Occasional use of eye drops

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by matt277, May 22, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is the occasional use of lubricating eye drops for occasional dry eye in one eye. Liable to be a bar to joining the navy?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you are reliant on prescribed medication it can be an issue but the underlying cause for the dry eye may be an issue in itself. If it's a blocked tear duct, then maybe it's worth investigating whether it can be sorted.

Ultimately you shouldn't let it put you off applying, but it may require further investigation before you can be passed fit to enter.

Good luck.

3. Thanks, not prescribed medication just over the counter eye drops. When would this come to light in my application?

4. Ninja_Stoker

The medical is after the interview & before the fitness test.

5. Is there any thing in the list of bared conditions about dry eye?

6. Ninja_Stoker

The medical standards cannot cover all individual issues, but the things you need to think about are the unique service environments a sailor is expected to serve within.

In a Chemical, Biological or Nuclear environment, exercise or real, you could be required to wear a respirator facemask for several hours. Similarly, during firefighting operations you could be wearing breathing apparatus for prolonged periods.

7. So may bar me?

8. Ninja_Stoker

I honestly couldn't say but you have to be honest with yourself and think whether you could cope unhindered if you had dry eyes but couldn't use drops.

9. Could I say "Dry your eyes Princess" without getting a reprimand? Sorry no personal slight just a Pussers tag line. I wish the OP all the best.