy opticians rather then at a time when it could be problematic and dangerous, no? The recruitment system isn't there for fun and to ruin people's dreams; it is there to ensure roles are filled with the appropriate people. Can always try and if you do fail explore the other options, if you don't give it a go then you have already failed anyway. Also as it is a boots optician your actual appointment will be an hour after the time of your appointment.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The visual acuity eye test is contracted to Boots, but you can go to any optician and claim back the charge. The optician grades your eye sight in one of 4 categories. Warfare is the highest standard, Logistics & Engineers have the widest acceptable grades.

The AFCO medical includes a colour perception test. Divers, because they`re special, have invented a different eyesight standard to everyone else due to the fact they can`t put prescription lenses in full face diving masks.

The visual acuity eye test is contracted to Boots, but you can go to any optician and claim back the charge. The optician grades your eye sight in one of 4 categories. Warfare is the highest standard, Logistics & Engineers have the widest acceptable grades.

The AFCO medical includes a colour perception test. Divers, because they`re special, have invented a different eyesight standard to everyone else due to the fact they can`t put prescription lenses in full face diving masks.
But we can lenses underwater. My eyes were -2.25 the whole time in the branch. Pusser even paid for my lenses.