Offensive to who? No Muslim has complained!

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by spider_monkey, Mar 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This evening I came across a news story relating to Honley C of E Primary School, Huddersfield. The story, on ITV digital TV text, related to the school music festival and their adaptation of Roald Dahl's 'little Red Riding Hood'...fantastic I thought; a cracking night out for all to enjoy, but this emotion soon dissolved. The reason for this was the fact that the school had decided to change the 'three little pigs' phase of the play in order to avoid offending Muslims in the audience - this portion of the performance would be given a new slant - 'three little puppies'!

Is it wrong to feel pi55ed off when stories like this surface? Am I in the minority when items like this really grip my sh1t?

I try to see issues like this from both sides, but when this play was to be performed in a C of E school this is difficult. Let me clarify why: If I sent my children to a school which based it’s curriculum on their culture and religion I would not feel it appropriate for them to change items simply to avoid offence…perhaps. I would rather they produce a transparent schedule of entertainment and then left the decision reference attending to me. If, later, I felt the content of the children’s entertainment to be below par I would then complain.

Once again this is a case of the tail wagging the dog in a PC obsessed culture :!: :sad:

2. I bet you would find that a vast majority of Muslims in this country either couldn't give a dolphins fart, or are quite happy with the story as it stands in its original form.
    The problem tends to lie with the "do-gooders" who like to think for the rest of us mate, and think they are speaking for the "small person" or "the oppressed minority" when in truth all they are doing is stirring up racial/religious tension where none existed before.
    Sad really that they get away with it, because people are too afraid to speak out for fear of being branded racist or a zealot.

3. Afraid I would have been knocking on doors matey. I keep watching Red Riding Hood hoping the Wolf comes out tops!!! I love sad endings!!

Seriously I would have demanded to ask to see those in charge and ask who complained. Probably some silly child just out of UNI.

4. I fail to see how any Muslim or Jew could be offended by this?

It is not saying that either religion is wrong and is merely personifying animals, as far as I am aware neither forbids that, just because they do not eat pigs does not mean that seeing them in a play will offend them. The people who come up with this rubbish know nothing about religion!

5. Well I`m offended that they changed it. What about me, can I a white heterosexual male not be offended.

6. Bloody Hell Lamri, we agree on something!

Of course were they really being religiously sensitive they would have taken the trouble to determine which Islamic sect they belonged to, as some Sunni (eg Wahabbism) and Shia sects oppose any portrayal of any animal! Then there's the issue of the status of music in Islam.......

7. Being a heterosexual male is OK. Not sure about the other word you used, before heterosexual, though :???: :twisted: :lol:

8. We don,t count!'

9. True,so true...we only count when they want our taxes

10. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

"three little Puppies" The friggin koreans eat puppies, are they not offended? or do they not register high enough up the PC ladder.

The PC brigade continues to ruin this country, little miss blobby came back from school last week and during a chat that went along the lines of "how was your day, what did you do at school then" it transpired she learnt about religion, she could tell me about Muslims, Hindus etc but when I asked "so what does COE stand for" she replied, "dont know, I know DOE stands for Duke of Edinburgh Awards".........I despair

11. had a good one near us last Christmas (sorry is that PC?) a certain council baned "Christams lightghts" they had to be called "Winter festival lights" - thing wos the local Muslim group said "nobody asked us if we were offended - we are not - we actually send Christams cards to our friends"
    the only people that seam to offended are "IRATE OF MIDDLE ENGLAND"
    Why can't people just leave things alone, and stop interfering and causing proplems where they don't exist !

12. Piglet, think the "Winterval" lights was Birmingham a few years ago & had been debunked in another thread as another piece of Daily Mail mischief.
    Has there been another one last xmas (sorry winter holidays) ?

13. The piggies have fought back and are to be reinstated. The do-gooder-in-charge admitted his mistake on the Light programme tis morning.

14. If you're right Chris, thank god for common sense (can I thank god or is that Politically Incorrect ? !!!!! )

What a pillock in the first place for making such a stupid decision.

15. Ther have always been from the beginings of time people who have got into positions of authority who should in reality have been killed at birth :sad:

16. I posted this reponse on the "Obituary of Common Sense" thread on Diamond Lils

Good to hear on the news this morning that the council in Huddersfield had made an about turn on the decision to ban kids performing "Three Little Pigs" in case the muslims are offended.

Quote from Philip Davies Tory MP," It is done in the name of ethnic minorities, but is perpetrated by white, middle class do-gooders with a guilt complex and far too much time on their hands"

An elected representative finally standing up and saying what we all think, that'll be him in the shit then.................. :oops:

17. In simple terms - NO you cant

Your the wrong sex/religion/nationality and didnt you realise that you have no human rights either ?

18. Ther have always been from the beginings of time people who have got into positions of authority who should in reality have been killed at birth :sad:[/quote]

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

I could not agree more.