Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Observer: "Bullying In Armed Forces On Rise, MoD Figures Reveal"

Yes - 'mainly'.

Racism, when it occurs, clearly needs to be addressed. The issue being approached in this report is sexual abuse.

Last edited:
Bandy_E.

A certain amount of "bullying" is to be expected in the armed forces, it sorts out the morally weak from those who belong and at best pulls the ******* towards the light. Outright abuse is a definite no, no, though.

I'd say that was spot on.Also, there was a Pongo L Cpl on the wireless (R4) the other morning who made a good point. He reckoned that there is a greater readiness and freedom to report "bullying" now. The grip point is what's "bullying" against motivation, discipline and cohesion?

Last edited:
I can see all sides and feel that Bullying/abuse is wrong. that because i have seen the detrimental effects in friends of mine have suffered one tried to take her own life. often the female who reports the issues faces ridicule when they report the offence.

But when a report is made is should be treated has serious. not juts swept under the carpets.

Back in the days when the sun always shone and nobody locked their front doors, as a Junior rating there were a few attempts to bully me in the "Your the sprog you take the shite" mode. Yeah right. I do not claim to be hard. It seems to be my lot in life to see off those who think they are. I was gifted with fast right hand that Rocky Graziarno would have envied. Two senior rates hit me a P.O.TASI and a killick seaman They never tried a second time. My main strength' is even today well into my 75th year,is that I was,and am so fatally easy to underestimate.

Back in the days when the sun always shone and nobody locked their front doors, as a Junior rating there were a few attempts to bully me in the "Your the sprog you take the shite" mode. Yeah right. I do not claim to be hard. It seems to be my lot in life to see off those who think they are. I was gifted with fast right hand that Rocky Graziarno would have envied. Two senior rates hit me a P.O.TASI and a killick seaman They never tried a second time. My main strength' is even today well into my 75th year,is that I was,and am so fatally easy to underestimate.

Summary, "I do not claim to be hard but I am as hard as nails."

Wow! Best keep clear of you then jesse.

I never came across any instances of what I understand to be bullying during my service.

Last edited:
I came across two, at RM depot, Deal.
The first was when a CPOMA gave an LMA a falsely bad assessment. The hooky wasn't likeable but he was very good at his job. I warned the Chief that his assessment was wrong, based on personality and that should it be challenged and I was asked to give my opinion I wouldn't be able to support him, the MO ditto.

The second was a Jr Marine recruit who while on the Kingsdown range was shaking so much from the cold that his aim was all over the shop. One of the troop's corporal instructors made him stand over a fire to "get warm". When he felt he was getting too hot and tried to move away the corporal made him go back and stand over the fire.
Later, the lad came to the infirmary asking for some ointment for an "itchy fork" but was loath to strip and be examined. Nevertheless I made him strip and discovered first degree burns from inside his knees to scrotum. I reported it to the MO and he to the base commandant.
By the following afternoon the Corporal had been busted and drafted, with a recommendation that he never be involved in training recruits thereafter.

What would the average civvy make of milling? Back in the 70s Jnr Marine troops would routinely muster in the infirmary gardens where one junior would be pitted against another and be expected to beat the crap out of each other.

What would the average civvy make of milling? Back in the 70s Jnr Marine troops would routinely muster in the infirmary gardens where one junior would be pitted against another and be expected to beat the crap out of each other.

Thats been going on since Roman times.....thats how they got their entertainment.....
its more civilised now....we put them on tele, compete against each other...then some 'bully' reduces them to tears...
....and its call 'reality'....so bullying is, in reality....reality......know wot I mean....innit ! :nod:

Thats been going on since Roman times.....thats how they got their entertainment.....
its more civilised now....we put them on tele, compete against each other...then some 'bully' reduces them to tears...
....and its call 'reality'....so bullying is, in reality....reality......know wot I mean....innit ! :nod:

It's also a way of "toughening up" and inculcating the aggression needed for an elite force to be effective. So, too, it is a way of formalising the establishment of a "pecking order" by using an authority approved method that actually short circuits unregulated bullying.

It's also a way of "toughening up" and inculcating the aggression needed for an elite force to be effective. So, too, it is a way of formalising the establishment of a "pecking order" by using an authority approved method that actually short circuits unregulated bullying.

Thats what I meant....I think ! :scratch:

Latest Threads