Observer or WSO

Mothball

I am very interested in joing either the RAF or RN, in the field of helicopter navigation, but what is the better route, being an observer in the FAA or a WSO in the RAF. If possbile No bias!

The Crabs don't train Navs for helicopters any more. Being a bus service they just let the Pilot in the left hand seat read the map.
Observers are responsible for a whole range of issues other than just the aircrafts navigation, locating and identifying targets of interest for starters.

MarkDip

Why dont you go to your careers office and get yourself to RNAS Culdrose and visit the Squadrons to find out what an Observer does. The careers office are supposed to organise this sort of thing.

SailbadTheSinner

Lantern Swinger
RougeGuineaPig said:
The Crabs don't train Navs for helicopters any more. Being a bus service they just let the Pilot in the left hand seat read the map.
Observers are responsible for a whole range of issues other than just the aircrafts navigation, locating and identifying targets of interest for starters.
Plus you can train as a fighter controller on AEW sea kings, which is another dimension

junglynx

Midshipman
The crabs will probably fcuk you off at the high port if you request to join them for anything other than single seat fast jet.

It's 'cos they're tossers.

You'd have to go and buy some white socks and shiny polyester suits as well so you could fit into their mess...

purpleronnie

Midshipman
Depends what you want out of life. The RAF future is Eurofighter and JCA, neither of which has a second seat. So unless you fancy Nimrods, or Transport aircraft, you will not get to fly fast anything. The FAA can offer a variety of rotary wing, but again, no fast movers.

If you want to fly, and you don't care what, then the question you have to answer becomes "how much time do I want to spend away from home?". If the answer is not very much, join the RAF. Otherwise, join the best, like what I did :)

rangeblind

Midshipman
As an Obs you are much more involved in the aircraft systems and the mission - regardless of type (ASaC Merlin Lynx) if it shakes your boat plenty of LHS time as well. My experience of AF NAVs (WSO) is that they are referred to as “positional consultants†by pilots.
Always Fly Navy (Unless it has four engines and is taking you home from Basra) :lol:

flynavy

Lantern Swinger
purpleronnie said:
Depends what you want out of life. The RAF future is Eurofighter and JCA, neither of which has a second seat.

ikonboard.cgi

the 8th and 9th picture onwards quite clearly show a second seat unless its a nodding dog!

Latest Threads