Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offered role as AET - Opportunities to travel

John_RN

Hello,

Last week I was given my start date (April 2015) to begin my career as an AET in RN, which I'm very happy about. However, I do have a few concerns about the kind of travel opportunities, or lack of, that this particular role brings to the table. I have seen on other posts that AET's quite notoriously have very little sea time and was wondering if they still get to travel much to other countries in an onshore capacity?
I don't mind how I travel (sea or ashore) but I would like the opportunities as frequently as possible.
I apologise if this has been touched on before but many of the existing threads seemed quite dated or only mentioned 'sea time', my primary reason for joining is the travel opportunities and would hate to miss out!

Thanks!

I spent more time detached than embarked. I travelled all over Europe, America and the Far East.

Including two trips to the Stan

If you get on the JSF squadrons you will travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slim

War Hero
You have been offered a position in Gods chosen branch and you have to think about it?:(
Wafus are at the top of the tree, just above submariners:D
You will get great training and when you eventually leave can transfer your skills to many engineering disciplines not just aviation:)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
One thing to bear in mind is if you are drafted to a ship or your squadron is on a ship, you don't pay food and accommodation charges. If you are living on an air station, you will pay for food and accommodation.

John_RN

Thanks for that guys! Can't wait to get started and I'm so happy for the opportunity! I guess it's the same as most things in life, it is what you make it! Thanks again! :)

One thing to bear in mind is if you are drafted to a ship or your squadron is on a ship, you don't pay food and accommodation charges. If you are living on an air station, you will pay for food and accommodation.

Do you pay food charges on a ship along side at home port? Accom is free.

The squadron is not normally embarked when along side in the UK.

Plus you get "off air station Pay when at sea", don't tell them nasty fisheads though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Offered Alternative Role/Department? RFA 1
D I have been offered the CIS Role Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Targeted testing to be offered to children in north east London, Kent and Essex MoD News 0
MoD_RSS All students offered testing on return to university MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Record numbers offered flu vaccine as those with flu and COVID-19 more likely to die MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Half of all private and voluntary sector fostering placements offered by just 6 companies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thousands of children offered nutritious breakfasts during summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Virtual Events remain for now; greater flexibility of events to be offered in future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thousands to be offered repeat testing in care homes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over £1 million offered in compensation to the Windrush generation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19 tests offered to every care home for elderly or those with dementia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Payment Holidays offered to Help to Buy homeowners affected by Covid-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterans offered second career in Defence Science MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Every child in England to be offered cycle training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 25 million to be offered free NHS flu jab this winter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Roadside recovery industry offered ‘smart’ training by Highways England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Same-day pharmacy consultations offered to patients MoD News 0
P Advice wanted: Offered Observer but always had Pilot as my first choice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
MoD_RSS News story: Cyprus RAF base offered in support of French MoD News 0
P Been offered ETWE Boats... Need advice! Submariners 22
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy warship offered to Mediterranean anti-smuggling mission MoD News 0
S Went for officer got offered rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
C Passing PRMC/POC, and not being offered a place. The Corps 0
angry_mac Ok, if offered would you take it! The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 64
Ageing_Gracefully Job offered by Book Publisher The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
soleil BBC: "Olympic Tickets Offered To UK Armed Forces Members" Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Flightglobal: "Royal Navy Offered AEW-configured AW101" The Fleet Air Arm 10
Naval_Gazer Mobility scooter offered to ex-servicemen Motoring 1
A Offered Copy of "Notes on the handling of Type 14 frigates" History 10
trelawney126 Leaked e-mail. Afghanistan Deployment Helicopters Offered Current Affairs 1
R Fail officers AIB what would you then be offered???? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
N Police being offered danger Money ! Current Affairs 17
creddly Muslim prisoners offered ham sandwiches sue for millions The Gash Barge 31
M Can't find medical questionnaire and im debating my role Joining the Royal Navy 8
J Conflicted about which role to join as Joining the Royal Navy 45
MoD_RSS GAD's role in the Balance Sheet Review Report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GAD's role in pensions consultation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The UK’s role in defending media freedom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK to play critical role in building 'the Claw' - the first ever satellite to remove space junk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The pivotal role of finance in tackling climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vaccines trials in Chile and the UK’s role to tackle the pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Christine Tacon marks final week in role as GCA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GIAA Tailored Review seals its essential role across Government MoD News 0
C Medical Assistant Role Joining the Royal Navy 5
T Changing Role after fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS My role at the 2019 youth justice convention MoD News 0
K Role application questions RFA 1
MoD_RSS GAD’s key role in pensions consultation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England traffic officers prove a real role 'model' for 10-year-old Toby MoD News 0
MoD_RSS External quality assurance of apprenticeships - expanded role for Ofqual confirmed MoD News 0