Officer Development Programme

Afternoon gents, a query for my fellow SCC (and potentially for the CCF) staff on the site. One of my cadets is looking at going Midshipman in the SCC and reading the outline for the ODP, one of the questions is "Why do you want to be an officer?"

Now in the RN, the reason I'd probably give would be as I'd want to be a leader of men and women or other such Bulls**t Baffles Brains.

The thing is though the unit I'm with has 2 CPO's (one is the 1Lt) and 2 Lt's (one whom is the CO), so they would be in just a general instructors billet same as myself as a CI and the A/PPO's and PO's in the unit, so being a leader or figure to look up to because of rank is a non-entity.

The SCC doesn't pay on rank as we all get the same volunteer pay, so that's not an answer, so the only other thing I could think of is getting access to the wardroom on a camp (having been in some of these in my day job, I'd rather be in the JR's accom to which these days I find to be better).

So, my question is, why did you or your oppos go officer?

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
Isn’t it more to do with the senior policy roles that then open up to SCC officers, such as the area/district positions? I would suggest it’s more to do with the individual’s aspirations rather than the pretty uninspiring ‘I like the Wardroom’ answer.

Isn’t it more to do with the senior policy roles that then open up to SCC officers, such as the area/district positions? I would suggest it’s more to do with the individual’s aspirations rather than the pretty uninspiring ‘I like the Wardroom’ answer.
Maybe, I don’t know, I know that if you make it to Lt Cdr and Cdr then yes, the positions will be area and district, but then the ASO for PT in my area is a CPO and the district training officer is a PO. I don’t know, to me I don’t see what the incentive is for a SCC PO to become a CPO is (in the RN I can- different drafts, the pay, the privileges afforded to rate, pensions etc). I just find that it can be a bit upside down in the cadets where a unit can have a Lt instructing, but the OIC is a PO or CPO. Maybe I’m just a little too bought into the chain of command and see rank as it’s military meaning and that’s it. I just couldn’t think of what to tell a cadet when they asked me what they should say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Afternoon gents, a query for my fellow SCC (and potentially for the CCF) staff on the site. One of my cadets is looking at going Midshipman in the SCC and reading the outline for the ODP, one of the questions is "Why do you want to be an officer?"

Now in the RN, the reason I'd probably give would be as I'd want to be a leader of men and women or other such Bulls**t Baffles Brains.

The thing is though the unit I'm with has 2 CPO's (one is the 1Lt) and 2 Lt's (one whom is the CO), so they would be in just a general instructors billet same as myself as a CI and the A/PPO's and PO's in the unit, so being a leader or figure to look up to because of rank is a non-entity.

The SCC doesn't pay on rank as we all get the same volunteer pay, so that's not an answer, so the only other thing I could think of is getting access to the wardroom on a camp (having been in some of these in my day job, I'd rather be in the JR's accom to which these days I find to be better).

As a SR in the cadet forces you have very little say in what goes on, as an officer you are deemed to be more influential as regards policy and guidance for volunteers of a lower rank or rate. At the end of the day we are all adult volunteers and should all be treated as equal, especially the older volunteers with no military experience, your actions in front of cadets needs to of the highest standards and when no cadets are around, you are all CFAVs with the same hobby. Save pomp and ceremony for in front of the cadets.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

What is this volunteer pay to which you refer?????? The reason I ask, I might have to spend a week down at Whale Island, but due to swanning off to Florida for three weeks next month, I am a little short on holidays from work, now the boss is a gud un, and will probably allow me time off unpaid (manpower allowing), but I cannot really afford to lose a weeks pay, especially after 3 weeks in Florida

The volunteer allowance you receive if doing something at area or national level.

Never been informed of that, only got travel on the last one I did, and that took an age to come through, and it went to the unit as an unidentified payment, left it in the unit funds.

Ahh ok, never knew that as I’ve not had any experience of the CCF I didn’t know if they operated the same rate structure as the SCC.

It's because the officers used to all be teachers with degrees, where as now they struggle to recruit from teaching staff. The SSI is generally an ex SNCO of one of the Armed forces, I was SSI, but badged as a wavy navy LT, I could have been SSI as CPO, but it's more fun going into the wardroom!

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk