Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Officer at 17?

the_badger

Badgeman
slim said:
You have two years in the RN you are now a Sub Lt aged 19
Your task is to take a group of sailors on patrol and quell a small riot.
The party you are leading consists of
One CPO aged 45
One PO aged 35
One LH aged 37 (pissed off because by now he should be a PO)
Four ratings consisting of
One 17 year old on his first ship
Two 25 year old irresponsible men (the ships idiots)
One 30 year old mature sailor

What do you do?

Tell them all that it's a trip to the pub. Confess to the chief and ask for his help through it all, ie just ask the chief what to do. Make sure the lads get shore leave and a hoofing run ashore afterwards, and they'll still respect (like) you.

onlinebacon

Lantern Swinger
LMFAO

In my class I have a fat polish bird, who normally has toilet roll in her SCHOOL BAG

And another girl with what seems to be a fascination with parking lots?

Still interested?

I'll have to buy a wide lens to fit the toilet roll girl in though......

paracord

Midshipman
You should do your A levels, as to be honest if it is 22 years service you wish for, a one year wait won't stagnate you that much.
Also, you'll as fore said have a greater grounding in later civvy life when it turns to career paths.
I think waiting's your best albeit longer option.

Good luck! HAIY!!

paracord

Midshipman
slim said:
onlinebacon said:
Thats what I thought the problem would be, proving that I can lead people older and wiser than me.

Although, in the group tasks I do at college and on DoE I always end up being the leader, sorting out what people are doing, and like, co-ordinating them :)

So I'm right in thinking that the fact that people I may be leading could be 10 years my senior, would go against me?

The leadership task which you are currently been given probably involve those people of a similar age.
Now think.
One CPO aged 45
One PO aged 35

What do you do?

I'm not going for an Officer rank, but i'd personally act according to the people with me, their personalities and qualities, and find the two best for diffusing a situation using diplomacy foremost, and the presence of authority.
If i thought it wouldn't work upon first seeing the rioters, OR, after a brief few words with them, i'd use all man power with me to avert the rioters from civilians, depending on their number box them calmly in, and if the situation called for it, the use of force to subdue the rioters.
If force was needed, i would let the chain of command know.

Btw, my eval was based on a riot group of say 8, maybe 10.

I recently left my job as a bar doorman as i'm starting Raleigh November 4th, it has little similarity, but dealing with 30 lads arguing over footballat 2am, and having to stop it as it gets nasty teaches you a bit lol.
Peace out.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
OLB: How to succeed as an occifer - take another person's idea and make it seem like you thought of it in the first place... :wink:

OLB

Lots of good advice there, and some dodgy stuff, your first task to show your OLQs is to sort out the wheat from the chaff. It is good to be keen but no so good to be too keen. A year can seem a long time at your age but you will find it passes fast enough.

Slim's exercise may seem a trifle far fetched but mates of mine were at 19 commanding motor cutter patrols in Borneo, and another mate landed as 2IC the ships full riot platoon, some 30+ men (no lady sailors then) in a real situation, and I ended up one day in charge of the armed pier protecion party in Aden. The reality is that once you are in you may well find your ship just happens to be near some spot of bother that blows up and bingo you are in the thick of it.

Good luck, hope it works out your way.

wet_blobby said:
Taking geography may be your down fall, Ruperts by tradition are shite at map reading, even worse at wondering where they are. Can you please post photos of the chicks in your class......cheers.

Just because booty ruperts are piss poor with maps does no mean RN pigs are too. I never bumped into any land during my time, and always got home on time.

Ex_POAEA(R)

Midshipman
Although the Navy may seem like the Holy Grail to you now you will be surprised at how many people bail out after a relatively short time. I was a 22 yr man when I joined at 16 and by 26 I was out, luckily my Artificer Apprenticeship in Avionics stood me in good stead for going outside.

Out of my class of 16 Tiffs, I think there are two still in (we would be at the 17 year point if we stayed), one is an AEO and the other an Observer. Everyone else left fairly quickly.

I know lots of ex RN pilots and observers who really struggle to find a job upon leaving, pilots dont even leave with so much as a PPL never mind a CPL or ATPL (although things may have changed recently) and there is not much call for observers outside. Most ex obs I know are in ATC now.

There are many RN jobs which are no specific use to you outside although the generic skills you acquire are useful.

Finish your A levels at the very least, your career will no doubt span much beyond your RN service, even though at this point you think you will be 1SL.

slim

War Hero
The exercise that I put on the page has no right or wrong answer. It's nice to see how different people approach it though. Personally if I were a 19 year old Sub Lt I would take the Senior Rates to one side for a briefing, and pick their brains using their experience and suggestions to my advantage.
After a successful completion I think a couple of beers would be in order.

icantfly

Lantern Swinger
slim said:
The leadership task which you are currently been given probably involve those people of a similar age.
Now think.
One CPO aged 45
One PO aged 35

What do you do?

