Can anybody tell me the main duties of an Officer to include their responsibilities? Or direct me somewhere I can read more on this? (not including specific roles e.g warfare, logistics etc.)

I have found a lot of information on the roles of a Divisional Officer but can't find much else with regards to Officer of the Day duties and any other roles?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Say what alfred says, carry on Chief/PO/Leader, then go for coffee/gin, depending on the time of day.:cool:

Points, hoist in the undeniable truth that a Naval Officer's life is all about gaining 'em in every situation,

Buy your sword from Geives well in advance of BRNC. After sharpening and giving it a good polish practice prodding the common sailorman in a threatening manner like every good DO.

Each Sword comes with a Free Wardroom Phrase Book, Janner has revealed Page One Number One.

Other examples include:
"What seems to be the trouble, Chief?"
Followed by "...and how long will it take to fix?

Armed with the Chief's estimate, double that time and report it to the Captain.

When Chief (always address them as 'Chiefy', they thrive on faux informality) fixes the snag in half the time you'd reported cut along to Captain and breathlessly report "Issue solved, Sir!"

Result? - Captain impressed and Points gained.

Beware of the dreaded SLJs, these gain nil points!! Someone else might kindly explain them & how to slope shoulders as they arise...

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Other examples include:
"What seems to be the trouble, Chief?"
Followed by "...and how long will it take to fix?

Armed with the Chief's estimate, double that time and report it to the Captain.

When Chief (always address them as 'Chiefy', they thrive on faux informality) fixes the snag in half the time you'd reported cut along to Captain and breathlessly report "Issue solved, Sir!"
Another great one to try (if you are a WEO or maybe even an MEO) is to ask in a clear and confident voice 'Chief, do you have a screwdriver I could borrow?'

The Chief may go directly to his toolbox and get one for you, but on no account hold your breath.
At various times I had a real Pusser's screwdriver with the tip ground off - officers for the use of. And a plastic screwdriver as stolen from a children's toolbox - officers for the use of.

Re 'and how long will it take to fix?' I had an old and bold Chief when I was a killick on the 992 section. When asked the question, he would reach behind the office door and bring out a beautiful 'magic wand', shiny copper handled and a large brass star, which he would silently wave at the 992 cab.

Perry

Lantern Swinger
I knew an MEA1 (clanky) who had a bag of chicken bones, he used to say "lets ask the bones" as he spread them on the deck.

digger84

War Hero
Can anybody tell me the main duties of an Officer to include their responsibilities? Or direct me somewhere I can read more on this? (not including specific roles e.g warfare, logistics etc.)

I have found a lot of information on the roles of a Divisional Officer but can't find much else with regards to Officer of the Day duties and any other roles?
Firstly to be a Good Divisional Officer to the people who's welfare and career prospects are in your hands.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The only tool any officer needs is a torch, no matter what the ambient lighting is like, shine the torch on the problem, nod knowingly, say "Mmmmm" and then "Carry on" and wander off.

Also be a member of the wardroom fire party which involves every officer turning up at the scene of the incident, when it's all over, armed with the torch and carry out the above procedure :)

^aye - Torch is essential for scuttling along to Captain & collecting your 10 Points with:

"Sir, Sir! I've just given it two coats of a good looking-at and it's definitely forked; so you'll jest heff to go beck in to chenge it."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S RFA Logistics Supply Officer - Day to day duties? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
T what are the main duties of a casing officer? Submariners 14
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer briefing on coronavirus (COVID-19): 21 September 2020 MoD News 0
A Intelligence officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
MoD_RSS HMRC appoints Chief Digital and Information Officer MoD News 0
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Cadet Deck officer college choices. RFA 9
J Intelligence Officer Lifestyle and Questions Joining the Royal Navy 3
P Officer academic requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Officer or Rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
Y Logistics Officer RFA 2
S Employment Opportunities and Qualifications for Warfare Intelligence Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S RN Diving Officer The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Richard Irvine appointed as UK’s Deputy Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for Asda Stores Limited MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for TJ Morris Limited MoD News 0
Z Logistics Officer Training RFA 4
CiviPilot Deferring University Entry Waiting for Officer Application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Publications Officer (Apprentice) MoD News 0
I marine engineering officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
I Officer Near Visual Acuity for Category 1 or 2 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Good routes for RNR GE Officer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS Charity Commission appoints Nick Baker as new Chief Operating Officer MoD News 0
C Warfare Intelligence Officer Joining the Royal Navy 2
C Application referred to senior medical officer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
D Information on RFA Cadet Officer (Deck) course RFA 6
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Investigation Support Officer, Southampton MoD News 0
T Systems Engineer Officer Training and Beyond RFA 2
MoD_RSS Magnox announces new Chief Operating Officer MoD News 0
F Possible Rejoin - SE Officer opportunities RFA 1
L Hydrographic and Meterology Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
C Weapons engineer Officer application (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 1
S Air Engineering Officer or Hydrographer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 47
L Joining as Officer but undecided, need helping choosing Joining the Royal Navy 25
MoD_RSS New Permanent Secretary at the Cabinet Office and Chief Operating Officer for the Civil Service MoD News 0
H Army JNCO to Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
P Join as a Rating or Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
K Officer Recruitment rejected because of GCSEs? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
R Officer entry, bad A levels but have a foundation degree Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
SeaBiscuit RFA Officer Cadet Interview and AIB RFA 1
T Officer Inreview Questions Pre-AIB Joining the Royal Navy 1
N Intelligence Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
K Qualifications required to become a Warfare Officer, i.e UCAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Chief Medical Officer for England announces four further coronavirus cases MoD News 0
S Medical reviewed by senior medical officer Joining the Royal Navy 2
D Warfare Officer AIB Feb 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS British Officer takes command of Gulf maritime security mission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Officer awarded first Chief Firearms Instructor’s coin MoD News 0