Officer Applicant Questionaire (OAQ) questions

Hello all,

After a thorough google search I know this topic has been discussed a lot on here but I can’t find the answers to my questions.

To what degree does your OAQ effect your chances of a Sift interview? I am relatively confident I can put myself across well, answering the questions they give, but do i have to really impress on the OAQ with loads of info, examples and impressive tales or is it just brief descriptions of times you’ve shown each characteristic?

What time frame should I get it back to the AFCO in? My Psychometric test is in early Jan, do I need to get it in way before then (especially due to Christmas approaching) or can I take my time?

Finally, should I just write my answers in the boxes, or should I type them up by editing the file?

Cheers all.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The career discussion is pretty much focused on the content of what you write, or don't write on the OAQ.

My tip? Complete it digitally rather than use the schoolboy ploy of writing in a large, potentially illegible font. Have second and third answers to examples requested, keep them up your sleeve for the talkie bit.

Catan

It depends who your ACLO is...
I filled in my OAQ, but was never asked for it at all. My ACLO specifically said he didn't want to see it, as it might bias him when having the sift interview (he wanted to look at candidates with 'fresh eyes'). Which also wasn't a formal interview at all, more of a friendly chat. They now call it a 'career discussion', and is nothing to stress about. AIB on the other hand...

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It depends who your ACLO is...
I filled in my OAQ, but was never asked for it at all. My ACLO specifically said he didn't want to see it, as it might bias him when having the sift interview (he wanted to look at candidates with 'fresh eyes'). Which also wasn't a formal interview at all, more of a friendly chat. They now call it a 'career discussion', and is nothing to stress about. AIB on the other hand...
I'd suggest your ACLO didn't follow the brief and is probably the exception rather than the rule.

Which AFCO?