Officer Application?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Rum&Rations, Apr 29, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay so like many others here, this is also my first post so be nice :)

Basically, the goal is Warfare Officer and I've done a few bits and bobs to get me on my way. In December I spoke to a careers advisor, who advised me to perhaps start the process in August. (I get my exam results here).

To give a little background I'm in year 12, and need 180 UCAS points.

Now Im just curious about whether I should actually start in August? I mean I would love to, but I believe the careers advisor thinks I'm gonna be getting 3 A's in AS, which for me is impossible let alone worth a try.

So will this matter? Or should I just wait to apply when I have my actual grades? Will give me more time to prepare also I guess?

Thanks #1

2. I applied before I had my GCSEs - if you pass the AIB they'll just wait to confirm your academic results.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's probably worth adding that although you would be wise to start your application in August(ish), your ACLO will be expecting you to complete A2s before entry. As Alf states, if you are good enough, you could earn a scholarship (£1500) and a reserved place - subject to getting at least 3 grade D at A2 before joining September 2017, or later if going to uni.

4. Hmmm so in honest opinion should I conecentrate more on exams for now? Or should I do 50/50? And still apply this year?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Depends when you want to join. I'd always advise applicants to apply before they leave education or employment so that they have time to address any areas which have shortcomings. Hopefully they pass everything, so they have a job lined-up, waiting for them

If they do not successfully complete selection, the individual can embark upon a gainful career direction rather than find themselves out of education, out of work, thoroughly disillusioned and disappointed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Well thank you anyway. I think I'll apply this year, maybe not in August perhaps nearer December. Yeah I'll make it a year from when I last went.