Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Officer at 17?

chieftiff

War Hero
boredwafu said:
Saxon said:
wrong! I imagine you decide you dont really fancy wasting an afternoon prattling about with some little riot, promptly find your nearest pub and bravely lead your heroic sailors into a fearsome piss up. :thanks:

Haha, Chief will buy, occifers don't carry cash :thumright:

It's funny but I always seem to realise I've left my wallet at home on these occasions, sometimes I just really need to go to the head (my bladder isn't as strong as it used to be! ^_^;

onlinebacon

Lantern Swinger
Oh i get it, so if i do what I need to do, and do it well, it would inspire the other guys to do what they need to do?

Lmao we could walk into the pub, and be like "Our ships have run out of fuel, and funnily enough, they run on beer, we demand you give us all your stock or there will be consequences (i.e walking away beerless, but we don't let them know that :p)"

boredwafu

Lantern Swinger
Something along those lines, we all have to learn somewhere, experience comes with time, respect is earned and there are very few natural born leaders but many that have learnt to lead effectively.

My tuppence worth, get the A levels and maybe even consider Uni sponsorship, but certainly the A levels.

Good luck

onlinebacon

Lantern Swinger
Cool.

I'm definitely going to get the A levels then, seeing as it's coming from pretty much *everyone* that it's a good idea :D

Means if all goes well I'll be an officer in 3 years (whoah that seems a long time away)

Thanks guys :)

James

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hello OLB,

Welcome to RR

Potential_Officer said:
You need full A-Levels, and 140 UCAS points,

Spot on- 140 points from 'A2 Levels' required. 'AS Levels' may be added if your grades are poor at A2, but AS UCAS points on their own are insufficient I'm afraid.

Good luck to you, if you're on for top grades at AS & have the pre-requisite 5 GCSE's A-C (including Maths & English), then I'd recommend you get in touch with you local AFCO, after you've received your AS results, with a view to getting the ball rolling & investigating whether sponsorship (University Cadetship or Bursary) is an option.

slim

War Hero
onlinebacon said:
Cool.

I'm definitely going to get the A levels then, seeing as it's coming from pretty much *everyone* that it's a good idea :D

Means if all goes well I'll be an officer in 3 years (whoah that seems a long time away)

James

Intelligence is not the only thing that the RN looks for in their potential officers.
Remember many are called few are chosen.

onlinebacon said:
Cool.

James

Not a good idea, a requirement!

At the moment for you, at AIB they are not looking for you to know exactly how to deal with that situation, leadership techniques are taught, and experience gained at BRNC and subsequent training. They are looking for the potential that you will be able to lead and pass the training.

Definately talk to your Armed Forces Careers Office (AFCO) and see where you can go from there, either do as I am doing and go in after finishing school, or go to University and get a degree, perhaps getting some of the Navy's Cash to help pay for it!
Best of luck and keep us updated.

Oh but the best piece of advice, before and during your Naval career, and I'm sure others will agree with this, get used to "Hurry up and wait!"

darkbluebloke

Midshipman
onlinebacon said:
Heh, guess it would be a good idea to stick em out then, considering you guys know how things work :D

My A level subjects should be alright, right, for being an officer?

It was 22 years ago, but I pulled out of my A levels and joined Dartmouth at 17 and a half. I was doing three A Levels - Maths Applied, Maths Pure and Physics. This choice of subjects was dull, uninspiring and very hard work. The teachers went on strike and I thought I would just get on and join. My original plan was to join as a GL Seaman Officer (Full Career warfare officer now - I think) hence I needed the A Levels, instead I joined as SL Aircrew (Short Career Aviator) with O Levels only.

Looking back, and knowing that I have done alright now, I can honestly say that fate played a part in my success. At Dartmouth I was immature and full of myself - how I got through I don't know, but I did. Dartmouth changed me - through my flying training I steadily became more adult and responsible. I was well looked after by those around me. I was a natural Observer, but I got through basic training and made it to the frontline. I haven't looked back. by the time I was 20 I was established on a helicopter squadron and loving every minite of the responsibility and lifestyle.

In essence, the sensible thing would be to do your A Levels, but with age on your side, in a few years your will be streets ahead of other officers of the same age who stayed on to do A Levels and degrees.

Go with your heart......

onlinebacon

Lantern Swinger
:D cool

I heard about the 6th form scholarships, going to my AFCO tomorrow =D to go and see what the lads n lasses down there have to say about things and then I should get like, 2 grand or something to stay in education :p

Not bad, could buy a cheap lil car in a couple of months and get insurance n tax which would be pretty cool.

Thanks for all the help guys, I REALLY appreciate it, it's cool to see that there's so many nice people in the navy already :p

Thankssss =D

And i shall be seeing you around the forums :p

James

boredwafu

Lantern Swinger
Potential_Officer said:
boredwafu said:
WTF??? Hope the no touching rule isn't being violated here!

