Officer Entry

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by 89stavanger, Jun 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm 18 and i've just left school with 10A*s and hopefully 4 As, i've got into kings london for medicine but i'm not sure i want to do that. Would i stand a chance of getting into officer training? I think i could get fit enough i did the 55 mile ten tors last year.. though i'm sure it doesn't compare.

Where should i start making enquiries about it and tell me if u think it's dumb idea! thanks

2. Go to Kings and get your MD. You will still be young enough to join up afterwards and we'll still be fighting wars e.g. Afghanistan, by the time you finish training.

3. The rest of us join up because we HAVEN'T got 10 A*s and 4 A's - think about it :)

Tufty
    www.s61.org

4. 89, sorry, but this is a dumb idea!!
    Actually I think it's madness! Go to King's and get your Medical Degree.
    The RN will still be here in 6 yrs, your spot at King's may not be. As Harry said, you are still young enough to join after you finish. Just have a good look over the site. Have a look at any of the threads that have to do with civvie street. A lot of folks find it hard to find careers after the RN, and or to adjust. As a Doctor you will not! You have the opportunity to have the best of both worlds. You can train for a career that will put you in good stead for the Navy, and to give you a fulfilling career afterwards.
    Go to Kings and I will look forward to working with Dr 89 in a few yrs time.

5. Hello mate

I too agree with all that has been posted. Go away, get your MD and then concider your future. As Harry said, there will always be wars to fight and your skills as a Doctor will be needed to continue to save lives out there.

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Doctor....Bootneck.....ennie meinie minie mo.......we both get to shag nurses, doctors get paid more though. Are you a bone doctor?

7. You have to be a Steward

You are DUMB :bball:

8. You will be their !!! Shit happenns But your clever :thumright:

9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

one minite he's clever, the next he's dumb.............gotta be an occifer, at least us fcukwits are consistently dumb.

10. Hello 89 and welcome to the madness, have to concur with the majority, get your Med degree then join up, if you still want to.
    You could look into getting the RN involved in grants etc. With your good grades and obvious potential (I'm sure Kings don't offer places to numpties) the RN will be interested.
    Once you have your degree you can then do the hard bit and try the AACC (All Arms Commando Course.) :thumright: .
    Keep us informed of your plans.
    NZB

11. Who's orrifice and who want's to enter?

I miss Nursey - where is she when you need to drain off....?

12. Now stop CM! no nursey is going to drain anything except a boil on your bum! Sorry, that's the way it is, Pinta x

13. Bugger!...

14. you must have been to different hospitals than me, some of the nurses i've seen..

thanks guys i knew it was dumb, but i've had enough of studying cos i've been doing it for ages. Dunno why i want to try for it, family tradition i guess and another 5 years of exams didn't appeal...

15. You could possibly become a doctor in the RN/RM, look at the pay they get o_O

16. I know what you mean, some GPs make £250,000 but then u have to look at warts all day and listen to people moan about their colds. The Royal Marines appealed to me beacuse i wanted something challenging and exciting not sitting paper after paper.

17. Everyone is telling you to do the same thing and now so am I. Do the math 89 - this is a no-brainer!!

FCS get your MD and if you still want to join up, you can, but as an Officer who will get paid additional wedges for your particular skills.

SF

18. yeh u guys are right really, just i won't be asked to serve on the front if i've got an MD and that's where i'd like to be.

19. Tell that to Rick Jolly, but I can see what you mean.

20. 89 wrote: .... just i won't be asked to serve on the front if i've got an MD and that's where i'd like to be.

Not sure where you got that gem from mate - who do you think looks out for the boys and girls who get wounded? Pixies?

You'll get your chance, if not in this war - then the next.

SF