Obama's Iraq speech

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by flymo, Feb 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just watched this on TV. Normally I am a bit of a lurker on these pages but this time I'm going to stick my head over the parapet.

Rant <ON>

After watching this powerful speech I see that:
    There will be an increase in US service pay (you listening Gordon Brown? No, I didn't think so. No change there then.)
    Better care for the returning troops (think PSTD)
    Better care for service families
    Admission that the war was about regime change (You listening Tony Blair? You lying, "WMD", little two faced f_ckface. I hope you get impeached for lying to Parliament. "Peace ambassador"....)

Rant <OFF>
    That's better, I feel cleansed.

On a happier note, I see that the Bulwark and a couple of T23s have popped into Valetta. If the little strimmer is feeling better I may take him to see them and explain that we are now in Malta on the back of our visit in '87 and recall (just) being drunk 3 days out of 4 (thank god I was duty - sleeeeeep). Mind you, he is 17 months so I may just get a "ga" in response.

Waiting for the cars to arrive and chaps in dark glasses to take me away because I have slagged off New Labour ....
  2. I also listened to his speech, he is a great orator and the bit that interested me was the re focusing on Afghansitan and Pakistan. I like what I have seen so far he is like a breath of fresh air after that buffoon Bush.
  3. The emphasis was on Combat troops...they are there, and staying there.....Standby world
  4. For once i wholeheartedly agree with you Fink.

BZ Mr Obama
  5. Think he will last until summer?
  6. Think he will last until summer?
  7. Wee Georgie a buffoon - shurely not!!!

Patrick Cockburn had a good article today in the Independent. One sentence in particular caught my eye - The lesson, which applies to nowhere more than Afghanistan, is that societies with weak state structures devise lethally effective ways of defending themselves.

Linky - http://www.independent.co.uk/opinio...e-treating-afghanistan-like-iraq-1632281.html

Unfortunately the British have a deal more bleeding to do.

8. 4to8, Hope so. Hope so.
  9. Even Mrs Flymo likes him. A great orator we agree - let us just hope that he can deliver (and last past the summer...)
  10. Are the US troops in Japan Combat troops? They have stayed a little while there....
  11. "… The greatest source of error for the Americans in Iraq was not a policy mistake but an abiding belief that they alone made the political weather. Anything good or bad which happened was the result of American action. Thus if the Sunni insurgency against American forces started to come to an end in the second half of 2007 it must be because of the "surge", as the 30,000 extra US troops and more aggressive tactics on the ground were known. The real reason for the fall in violence had more to do with the Shia victory over the Sunni in an extraordinarily savage civil war, a reaction against Al-Qa'ida, and the ceasefire called by the Mehdi Army to which belonged most of the Shia death squads.…"

It's amazing how many Seppo Officers buy into the belief the surge ended things.

They are going to get the shock of their lives when a Shiite dominated Iraq tells them to FOAD.
  12. I am concerned that the militias are just biding their time. They knew that the US will eventually pull the majority of its troops out but "when" was the question. Now that they know the time line they can placate their followers a bit more. When the US goes I reckon it will descend into more mayhem. I may be wrong and I do hope that I am but ....
  13. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Of course they are, flymo. They wwill wait until the Yanks are in a position where they are a token force and political will will not allow a reinvasion and make their move. I predict the whole Gulf region to be in the hands of Iranian backed governments by 2020. We'd best get ourselves ready, because once the Iranians master their delivery systems, Israel's days are numbered.

Obama's speech should be taken with a pinch of salt. He is still bankrolled by rich corporate entities who invariably have their eyes on the mineral and redevelopment dollar. In his words, 'you done that job'. I'l say the same when he closes his side of the bargain.

Like it or not, we are going to have to talk to the Iranians one day.

14. Of course his speech should be taken with a pinch of salt. The main thing that concerns me about this man is that he has been built up to thie messianic status, and everyone seems to be forgetting that he is a politician, and therefore anything he says should be viewed with a raised eyebrow. Even if he truly means everything he said in the run up to his election, there is no way he will be able to do it all as it would seriously p1ss off too many people in the establishment and they would block him. I'm just afraid of what will happen when people become disappointed.

I also note that whilst he'll be pulling out the combat troops, but will be leaving up to 50,000 troops for God knows how long there, for training purposes. Evidently US troops can't multitask, as I thought we've been training the Iraqis whilst we've been there?!