Officer cadet in the RNR?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by TotalAlien, Aug 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    I am recently going to start attending my local RNR units TN's and was wondering if it is at all possible to become an officer cadet. I have recently failed my AIB with a score of 177 (for pilot) however and was wondering if the RNR can/will accomodate this?

Many thanks, TA
  2. Why not offer your services to the Sea cadets, they seem to have a lot of chancers in occifer rig?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Well I am already a civilian instructor with the air cadets and I know it is a great thing to do but quite frankly, I can't stand telling hyperglycaemic kids who have spent all day at school and just want to play to be quiet. The RNR seems to be able to give a lot more back as well, not to mention being paid, which for someone on civil service pay is not a bad thing! (though that is not the only reason). I was a crab officer cadet for 3 years and enjoyed it so much more!
  4. With an AIB pass you can make officer cadet in the RNR - though an AIB pass is not a guarantee of being accepted for training. I'm not aware of those joining without an AIB pass being able to take the AIB until they've completed Initial Naval Training.
  5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Its all a bit of a muddle in NE and seems to vary from year to year. Bottom line is that with an AIB pass then the world is your oyster. Without one and things get a lot more difficult. My advice is to spend time completing new entry, then focus on AIB in a year or so, depending on feedback from the board. Better to wait, iron out any difficulties and pass, than rush back and fail.
  6. Thanks for the advice. Oddly enough, I had a good enough score to pass for something like engineer officer, just not the branches that I chose. I was told to return in a years time so there is the possibility to do it again. I was told by someone at my unit that having a degree makes a difference in the RNR as to officer potential. can this be verified or is it B*****ks?
  7. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"I was told by someone at my unit that having a degree makes a difference in the RNR as to officer potential. can this be verified or is it B*****ks? "Utter rubbish!Degrees only matter in some areas, but not RNR general recruitment. In fact being an officer is not the be and end all - in my branch our requirement to deploy ratings is vastly higher than officers.
  8. Ok, cheers for the reply. It did seem like an odd thing to say to me at the time anyway. Do you find that many on the lower decks apply for commissions or will I potentially be among very few?
  9. It's not that huge numbers apply from the lower deck (the wardroom would get very full!), but enough do that of our JO group at the moment, more than half started as ratings and then went for AIB.

If you don't have an AIB pass yet, I'd suggest getting stuck in anyway; once you've seen how things play and who does what, if you still want to go for gold you'll have the opportunity, some support and advice, and more knowledge and experience to bring to the Board.