How about the 31 year old AB who should have been a LH five years ago and is pissed off and hates JOs?

Answer: tell the Chief what needs doing, then stand back, watch and learn..

boredwafu

Lantern Swinger
sara21 said:
boredwafu said:
sara21 said:
boredwafu said:
Potential_Officer said:
boredwafu said:
WTF??? Hope the no touching rule isn't being violated here!

Boredwafu you're just jealous!

If Sara is really 21 you bet I'm jealous, far too old to attempt to tap that!! Although it would be fun (and embarrasing) trying :thumright:

Sorry, I am 22 now....

Still hasn't closed the age gap anywhere near enough lol

Besides me and Nutty are nearly married and I am cheating on him with PO, adding another to my collection would just be...well...sleazy

haha, I can do sleazy...

DancesWithJPA

Lantern Swinger
If I were 16 and doing well academically but up for a career as an officer then I'd go down the sponsorship route. The RN will give you a few quid provided you join up once you've got your degree. As always on these things, it's best to have a chat in your local AFCO. No-one's going to kidnap you, they won't even take your name.

andym

War Hero
slim said:
Now think.
One CPO aged 45
One PO aged 35

What do you do?

"Carry On,Chief.I'll be in the Wardroom if you need me"

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
My serious advice would be that one should definitely complete A levels if at all possible and then try and get a degree through the Navy, or go for a degree and enter after Uni; but the Navy's money will be a great help and if you are dedicated to the career then the compulsory return of service won't worry you. The degree should be in a sensible subject that commands some sort of respect from future employers - many an anchor-faced twenty year old has discovered that the picture is different when they are a married 2 1/2.

Also take every opportunity to visit the Navy using the CCF or old boys of your school or whatever offers - even the odd day could be well spent when it comes to your AIB.

As for the riot exercise, make sure every member of your team understands the objective (which means you have to figure that out) and the Rules of Engagement, and that the team acts together - what the rioters would really like is to peel off one of your men as a hostage...

'No 1 marksman, one round at the man in the red shirt, go on.'

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Death of serving CNC police officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tom Cargill appointed as new Wilton Park Chief Executive Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mal Singh is to step down as BPDTS Ltd’s Chief Finance Officer MoD News 0
T Diving Officer Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Inspection Report Published: An inspection of the Home Office Presenting Officer function MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty on national alert levels MoD News 0
N Logistic officer UPO/Careers Office 8
K Officer leaving: how much notice? Finance & Pensions 10
R Logistics officer submariner questions Joining the Royal Navy 1
B Met officer questions UPO/Careers Office 16
LandScrubber Deck Officer courses? RFA 14
MoD_RSS Remarks delivered by H.E. Governor Nigel Dakin CMG, and Chief Medical Officer, Dr Nadia Astwood, at the national press conference on COVID vaccination MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from Chief Medical Officer, Professor Chris Whitty about new strain of Covid-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Medical Officer’s annual report outlines health challenges in England MoD News 0
N Chief Petty Officer Eric Cousins. Nearest & Dearest 2
C Warfare Officer Surface to Sub Joining the Royal Navy 2
R Engineering officer or engineering advanced apprenticeship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
L Engineering officer docked duties Submariners 4
jjake101 How do you choose between officer and rating roles? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Former prison officer jailed for longer MoD News 0
TechnicPR RN Police. Rating to officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
MoD_RSS Rich McHugh to take over as the new BPDTS Chief Executive Officer MoD News 0
S Joining Process - Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Finance and Procurement Officer MoD News 0
R What is the average day of a Warfare Officer (submarines) whilst on patrol? Submariners 3
MoD_RSS Puppy lovers should paws for thought to avoid being ‘Petfished’ this Christmas, warns Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Youngest ever officer rewarded for heroism at sea MoD News 0
R Air Traffic Control Officer The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam's Op-Ed MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2
T Waiting Time Warfare Officer Joining the Royal Navy 3
H Engineering Officer question RFA 6
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer briefing on coronavirus (COVID-19): 21 September 2020 MoD News 0
A Intelligence officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
MoD_RSS HMRC appoints Chief Digital and Information Officer MoD News 0
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Cadet Deck officer college choices. RFA 9
J Intelligence Officer Lifestyle and Questions Joining the Royal Navy 3
P Officer academic requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Officer or Rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
Y Logistics Officer RFA 2
S Employment Opportunities and Qualifications for Warfare Intelligence Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S RN Diving Officer The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Richard Irvine appointed as UK’s Deputy Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for Asda Stores Limited MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for TJ Morris Limited MoD News 0
Z Logistics Officer Training RFA 4