Off to Ghana...cause it's not hot enough here!

Thanks Soleil that would be really helpful. I'm flying into Accra then going to Twifo Praso primarily, and visiting a national park in the north of the country. I'm out there for a couple of weeks. Can you also ask if it's possible to buy currency in the UK or if it can only be purchased in Ghana? :)
MB

When I was having dinner with Portia yesterday, I told her about you and she was keen to help.

She recommended exchanging roughly £40 into the Ghanaian Cedi at the airport (Kotoka/Accra) on arrival, to cover your immediate needs then seeking out a Bureau de Change later which offers the best rate.

Something she told me is that you should be careful about getting a taxi at the airport, as unscrupulous drivers hang around at the door to the terminal. She said that you should ask one of the uniformed airport staff for guidance as to where to get the right sort of taxi.

She's keen to offer as much advice as possible and asked me where you were staying in Accra, so that she can check how much you should be paying for a taxi.

Are you going with a group, by the way, or on your own?

Oh and she told me about a shopping mall in Accra where you can pick up anything you might want to buy before leaving Accra.

PS You've got your visa, haven't you?

Last edited:

MaiBelle

Lantern Swinger
Soleil thanks for having a chat with your friend - it looks like the trip's been postponed till January sadly but the advice is appreciated. I thought that might be the case with the currency and as it's mostly all inc I shouldn't need to carry much (only what I can stuff into bras and socks without looking suspicious). Transport from the airport should all be sorted out by the organiser but in the event of having to use taxi's I'll check with the airport staff first. The visa's being sorted out as a group by the organiser so that will be taken care of.

I'll pop onto Amazon re the book. I have one by a different publisher but Lonely Planet are the best I think for layout/up to date advice etc. :)

Top tip. Baby wipes, or cottonelle. Both if poss. Baby wipes are great for a submariners dhoby if you are out in de jungle/savannah where water is at a premium and full of bacteria, and you are glowing like a glassblowers crack.
I like these little fellas for portability, plus you can stash one in a pocket for the plane ride where the bum paper is useless/ greaseproof paper.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cottonelle-flushable-moist-wipes-single/dp/B002CNPPXK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_by_2

When you are shooting hot brown rusty wee out of your ringbolt, the cooling feel of a nice bumwipe is soo worth it. Plus, even if you manage to stay somewhat continent, they shift more tagnuts and take up less space/weight than regular bumwad. I also hear from the ladies they are superior for cleanup on shark week, if that is a factor.

MaiBelle

Lantern Swinger
Top tip. Baby wipes, or cottonelle. Both if poss. Baby wipes are great for a submariners dhoby if you are out in de jungle/savannah where water is at a premium and full of bacteria, and you are glowing like a glassblowers crack.
I like these little fellas for portability, plus you can stash one in a pocket for the plane ride where the bum paper is useless/ greaseproof paper.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cottonelle-flushable-moist-wipes-single/dp/B002CNPPXK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_by_2

When you are shooting hot brown rusty wee out of your ringbolt, the cooling feel of a nice bumwipe is soo worth it. Plus, even if you manage to stay somewhat continent, they shift more tagnuts and take up less space/weight than regular bumwad. I also hear from the ladies they are superior for cleanup on shark week, if that is a factor.
Have a like - you should be in wetwipe marketing with a pitch like that

If you think you might be camping rough you might want a water filter like the reverse osmosis type we use in liferafts, but they are not cheap and unless you are really off the beaten track probably way overkill.
Katadyn Vario Camping Water Filter System 8014931
Amazon.com: Katadyn Survivor 06 Desalinator: Sports & Outdoors

I think those UV pens are borderline useless and they cost almost as much as a proper filter/pump. Where you are going there will plenty of UV, leave a clear bottle in the sun for 2hrs and it kills 99% of the bacteria for you. (Wont do much for filtration though, and it will be as warm as fresh p1ss)

I like the MSR system MSR SweetWater Water Purifier System - Free Shipping at REI.com

And the in bottle filters allow you to filter the semi dodgy water without looking too conspicous.
Katadyn MyBottle Water Purifier - Free Shipping at REI.com

Sounds like you've got time to research or buy, and Soleil gave you a local contact who can tell you if any of this crap is even necessary.

MaiBelle

Lantern Swinger
TBH I would go with factor 50... sounds like a buzzkill but not as bad as full thickness burns to the nose /ears /shoulders...
Yep I will be piling on the suncream as I burn easily. As for the filtration systems, the bottle based one is exactly what I was thinking of so I'll add it to my list. Least if I'm unsure I can pour it in there and run it through the filter...probably a sensible precaution with any water anyway.

As for the filtration systems, the bottle based one is exactly what I was thinking of so I'll add it to my list. Least if I'm unsure I can pour it in there and run it through the filter...probably a sensible precaution with any water anyway.
Yep, they are handy cos you have a bottle you can use even if you dont insert the filter, and if you're not quite sure of the provenance of the bottled water it at least filters out the giardia and so on. The other stuff is a bit Bear Grylls, but if you are camping in the backcountry in small groups that may get a bit lost they are nice to have along.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R094V1-George Miscellaneous 0
J Miscellaneous 0
ex_wasp_L2 Blue Jokes 0