Officer academic requirements

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to join the navy soon, and I would like to join as an officer if I can.
My question is this... Would an Access Diploma in Humanities be enough to allow me to enlist as an officer?
Upon completion of the course, I will have an A Level equivalent in History and English Literature, and will be entitled to then move on to university education.
I am worried that perhaps I will need to try and change to a more scientific course before September if I can. I am 28 years old, in case that matters.
My recruiter was not sure. Do any of you know?
Apologies if this is in the wrong place or has been answered elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.

soleil

War Hero
PDV

I've just looked at BR3, which includes coverage of the question of UCAS Equivalents.

It lists a few specific qualifications, the ones which are actually most likely to be offered to fulfil the UCAS Point Requirement (Irish Leaving Certificate, European Baccalaureate (EB), International Baccalaureate (IB), BTEC Certificate and BTEC Diploma) but adds the following:

Equivalencies for all other qualifications must be referred to CNR OES (Captain Naval Recruiting Officer Entry Section).

One of the RN Careers Advisors at your local AFCO should be able to help you further with this. Make sure that you provide him/her with copies of your certificates, details of the course content and information on any other qualifications which you hold. He/she can then contact CNR OES.

GreenGiant

The Royal Navy have recently updated their requirements to enlist at any officer role.

You will need to meet the requirement of:

72 UCAS points, from results at a grade D or above.
5 GCSE's, including English and Maths both at B grade or above.

D108

Midshipman
The Royal Navy have recently updated their requirements to enlist at any officer role.

You will need to meet the requirement of:

72 UCAS points, from results at a grade D or above.
5 GCSE's, including English and Maths both at B grade or above.
I think they’re going to have to update them again then as GCSE’s are graded by numbers now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GreenGiant

I think they’re going to have to update them again then as GCSE’s are graded by numbers now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes. It would be grade B for people who finished before September 2015 I believe, and a grade 6 for anyone who finished afterwards.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies, guys.
I spoke with a WO today when he rang to give me my psychometric results and he is going to make enquiries about the course I am on and whether it will suffice.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer briefing on coronavirus (COVID-19): 21 September 2020 MoD News 0
A Intelligence officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
MoD_RSS HMRC appoints Chief Digital and Information Officer MoD News 0
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Cadet Deck officer college choices. RFA 9
J Intelligence Officer Lifestyle and Questions Joining the Royal Navy 3
T Officer or Rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
Y Logistics Officer RFA 2
S Employment Opportunities and Qualifications for Warfare Intelligence Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S RN Diving Officer The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Richard Irvine appointed as UK’s Deputy Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for Asda Stores Limited MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the Code Compliance Officer for TJ Morris Limited MoD News 0
Z Logistics Officer Training RFA 4
CiviPilot Deferring University Entry Waiting for Officer Application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Publications Officer (Apprentice) MoD News 0
I marine engineering officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
I Officer Near Visual Acuity for Category 1 or 2 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Good routes for RNR GE Officer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS Charity Commission appoints Nick Baker as new Chief Operating Officer MoD News 0
C Warfare Intelligence Officer Joining the Royal Navy 2
C Application referred to senior medical officer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
D Information on RFA Cadet Officer (Deck) course RFA 6
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Investigation Support Officer, Southampton MoD News 0
T Systems Engineer Officer Training and Beyond RFA 2
MoD_RSS Magnox announces new Chief Operating Officer MoD News 0
F Possible Rejoin - SE Officer opportunities RFA 1
L Hydrographic and Meterology Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
C Weapons engineer Officer application (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 1
S Air Engineering Officer or Hydrographer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 47
L Joining as Officer but undecided, need helping choosing Joining the Royal Navy 25
MoD_RSS New Permanent Secretary at the Cabinet Office and Chief Operating Officer for the Civil Service MoD News 0
H Army JNCO to Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
P Join as a Rating or Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
K Officer Recruitment rejected because of GCSEs? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
R Officer entry, bad A levels but have a foundation degree Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
SeaBiscuit RFA Officer Cadet Interview and AIB RFA 1
T Officer Inreview Questions Pre-AIB Joining the Royal Navy 1
N Intelligence Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
K Qualifications required to become a Warfare Officer, i.e UCAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Chief Medical Officer for England announces four further coronavirus cases MoD News 0
S Medical reviewed by senior medical officer Joining the Royal Navy 2
D Warfare Officer AIB Feb 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS British Officer takes command of Gulf maritime security mission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Officer awarded first Chief Firearms Instructor’s coin MoD News 0
B RN Officer RT Tests Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Spiced Buoy Leadership oppertunities before joining as officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
T Advice on officer or rating please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15