Boredwafu you're just jealous!

If Sara is really 21 you bet I'm jealous, far too old to attempt to tap that!! Although it would be fun (and embarrasing) trying :thumright:

boredwafu

Lantern Swinger
sara21 said:
boredwafu said:
Potential_Officer said:
boredwafu said:

If Sara is really 21 you bet I'm jealous, far too old to attempt to tap that!! Although it would be fun (and embarrasing) trying :thumright:

Sorry, I am 22 now....

Still hasn't closed the age gap anywhere near enough lol

onlinebacon said:
:D cool

I heard about the 6th form scholarships, going to my AFCO tomorrow =D to go and see what the lads n lasses down there have to say about things and then I should get like, 2 grand or something to stay in education :p

Not bad, could buy a cheap lil car in a couple of months and get insurance n tax which would be pretty cool.

Thanks for all the help guys, I REALLY appreciate it, it's cool to see that there's so many nice people in the navy already :p

Thankssss =D

And i shall be seeing you around the forums :p

James

James, this may seem obvious but try and get as much Navy experience as possible, even going to say Portsmouth Historic Dockyard [and that awesome day(?) out that is Action Stations!], a Navy Days, or see if the AFCO could possibly arrange something, all that sort of thing, experience with the Navy will help you be much more confident that joining the Navy is for you, and that the AIB will see not only have you read up on it, you have gone out there and seen it.

I have one friend who got a trip on HMS Chatham!

sara21

Lantern Swinger
boredwafu said:
sara21 said:
boredwafu said:
Potential_Officer said:
boredwafu said:

Sorry, I am 22 now....

Still hasn't closed the age gap anywhere near enough lol

Besides me and Nutty are nearly married and I am cheating on him with PO, adding another to my collection would just be...well...sleazy

mikh

MIA
You do what any good junior officer and many senior officers do, you tell your senior rates what needs doing then listen VERY carefully to what they have to say

mikh said:
You do what any good junior officer and many senior officers do, you tell your senior rates what needs doing then listen VERY carefully to what they have to say

"Don't take your ipod!"

I bet a certain rating wished he had listened to that one!

Edited to correct you to your.

Taking geography may be your down fall, Ruperts by tradition are shite at map reading, even worse at wondering where they are. Can you please post photos of the chicks in your class......cheers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Death of serving CNC police officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tom Cargill appointed as new Wilton Park Chief Executive Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mal Singh is to step down as BPDTS Ltd’s Chief Finance Officer MoD News 0
T Diving Officer Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Inspection Report Published: An inspection of the Home Office Presenting Officer function MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty on national alert levels MoD News 0
N Logistic officer UPO/Careers Office 8
K Officer leaving: how much notice? Finance & Pensions 10
R Logistics officer submariner questions Joining the Royal Navy 1
B Met officer questions UPO/Careers Office 16
LandScrubber Deck Officer courses? RFA 14
MoD_RSS Remarks delivered by H.E. Governor Nigel Dakin CMG, and Chief Medical Officer, Dr Nadia Astwood, at the national press conference on COVID vaccination MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from Chief Medical Officer, Professor Chris Whitty about new strain of Covid-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Medical Officer’s annual report outlines health challenges in England MoD News 0
N Chief Petty Officer Eric Cousins. Nearest & Dearest 2
C Warfare Officer Surface to Sub Joining the Royal Navy 2
R Engineering officer or engineering advanced apprenticeship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
L Engineering officer docked duties Submariners 4
jjake101 How do you choose between officer and rating roles? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Former prison officer jailed for longer MoD News 0
TechnicPR RN Police. Rating to officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
MoD_RSS Rich McHugh to take over as the new BPDTS Chief Executive Officer MoD News 0
S Joining Process - Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Finance and Procurement Officer MoD News 0
R What is the average day of a Warfare Officer (submarines) whilst on patrol? Submariners 3
MoD_RSS Puppy lovers should paws for thought to avoid being ‘Petfished’ this Christmas, warns Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Youngest ever officer rewarded for heroism at sea MoD News 0
R Air Traffic Control Officer The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam's Op-Ed MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2
T Waiting Time Warfare Officer Joining the Royal Navy 3
H Engineering Officer question RFA 6
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer briefing on coronavirus (COVID-19): 21 September 2020 MoD News 0
A Intelligence officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
MoD_RSS HMRC appoints Chief Digital and Information Officer MoD News 0
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Cadet Deck officer college choices. RFA 9
J Intelligence Officer Lifestyle and Questions Joining the Royal Navy 3
P Officer academic requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Officer or Rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
Y Logistics Officer RFA 2
S Employment Opportunities and Qualifications for Warfare Intelligence Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S RN Diving Officer The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Richard Irvine appointed as UK’s Deputy Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for Asda Stores Limited MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for TJ Morris Limited MoD News 0
Z Logistics Officer Training RFA 4